Sponsored by:

996 911 dumped a lot of oily water on floor

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2017, 10:08 PM
sjmsmart
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 996 911 dumped a lot of oily water on floor

I have just bought a 996 911 3.4 tiptronic with a good service history etc, checked it over best I could and as have had 2 x 986 boxtsers and I thought I had checked enough to have found a good one.

There was some slight white build up in the oil tube but hardly anything on the cap both when I first looked at the car and when I tested it today and paid, but everyone I spoke to advised that this was quite normal.

There was no smoking, it did lose a little oil on the way home on a two hour drive but was running correctly with 1.5 pressure on the oil pressure gauge.

However when I got it home this evening I noticed a dropping of liquid onto the exhaust with a hiss/hissing. And when I looked under the car to my dismay water was literally gushing/dumping somewhere in the top back left of the engine bay. There is a large amount of coolant on the floor, there is oil in the coolant and there is oil on the outside of the water expansion tank/cap (I have not opened it as it is too hot but I can only guess that it is full of oil). This was all happening with the engine off as in water pushing its way out.

I am gutted, and fear the worse as in head gasket, cracked head, but some people have said on forums if there is water on the floor even with oil in it there can be other causes like oil air separator, pipes and or oil/water cooler.

I will try to get it to my garage early in the week, and have emailed the garage I bought it from but I would be grateful if someone could offer me some advice please.

Some pictures attached.
Attached Images    

Last edited by sjmsmart; 09-23-2017 at 10:10 PM. Reason: Missed info from original draft.
Old 09-23-2017, 10:20 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

Not good if oil is mixed with coolant. Take it back!
Old 09-23-2017, 10:27 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Are you in England? I hope you have some favorable consumer protection laws. Good luck.
Old 09-23-2017, 10:37 PM
KoB
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 808Bill
Not good if oil is mixed with coolant. Take it back!
This. Get your money back and run -- don't walk -- away.

With oil in coolant, you're likely looking not only at engine repair but also at replacement of compromised coolant lines.

FWIW, 1.5 bar of oil pressure is way too low, except at idle. If you were seeing this on the drive home, you probably drove a hurt car off the lot.
Old 09-24-2017, 12:14 AM
sjmsmart
AutoX

Originally Posted by KoB
This. Get your money back and run -- don't walk -- away.

With oil in coolant, you're likely looking not only at engine repair but also at replacement of compromised coolant lines.

FWIW, 1.5 bar of oil pressure is way too low, except at idle. If you were seeing this on the drive home, you probably drove a hurt car off the lot.
Thanks, sorry if I wasn't clear, it was 1.5 at idle.
Old 09-24-2017, 12:18 AM
sjmsmart
AutoX

Originally Posted by LexVan
Are you in England? I hope you have some favorable consumer protection laws. Good luck.
Yes in England, UK law has this fairly well covered with a 30 day right to reject and that within the first 6 months any fault is assumed to have already been present and therefore the buyer is protected:

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-righ...mer-rights-act
Old 09-24-2017, 12:25 AM
TonyTwoBags
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Must have been a minor head crack that needed a long drive to manifest. Unlucky event - good luck with the return. FWIW head repair isn't nearly as bad as a full engine rebuild & coolant lines can be saved if you caught it early enough. The coolant cap pic sure does look like intermix.
Old 09-24-2017, 12:32 AM
sjmsmart
AutoX

Originally Posted by TonyTwoBags
Must have been a minor head crack that needed a long drive to manifest. Unlucky event - good luck with the return. FWIW head repair isn't nearly as bad as a full engine rebuild & coolant lines can be saved if you caught it early enough. The coolant cap pic sure does look like intermix.
Many thanks
Old 09-24-2017, 04:15 AM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 441 Likes on 284 Posts

You should also not be losing any oil in a two hour drive. The seller is scamming you with a bad car. Seems like you can return it, per your laws there. Get your money back and find a better car.
Old 09-24-2017, 06:02 AM
Noz1974
Burning Brakes

Received 59 Likes on 40 Posts

Yes take it back, did you buy privately or from a car dealer??
A dealer may try to keep you on the hook and say they will repair the car but this needs a full rebuild and there's only a few good places , I'd insist on money back , it could be a while to get this sorted, the garage needs to get the car back and have it properly repaired then maybe re sell, private seller hopefully will refund you ??
Old 09-24-2017, 08:28 AM
sjmsmart
AutoX

Thank you all for your help/advice, for now I have emailed the dealer with pictures and asked them to initiate their next steps as in take the car back, I will then take whatever action is needed to have this resolved for me.

Below is some more info in the meantime:

I have just opened the reservoir, it is thick dark brown oily gunk filled quite high.
The oil filler tube has some white mayo in it.
The dipstick is clear.
Pictures below:
Attached Images    
Old 09-24-2017, 01:15 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

They tried to pull a fast one on you...
Old 09-24-2017, 01:31 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 47 Posts

Definitely try to return the car. There's no cheap way to fix this.
Old 09-24-2017, 02:35 PM
sjmsmart
AutoX

The garage have emailed me to say they will arrange for it to be collected this week and get it sorted.

I am also covered very well by UK consumer law should I decide to have a refund.

I also noticed oil spray around the front wheel arches inside and outside and on the wheels (see pics), so not sure if the coolant system has also been compromised with oil at the front end of the car?
Attached Images   
Old 09-24-2017, 02:56 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Originally Posted by sjmsmart
I also noticed oil spray around the front wheel arches inside and outside and on the wheels (see pics), so not sure if the coolant system has also been compromised with oil at the front end of the car?
That looks like excess tire shine. Or, excess lipstick on a pig.

Quick Reply: 996 911 dumped a lot of oily water on floor