Sponsored by:

Looks like Harvey claimed at least 10 996s

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2017, 12:26 PM
Kris Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 113 Posts
Default Looks like Harvey claimed at least 10 996s

Browsing Copart for 996s as I do on a weekly basis, I noticed a ton at the Houston location.

Some in much worse shape than others.

Somewhat encouraging is the estimated retail values they have on some of these cars.

High teens to low 20's for the 3.4L and over 30K for the 3.6L.

https://www.copart.com/vehicleFinder...null%7D&page=1
Old 09-29-2017, 12:52 PM
Looneybin
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

is a submerged motor rebuildable?
i wouldn't think you would need to replace TOO many parts
if they're cheap, someone (Raby) should snag them - rebuild them with his upgrades - and have some type of "exchange program"
Old 09-29-2017, 12:53 PM
lowpue
Rennlist Member

Received 536 Likes on 259 Posts

Yep...it breaks my heart to see all those cars get destroyed (and even more so when I look at the lives that are ruined). However, fewer cars will mean higher prices.
Old 09-29-2017, 01:09 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Well we know of at least two from one of our own: https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...e-for-now.html

From his history (https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...w-2002-c2.html) we find these pics which could be this car
Old 09-29-2017, 01:15 PM
TonyTwoBags
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by gnat
Well we know of at least two from one of our own: https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...e-for-now.html
holy sheet

Old 09-29-2017, 01:17 PM
lowpue
Rennlist Member

Received 536 Likes on 259 Posts

yeah...really terrible....I saw that picture of the car before....I couldn't figure out how it could look so bad....what is all of that stuff on the interior.
Old 09-29-2017, 01:25 PM
gnarbowski
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Possibly mold and sludge. That is absolutely disgusting.
Old 09-29-2017, 01:29 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by lowpue
yeah...really terrible....I saw that picture of the car before....I couldn't figure out how it could look so bad....what is all of that stuff on the interior.
My bodyshop has a XK8 from NJ or somewhere that a customer sent to him after the late 2012 hurricane that hit there. The guy keeps swearing he wants to restore it, but it's been sitting there ever since. You couldn't see any original surface after about 2 months and a year in and you could no longer see through the windows anymore. I can't even imagine what it looks like inside if you open the door at this point

Wonder how many of these will get their titles washed and get foisted onto some unsuspecting person that will come to hate the 996
Old 09-29-2017, 02:29 PM
thebowl
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I wonder what those estimated values are based on. I'm not complaining about the numbers, just wondering if they really mean anything. Insurance companies are going to use the smallest number they can justify in adjusting a "total" loss.
Old 09-29-2017, 02:35 PM
Kris Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by thebowl
I wonder what those estimated values are based on. I'm not complaining about the numbers, just wondering if they really mean anything. Insurance companies are going to use the smallest number they can justify in adjusting a "total" loss.
yeah, that is why I was surprised they were so high. You would think typically insurance companies would use the lowest figure possible.

I have a friend that just had his 2008 GTI totaled, which is currently on Copart. The number that they are using for retail value on Copart is the same number that the insurance company told him, and what he got as the payout, minus the deductible, so it is not Copart inflating the retail number.

I wonder what is listed if it was an agreed value policy?
Old 09-29-2017, 02:40 PM
thebowl
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Kris Murphy
yeah, that is why I was surprised they were so high. You would think typically insurance companies would use the lowest figure possible.

I have a friend that just had his 2008 GTI totaled, which is currently on Copart. The number that they are using for retail value on Copart is the same number that the insurance company told him, and what he got as the payout, minus the deductible, so it is not Copart inflating the retail number.

I wonder what is listed if it was an agreed value policy?
Could be but, if that were the case, the numbers shouldn't be shown as "estimated retail value". That wouldn't be an "estimated" value.
Old 09-29-2017, 02:48 PM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,153 Likes on 790 Posts

"Somewhat encouraging is the estimated retail values they have on some of these cars.
High teens to low 20's for the 3.4L and over 30K for the 3.6L."

Those are "dream" prices, not salvage prices. That's supposedly what they would be worth retail if they weren't wrecked. Too bad there's nothing to base that on since the car is already totaled. What if it had a dead engine before it was flooded? There's no way to tell at this point, so those numbers are totally moot! Those cars are worse less than nothing as "re-buildable"... I'm sure someone will pay something for them, but not much - I'd be surprised if someone paid more than $1k in that condition... That shift **** is nice though... ** Not laughing at the owners misfortune (thankfully he was covered by insurance) I just thought it a little ironic that the most desirable part of the car at this point is the shift ****!
Old 09-29-2017, 03:48 PM
TonyTwoBags
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I want dat shift **** too... didn't say anything as it looks to be a Rennlister's recently deceased 911.
Old 09-29-2017, 04:22 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,665 Likes on 918 Posts

Originally Posted by TonyTwoBags
holy sheet

Sheeeze, it's eating up with mold and mildew so bad I want to put on a respirator just looking at the picture!
Old 09-29-2017, 04:24 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by b3freak
Sheeeze, it's eating up with mold and mildew so bad I want to put on a respirator just looking at the picture!
Yeah I hope anyone having to open those cars (and god forbid sticking their head in) had a full biohazard suit on. Somehow doubt it though

I'm not super paranoid over mold like some, but I wouldn't want to breath within 20' of those cars

Quick Reply: Looks like Harvey claimed at least 10 996s