996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Question for the Detailers

Old 09-13-2017, 09:46 AM
yank_my_chain
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Question for the Detailers

I have a black '99 996. The front bumper is terribly faded and the paint is getting cracked. I know I need to get it repainted but I don't have the $ to get that done now. I waxed the car recently and tried some wax on the bumper but that only made it look worse!

Any suggestions for a product that might help it to look not so bad?

Thanks!
Old 09-13-2017, 10:05 AM
AWDGuy
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by yank_my_chain
I have a black '99 996. The front bumper is terribly faded and the paint is getting cracked. I know I need to get it repainted but I don't have the $ to get that done now. I waxed the car recently and tried some wax on the bumper but that only made it look worse!

Any suggestions for a product that might help it to look not so bad?

Thanks!
any pics? Do you have a machine polisher by any chance? Wax doesn't remove defects in the paint. To remove the fade in the clear coat, you need to polish. As for the cracks in paint...not much you can do there . You can use some touch up paint but that will be obvious.
Old 09-13-2017, 10:22 AM
Billup
Burning Brakes

Received 592 Likes on 330 Posts

Yeah once the paint starts cracking you're pretty much screwed because it's lost all adhesion to the surface. For most surface scratches you can use a compound that has a mild abrasive in it, but that's generally for surface swirls not cracks/chips.

The only real way to correct it is to have the bumper sanded and repainted, anything else will look like garbage.

Also FYI, wax is a sealant protector, not a paint corrector.
Old 09-13-2017, 11:55 AM
okbarnett
Drifting

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

you ever heard of putting lipstick on a pig? you cant fix everything with wax but you can get a orbital waxer and polish it with some fine swirl remover or polish and then wax. after that you are just wasting your time
Old 09-13-2017, 02:07 PM
jhall
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This isn't a fix but might help until you can afford to respray the bumper.

Amazon Amazon

Jon
Old 09-13-2017, 04:05 PM
Debo18D
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

These guys are spot on. You can work some magic if the paint is still intact. But after you get so deep (cracks and some rock chips) you should start over. I am about to do it to mine just because of the ridiculous amount of rock chips in the front aerokit. I will be posting some pics and step by step once I get a chance to get to it, probably in the next few months.

D.
Old 09-13-2017, 04:39 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,664 Likes on 918 Posts

I removed my front bumper myself and had it professionally paint matched and resprayed for just $300. It matched perfectly. If your bumper is in serious shape, then save the money on waxes and so called paint restoration kits and have it repainted right.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Question for the Detailers