Sponsored by:

FYI - You CAN adjust exhaust tip / bumper gap

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2017, 12:27 PM
charlieaf92
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 52 Posts
Default FYI - You CAN adjust exhaust tip / bumper gap

Something that bothered me from day 1 was that my driver's exhaust tip was lower than the passengers. A quick search told me that it was a sign of sagging motor mounts, so I promptly replaced them. It helped on the passenger side, but my driver's side was still about .5-1" lower than it should have been. I did a bit more research and found a few people that said adjustment is possible, and others that said it isn't.

When installing my Fister mufflers I took the opportunity to get things evened out. There is a band clamp that holds the pipe with the exhaust tip to the output pipe on the muffler and the joint itself is kind of like a ball joint. You can loosen the clamp and move the pipe around, positioning the exhaust tip.

So - for those of you struggling with uneven exhaust tips, it may not be your motor mounts at all (although its worth checking them because if they're original, they probably are shot).

Cheers
Charlie
Old 09-26-2017, 12:36 PM
wildbilly32
Drifting

Received 774 Likes on 496 Posts

Interesting! Next time I crawl under I will look at that. I have new motor mounts to install, but have noticed the tips are not even in the horizontal plane. It appears that in a previous life my car was driven up and down a high slant short driveway to road. There are significant pavement scrapes on the bottoms of the exhaust tips. One is definitely at a higher angle from horizontal than the other. New motor mounts might put it up against the bumper cover.

Thanks for the tip!(No pun intended!)
Old 09-26-2017, 12:45 PM
charlieaf92
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by wildbilly32
Interesting! Next time I crawl under I will look at that. I have new motor mounts to install, but have noticed the tips are not even in the horizontal plane. It appears that in a previous life my car was driven up and down a high slant short driveway to road. There are significant pavement scrapes on the bottoms of the exhaust tips. One is definitely at a higher angle from horizontal than the other. New motor mounts might put it up against the bumper cover.

Thanks for the tip!(No pun intended!)
I had some pretty deep scrapes on the bottom of mine as well. Not sure how its even possible - maybe loading/unloading from a flatbed.

Both of my band clamps were totally corroded and required replacement. Pelican sells them for like $10 each.

Essentially, I assembled it all out of the car and loosely clamped everything. Then, once I got the bumper back on - I adjusted the positioning and tightened everything down. Removing the bumper isn't necessary unless you just prefer more space to work - or run into a bunch of bolts that need to be cut off (like I did). When you put it back together, make sure that you orient the band clamp so the nut side is on the outside of the car and facing forward. This will give you access to loosen/tighten as needed when everything is back in the car.

Cheers
Charlie
Old 09-26-2017, 12:48 PM
Paul Waterloo
Rennlist Member

Received 216 Likes on 139 Posts

Picture is worth 1,000 words...I think one of mine is off a little bit, I have after market tips.

Old 09-26-2017, 01:11 PM
Billup
Burning Brakes

Received 592 Likes on 330 Posts

The BBE exhaust I purchased has a secondary clamp, but it's not flared like the OEM so it gives you some extra movement to line up the tips a little better.

I however, have been very lazy and the passenger side needs to be adjusted here soon.
Old 09-26-2017, 03:13 PM
KoB
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yup, I have Fabspeed mufflers and tips and the driver's side is about 1/2" low. I'm going to fix it Real Soon Now.
Old 09-26-2017, 03:51 PM
Botsy67
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

There is also a little up/down adjustment on the 3 exhaust mounting bolts that attach to the exhaust bracket to the car frame body. You can push the muffler up while trying to tighten those 3 bolts, not easy when you are upside down and trying to do 2 things at the same time but can definitely help get some minor exhaust-tip height adjustments. For me the 2nd adjustments at the tip bracket is more subtle but can make the 2 tips look even and perfectly matched with each other with respect to the bumper edge. Cheers,
Old 09-26-2017, 04:26 PM
joseph mitro
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 158 Posts

Hm, good to know!

Explains why my muffler tip location didn't change after installing new motor mounts.
Old 09-26-2017, 07:33 PM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Received 933 Likes on 622 Posts

When I first got my car I spent a hour adjusting the exhaust tips because they were uneven. Then I learned about how the motor mounts on these cars don't last very long...so I replaced the motor mounts, and then had to adjust the tips right back to where they were in the first place LOL.

Noob mistake.

I know you said you already did the mounts...just sharing my noob stupidity story.
Old 09-26-2017, 09:28 PM
tekkie
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Nickshu
When I first got my car I spent a hour adjusting the exhaust tips because they were uneven. Then I learned about how the motor mounts on these cars don't last very long...so I replaced the motor mounts, and then had to adjust the tips right back to where they were in the first place LOL.

Noob mistake.

I know you said you already did the mounts...just sharing my noob stupidity story.
same here lol, and i screwed around until i got totally pissed off because it still wasnt right lol. those things are a pain to adjust
Old 04-27-2018, 04:17 PM
Horsepwr
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I know I am late to the party but this is great advice, I will be adjusting mine tomorrow!
Old 04-27-2018, 04:39 PM
professorman
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by charlieaf92
So - for those of you struggling with uneven exhaust tips, it may not be your motor mounts at all (although its worth checking them because if they're original, they probably are shot).
Wow! You are a life saver! I have been asking my mechanic about that and he assured me there was no adjustment and showed me how sturdy the muffler was mounted to the car. Luckily I am going down to his shop tomorrow, so I have something else on my to-do list now!
Old 04-28-2018, 11:27 PM
Mike_A
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by professorman
Wow! You are a life saver! I have been asking my mechanic about that and he assured me there was no adjustment and showed me how sturdy the muffler was mounted to the car. Luckily I am going down to his shop tomorrow, so I have something else on my to-do list now!
Your mechanic, a mechanic? said there was no adjustment....wtf, I think I might take that title away from him. How does he think new tips are mounted? By welding them on maybe
Old 10-08-2018, 12:40 PM
gnargusto
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So Ive loosened the band clamp closest to the tips. Im not getting much up/down adjustment. Laterally and diagonally yes. But I was hoping to get some lift to get them flusher with the cutouts. Im not seeing how this clamp alone would achieve this. To be fair, I have 130k on the clock and don't know when or if the motor mounts were ever done. Car feels good though. By chance am I missing an adjustment here?
Old 10-08-2018, 01:06 PM
JohnCA58
Rennlist Member

Received 333 Likes on 208 Posts

You need to make sure the clamps are free from both the tips and the muffler outlet, when I make the adjustments I have to use a long punch or screwdriver to break loose the clamp from both pipes. if only one breaks loose, you will have very limited movement of the tips. GL

Quick Reply: FYI - You CAN adjust exhaust tip / bumper gap