996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Chewed Up Bolt Found in Oil Pan

Old 09-14-2017, 09:49 PM
texcwa
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Slakker
If you go with the "rock what you got" plan, I would recommend a 2nd oil analysis and filter check at 500 miles. You don't have to do a full oil change and it should provide additional peace of mind or confirm things are going downhill.
Good Idea. I am also going to use a borascope up through the two openings where I can see the crank with the oil pan cover off. I will not do anything until I get my report from Blackstone (not even refilling oil) and I will continue to check this threads for other recommendations.

Thanks
Old 09-14-2017, 10:13 PM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by Ahsai
A few things interesting in your sump photos. The bolt on the oil scrapper should be an internal hex but yours is a torx. Similar for the other bolts on the sump swirl pots.

Hard to tell how long the broken bolt is. The ones on the cam sprocket are 12mm long. The other possibilities I can think of are case bolts and cam cover bolts (both quite long though).
I believe the cam sprocket bolts are 10.9 grade, the loose bolt is 8.8 leading me to think it fell from a "simi-critical" place where it was under torqued.
Old 09-14-2017, 10:22 PM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by texcwa
Good Idea. I am also going to use a borascope up through the two openings where I can see the crank with the oil pan cover off. I will not do anything until I get my report from Blackstone (not even refilling oil) and I will continue to check this threads for other recommendations.

Thanks
Good idea, if it passes the initial inspection I would remove the spark plugs so you can turn the engine over Manually by hand CLOCKWISE ONLY while listening & feeling for any interference. If it passes that test try spinning it over with the starter to see if any unusual noise is created. All of this with oil replaced of course.
Old 09-14-2017, 10:49 PM
charlieaf92
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 52 Posts

I can't imagine an internal bolt coming loose and somehow making its way into the sump - unless it's one of the bolts that resides in the sump. Purely speculating here, but my bet is that it was dropped in during a repair or oil change.
Old 09-14-2017, 10:55 PM
tomcat
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My main concern would be how the bolt was twisted and split. Unless you drove your car upside down, the bolt damage happened coming down to the sump - don't know how a "good" bolt would work back up into the engine.

I think only the chain and rotating components could damage the bolt leading to possible damage to that component.

My concern would be that the damaged component leads to a bigger failure like a chain letting loose or some type of oil failure. The various components that could be damaged down the road are pretty expensive.

If you tear the engine down, I would check the oil strainers, under one of the hydraulic actuators in each head feeding, I believe the cam compensators, to remove any trapped metal along with all other metal particles.

This is a weird situation because I don't recall any male torx above the sump. I could see someone trying to replace the case bolts under the bell housing during an IMS job, and dropping one in the case.

Last edited by tomcat; 09-14-2017 at 11:00 PM. Reason: Grammar check
Old 09-14-2017, 11:05 PM
texcwa
Racer

Originally Posted by tomcat
My main concern would be how the bolt was twisted and split. Unless you drove your car upside down, the bolt damage happened coming down to the sump - don't know how a "good" bolt would work back up into the engine.

I think only the chain and rotating components could damage the bolt leading to possible damage to that component.

My concern would be that the damaged component leads to a bigger failure like a chain letting loose or some type of oil failure. The various components that could be damaged down the road are pretty expensive.

If you tearthe engine down, I would check the oil strainers, under one of the hydraulic actuators in each head feeding, I believe the cam compensators, to remove any trapped metal along with all other metal particles.

This is a weird situation because I don't recall any male torx above the sump. I could see someone trying to replace the case bolts under the bell housing during an IMS job, and dropping one in the case.
I too am concerned about what you commented on. I did have the IMS replaced with LN in June 2016 but have put approx 12,000 miles on the car since then and it is as smooth and quite as could be, no issues. The only other work (besides oil changes) was my 60K service March of this year when I also had them install a new water pump for preventative measures and have put over 6,000 miles on it since then.
Old 09-14-2017, 11:28 PM
charlieaf92
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 52 Posts

If that came off, got chewed up and somehow got into the sump it would have been very noticeable. The fact that you discovered it by accident and not during a tear down following catastrophic engine failure leads me to believe it was dropped in during an oil change or somehow assembled with it in there. Best course of action may be to change the oil and continue driving as you have been.

Im assuming everything has seemed normal thus far.
Old 09-14-2017, 11:39 PM
dgjks6
Drifting

Received 243 Likes on 159 Posts

This may be stupid and does not really explain the damage to the bolt, but looking at your first pic the bolt has the same markings as the bolt on the oil pan baffle. There are three bolts holding the baffle on. Are they all there?
Old 09-15-2017, 12:12 AM
tomcat
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The hope would be that the bolt did not do any internal damage. Tearing down the engine now would be expensive so maybe just listen for weird noises, which you probably do now, and monitor the oil for new metal as a sign for further damage. Feel the oil for nonferrous and a magnet for steel during oil changes.

Honestly, my experience has been that a large majority of the internals are wear parts and should be replaced when rebuilt for any expected longevity. If you continue to drive the car and have a failure, maybe you won't really need additional parts. As long as your crank, bearing carrier, IMS shaft sprockets, camshafts, bearing saddles in the head, and case are ok, most other parts should be replaced anyway during a rebuild.

Sorry you have to go through this. The cost for these types of repairs/parts are ridiculous relative to the cost of the car, and lays bare our insanity.
Old 09-15-2017, 01:21 AM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

Who ever dropped it had to know he did so...
Old 09-15-2017, 01:48 AM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,718 Likes on 1,461 Posts

I'm also in the 'somebody dropped a bolt' camp...

Even if the mechanic realized he did it, it probably didn't make it's way all the way down to the oil pan until sometime later so no even semi-easy fix. Probably didn't want to fess up to his boss or the customer realizing it might very well cost the shop a small fortune as well as his job.

Reminds me of the time I dropped a valve shim while working on my own KTM moto... Baby was GONE but not down all the way down to the oil pan. Choices were pull the engine and split the cases (BIG job!) or hope for the best. i chose option B. Ran the bike for a while listening carefully for any noises, did an oil change and found the shim in the filter screen with a few scuffs but undamaged. Engine has been running like a top for many years and miles since...
Old 09-15-2017, 02:29 AM
speed rII
Pro

If you have the service history, check if the oil fillertube has been changed.
It's secured with one m6x16 bolt.
When I changed mine, I noticed that it would be quite easy to drop the bolt in to the engine, if not being cautious.
It would go thru crankcase and end to the bottom of the oilpan. Worst case it would stop on the crankshaft carrier and fell thru when engine was running.
Old 09-15-2017, 05:23 AM
dan_189
Race Car

Received 125 Likes on 110 Posts

This thread is fascinating, sorry to the OP for the situation but im in the human error camp too. Interesting point on the oil filler neck that could solve this mystery!
​​​​
Old 09-15-2017, 08:17 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,387 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Another win for the lowly magnetic oil drain plug.

Send Jake Raby a PM and ask him to comment.
Old 09-15-2017, 08:21 AM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,153 Likes on 790 Posts

IIRC the oil filler tube is secured by 2 bolts...The dipstick is secured by only 1

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Chewed Up Bolt Found in Oil Pan