996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Chewed Up Bolt Found in Oil Pan

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2017, 11:41 AM
T.Dub
Track Day

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

You say that nothing broke, blew up, or fell off- sounds good enough for me. Buying more snap-on/mac tools is fun, but I think I'd be well suited to preserving the budget for other maintenance.
Old 09-27-2017, 12:46 PM
texcwa
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by T.Dub
Would you mind sharing which in/lb torque wrench you bought, and if you're happy with it?
I too am not a avid mechanic and did not want to spend allot but have been very happy with my Tekton 1/2 drive 10 - 150 ft lb torque wrench so got their 1/4 drive 20 - 200 in lb (1.66 - 16.66 ft lbs) and was as pleased with it.

Many brands out there and up to you what you feel most comfortable with. I always store it with no compression on spring and ALWAYS do a check on a bolt in vise (just for feel and to insure I hear the click) before using it.
Old 09-27-2017, 04:55 PM
texcwa
Racer

Default Update

Thought I would post this update for those that followed this thread and provided much welcome advise.

As you know, during my last 3k mile oil change I found a broken bolt and piece of aluminum in my sump. After reading many responses and talking to several Porsche mechanics, I elected to perform some due-diligence steps (shown below) and hoping that the bolt was nothing more than something dropped into motor during some previous work and that there was no internal damage to the motor.

• Cutting open filter and inspect
  • Thoroughly cleaning out sump
  • Sending oil sample to Blackstone
  • Using a borascope to inspect what I could through bottom of motor

After finally completing the above (except for Blackstone analysis that I should get by tomorrow), I re-installed sump cover (no leaks), installed the new Oil Pressure Sensor, filled with DT40 and started it up preying that all would be good.

After starting up, I was pleased that the motor ran very smooth with no noise what soever, ref Youtube texcwa-996-1 below. After topping off oil, took it for a test drive. Drove it for approx 30 minutes alowing it to warm up then doing some spirited driving. After returning the car was still running smooth with no unusual noised (none at all) and a very smooth idle, ref Youtube texcwa-996-2 below. Hopefully I dodged the bullet and the car will continue to give me the pleasure it has.

I still plan on sending out for a second oil analysis in at approx 500 miles (as recommended by another Rennlister). I will also be posting the Blackstone Analysis I receive tomorrow if I have any concerns or questions.

At this point, I only have one more question. I noticed while driving the car that my oil pressure would top off at 4.5 bars (never would budge above that to the 5 bar max). I did do a search on this site where others experienced the same thing after installing a new sensor but after time the readings came back to normal. Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks again to all that participated in this thread and will update if anything changes.

Tex

Old 09-27-2017, 07:59 PM
RngTrtl
Drifting

Received 99 Likes on 64 Posts

At this point, I only have one more question. I noticed while driving the car that my oil pressure would top off at 4.5 bars (never would budge above that to the 5 bar max). I did do a search on this site where others experienced the same thing after installing a new sensor but after time the readings came back to normal. Has anyone else experienced this?

I dont follow your question.
Old 09-27-2017, 08:03 PM
Cosmo Kramer
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 71 Posts

My car never hits the five bar line and has a new sensor as well. Idles at 1.5- 2 warm depending on outside ambient temperature.
Old 09-27-2017, 09:21 PM
texcwa
Racer

Originally Posted by Cosmo Kramer
My car never hits the five bar line and has a new sensor as well. Idles at 1.5- 2 warm depending on outside ambient temperature.
I only brought this up since my car always ran at 5 bars when on the gas, then I got the "engine failure light" with o bars on two occasions where before I could turn off key, the light would go off and I would have pressure again. (this is why I installed the new pressure sensor) Also noticed during this time that my oil pressure would be at about 4.5 bars but after coming to an idle would go back to 5 when I put some rpm's on the motor. I figured that since I had the debris in the pan, this debris just partially blocked the pick up tube but now I don't know??? Could it be that the new sensor just has a different way of reading the actual pressure?? or could I have something else going on?

Have now driven the car on several occasions today and everything else seems normal.

Last edited by texcwa; 09-27-2017 at 09:25 PM. Reason: Added info
Old 09-27-2017, 09:30 PM
RngTrtl
Drifting

Received 99 Likes on 64 Posts

I gotcha now. Your oil pressure is fine above 1 BAR after the oil get to operating temp. Honestly I dont recall, but I think that you not getting to 5 BAR as well is normal as well unless it is cold as hell outside. If it only got to like 3 or 3.5 BARs then I would have concern, but it seems fine at 4.5 or so. 4.5 BAR is like 65 PSI so you are way to the good.
Old 09-27-2017, 09:46 PM
Cosmo Kramer
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 71 Posts

On my car, I think the gauge won't read that high. It "pegs" a couple of needle widths below 5 bar. I am sure the actual pressure is higher then that. When hot, it idles 1.5-2.0 and pegs just below 5 bar at about 4000 rpm
Old 09-27-2017, 10:02 PM
texcwa
Racer

On my car, I think the gauge won't read that high. It "pegs" a couple of needle widths below 5 bar. I am sure the actual pressure is higher then that. When hot, it idles 1.5-2.0 and pegs just below 5 bar at about 4000 rpm
As you can see in my Youtube video, at full operating temp, the low pressure was just below 2 bars and even though I am seeing a difference on the high end, the low end so far is the same (I never ran below 1.75 bars). I know I am just overthinking everything now because of what I found during my oil change. Hopefully I will forget about it as I put the miles on just as I did when I first got the car and was constantly thinking about "IMS" but it sure takes the fun out of driving when these kinds of thoughts are on your mind.
Old 09-30-2017, 05:27 PM
texcwa
Racer

Default Update #2

Got my oil analysis back and appears to all look good. Again, plan on performing another shortly. Also have now put approx 150 miles on car since closing up and refilling with new DT40, Have driven up to operating temp, running upwards of 6500 rpms and still sounds good and runs smooth. Did I dodge the bullet? only time will tell.
Attached Images  
Old 10-01-2017, 11:05 PM
brianbbs67
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by texcwa
Thanks so much for everyone's comments and help, This question has also been brought up a couple of times, my engine appears to be original, see pic below. I asked my Indy about this and he mentioned that Porsche switched from the hex head bolts to male torque in mid to late 2004.
The bolt in this pic, above engine number, looks a lot like the one found

Quick Reply: Chewed Up Bolt Found in Oil Pan