Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Gundo Vs Fister

Old 10-23-2017, 04:09 AM
Raven 666
Drifting

Received 90 Likes on 53 Posts

fister did mine sounds like heaven ..........

Old 10-23-2017, 02:10 PM
Chris(MA)
Burning Brakes

Received 149 Likes on 67 Posts

Update to this. I got sucked into lots of home projects and repairing things (not car related) so side tracked.

I'm heavily leaning towards Fister mod but with the on/off valves installed, so I can run quiet if I want for long road trips.

Will update when my time frees up for more fun projects...
Old 10-23-2017, 04:50 PM
charlieaf92
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris(MA)
Update to this. I got sucked into lots of home projects and repairing things (not car related) so side tracked.

I'm heavily leaning towards Fister mod but with the on/off valves installed, so I can run quiet if I want for long road trips.

Will update when my time frees up for more fun projects...
With the windows up, I don't really notice a difference between my fister mufflers and stock when driving at a constant speed or at idle. Its just when you put your foot down that the fisters come to life. If you get the switch, I bet you're going to have it on loud mode and never turn it off.

Consider this. There is a 50+ page thread of people debating what type of oil to use, and a similar thread about whether or not to cover the spoiler when washing your car. Yet the fister mod has virtually unanimous approval among everyone here. That's pretty incredible.
Old 10-23-2017, 05:25 PM
TonyTwoBags
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I bet we could eke out 10 pages on this.
Old 10-24-2017, 03:23 AM
Raven 666
Drifting

Received 90 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by charlieaf92
With the windows up, I don't really notice a difference between my fister mufflers and stock when driving at a constant speed or at idle. Its just when you put your foot down that the fisters come to life. If you get the switch, I bet you're going to have it on loud mode and never turn it off.

Consider this. There is a 50+ page thread of people debating what type of oil to use, and a similar thread about whether or not to cover the spoiler when washing your car. Yet the fister mod has virtually unanimous approval among everyone here. That's pretty incredible.
I can agree you would,nt need valves.............when cruising the Fister mufflers are quiet ,,they only come to life when you get on it ...and you get a classic flat six howl I have 1 inch and 3/4 bypass pipe on mine ,,love it ,,my video above is not a very good representation of the sound quality as it is filmed with and old iPhone 5
Old 10-24-2017, 09:31 AM
Sneaky Pete
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris(MA)
That is called PSE (Porsche Sport Exhaust). Like others have alluded too, with a FisterD your foot is the on/off valve. Or look at Fabspeed for their version of PSE but it is crazy stupid money. I have actual Fisters and couldn't be happier. And maybe to offer some clarity regarding gundo or Fister......the gundo hack is just that, a hack. Take your cans to a muffler shop and have them weld in a pipe. It will look aftermarket because it is a crap shoot with what you will have in return. With the Fister you send your cans to them and you get them back looking very high quality and the music is unbelievable. They actually look oem if you didn't know any better.

Good luck!

ps......what oil do you use?
Old 10-24-2017, 02:23 PM
Chris(MA)
Burning Brakes

Received 149 Likes on 67 Posts

The exhaust valves are available on ebay for welding in. Looks like 2.5" is the smallest they make them in however.

I think the regular simple pipe bypass would be fine for me, however the car gets used for road trips with wife and with wife/son, so if they aren't happy about any noise I'll never hear the end of it, and going back and swapping mufflers again is something I don't want to do.

So adding the valves means I can dial back to stock if I want to.

Oh and I run castrol syntec but swapping to shell rotella T6 in the future
Attached Images  
Old 10-24-2017, 03:59 PM
Cosmo Kramer
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Sneaky Pete
That is called PSE (Porsche Sport Exhaust). Like others have alluded too, with a FisterD your foot is the on/off valve. Or look at Fabspeed for their version of PSE but it is crazy stupid money. I have actual Fisters and couldn't be happier. And maybe to offer some clarity regarding gundo or Fister......the gundo hack is just that, a hack. Take your cans to a muffler shop and have them weld in a pipe. It will look aftermarket because it is a crap shoot with what you will have in return. With the Fister you send your cans to them and you get them back looking very high quality and the music is unbelievable. They actually look oem if you didn't know any better.

Good luck!

ps......what oil do you use?
The Gundo "hack" actually replicates the way Porsche makes PSE, without the valve and on - off switch. The internal chambers in the muffler are the same and actually designed to work this way, just not connected unless you got that option.

I know that Fister does quality work, but their design just diverts a portion on the exhaust from the inlet of the mufflers to the tail pipe, where with the Gundo, all the exhaust still flows through the muffler. Also, the Gundo connection is way up on top of the mufflers, and once installed they look 100% stock, you have to take the bumper cover off to see the modification.

It's all a matter of what sound you want at the end of the day, but to say that Fister looks factory is not correct. The Gundo mod is the exact way Porsche does it for their PSE.
Old 10-25-2017, 02:19 PM
Sneaky Pete
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Cosmo Kramer
The Gundo "hack" actually replicates the way Porsche makes PSE, without the valve and on - off switch. The internal chambers in the muffler are the same and actually designed to work this way, just not connected unless you got that option.

I know that Fister does quality work, but their design just diverts a portion on the exhaust from the inlet of the mufflers to the tail pipe, where with the Gundo, all the exhaust still flows through the muffler. Also, the Gundo connection is way up on top of the mufflers, and once installed they look 100% stock, you have to take the bumper cover off to see the modification.

It's all a matter of what sound you want at the end of the day, but to say that Fister looks factory is not correct. The Gundo mod is the exact way Porsche does it for their PSE.
I said if "They actually look oem if you didn't know any better". What oil do you use?
Old 10-25-2017, 04:13 PM
TonyTwoBags
Three Wheelin'

Dollar store has a sale on 5w30.
Old 10-25-2017, 04:38 PM
Cosmo Kramer
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Sneaky Pete
I said if "They actually look oem if you didn't know any better". What oil do you use?
Whatever is on sale. Last oil change was Pennzoil Euro 5w40. Next one is Mobil 1 0w40, got a killer deal on some jugs. I would also use Titan, LiquiMoly or Fuchs as well but they don't go on sale very often.
Old 10-25-2017, 08:57 PM
TonyTwoBags
Three Wheelin'

Name:  3WyA7G9.gif
Views: 552
Size:  3.86 MB
Old 10-26-2017, 02:55 PM
Vimmer
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2001 996 C4 and just had the Fister Mod done to it. A 2"Stainless Steel Pipe welded between the inlet and outlet...best modification i have done to date...the sound is AWESOME! I love it...either way you will be happy with the throatier sound...It makes it even more fun to drive
Old 10-27-2017, 05:25 PM
bumerang911
Intermediate

+1 Fister, no drone, great sound
Old 10-31-2017, 02:02 AM
alturan44
Rennlist Member

I guess the question is, is the Fister loud enough? Do you have to get on it to hear it or is it always a great sound as long as you are accelerating?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Gundo Vs Fister