996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

GT Car or 996 with trailer?

Old 09-11-2017, 05:31 PM
Spork
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default GT Car or 996 with trailer?

I posted on here a while ago about members road tripping their cars and got a lot of responses.

I am currently just outside of Denver (Arvada) on a road trip but in my truck, not the Porsche.

Went from northern NV across highway 50 to I-70 to Grand Junction then south to Ouray / Telluride. From there east to Pike's Peak and then up to Denver.

Some of 50 is pretty long and boring but the rest of the trip is over some fantastic roads and has had me really wanting to be in the Porsche. The amazing views has me dying to be top down driving as well.

I am in my truck because my dog travels with me and also this time of year can have really hot weather of very cold and stormy weather so I have a lot of clothes just in case. I don't think I can pack the Porsche with all my stuff so thinking about a solution.

Option 1: sell the Porsche and buy a larger touring car. I would like to have a convertible but would consider a coupe or sedan with large greenhouse for site seeing (sunroof would be nice too). I would like something with handling on par with the 996 and really would want a 6 speed manual trans. Budget would be $15 to $20K. Suggestions?

Option 2: Keep the Porsche but install a receiver hitch and pull a small trailer like this motorcycle trailer photo below. My uncle has a 996TT and a RUF and both have small receivers that he uses for a bike rack so I know it can be done. I think the small m/c trailer would give me enough extra room and other than when backing up, would not really feel it back there.

Option 3: Tow the car behind my truck and then go for days drives in various areas. This is the least desirable because inevitably I will end up towing on roads that I want to drive the car on. Plus towing can be a pain.

Any other suggestions (besides bring less crap with me! )?
Attached Images        
Old 09-11-2017, 05:54 PM
cds72911
Drifting

Received 148 Likes on 122 Posts

You could carry your extra junk in a Thule or similar roof top box on the Porsche.

Not sure how to delete this, but clearly that won't work with a cab.
Old 09-11-2017, 06:01 PM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Received 933 Likes on 622 Posts

I use a Rhino rack to carry track tires on my 996...do a search there are photos of the setup could carry cargo easily but would be exposed to the elements.
Old 09-11-2017, 06:39 PM
Spork
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Nickshu
I use a Rhino rack to carry track tires on my 996...do a search there are photos of the setup could carry cargo easily but would be exposed to the elements.
Did a search and didn't find anything for a cabrio unless I did something like this below!
Attached Images  
Old 09-11-2017, 09:02 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,665 Likes on 918 Posts

Hello Spork my friend.

This is an age old problem. Lots of my friends have gone back and forth between trucks and muscle cars, because frankly, you can't really blend the two into one. Some companies try to make you think you can have both in one vehicle, but you really can't. You'll miss one over the other every time. The Porsche 911 is a great car for short day trips or track days, but anything beyond that will be impractical especially if you're riding with a passenger or dog in your situation. The back seat is only good for children under the age of 3. Beyond that, it's just an extra area for storage.

Hate to say it, but I wouldn't put a hitch on the Porsche. Something about that seem really wrong. hahaha! I know some people install roof racks, but that's not my thing either and I wouldn't advise it on the cabriolet! hehehe If you want a more practical convertible, then maybe a Camaro or Mustang is in order? I've owned those cars, and I must say that traveling with people is much easier and you have plenty of luggage space for weekend trips. But they're not going to give you the Porsche rear engined driving experience. You might find that a Boxster would fit the bill, but again, just a two seater with limit luggage space.

I think you need to manage your trip expectations. No judging, but just a suggestion. If you're going solo and want the Porsche drive. Then, instead of doing the camping thing, go find a cheap hotel and make it a driving experience. When you have the urge for camping, then use your Chevy truck and keep you mind away from wanting the Porsche.

Or, if you have to have both on a trip, why not ask a friend to drive the truck with all the camping gear and you follow along with the Porsche. Boom... problem solved!

But don't go out and make a rushed decision. I miss my 996 every day, but I didn't have a choice, I needed to get my wife and girls in a newer SUV and frankly, I didn't have the spare cash on hand nor did I want to put my family in debt.

I've tried many times to get my wife and girls to go on trips in my sports cars, but the reality is that they prefer the comfort of their mom's Tahoe where they can stretch out and watch a movie or play games, etc. etc. Not gonna happen in the 996 nor any sports cars. I grew up with two sisters. I'm married and have two daughters and if I've learned anything about females is that they prefer comfort, security, clear direction, and driving amenities (i.e. USB for iPhone, heated leather seats, Navigation, etc.). The idea of sitting in a car that's 5 inches off the ground, listening to a loud sports exhaust system, and having to feel extreme G forces from someone rev matching a car around the mountains is right up there with walking bare foot across hot coals or having a colonoscopy.
Old 09-11-2017, 09:16 PM
Chris(MA)
Burning Brakes

Received 149 Likes on 67 Posts

Carry less stuff, its easy to get carried away with more is more, but less is more.
On my recently trip across Europe recently the 3 of us just had 3 carry on cases and some hand luggage.

Its also the cheapest option!
Old 09-11-2017, 09:25 PM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 440 Likes on 283 Posts

I would think that a trailer, while good for hauling stuff to the track, etc., would really dampen the driving experience.
Old 09-11-2017, 09:41 PM
9964runner
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Would the removable hardtop give you the option to add roof racks?
Old 09-11-2017, 10:45 PM
Dr_Strangelove
Rennlist Member

Received 933 Likes on 565 Posts

Spork, I'm writing this under the assumption that it's just you, the dog, and King Louis XIV's wardrobe traveling with you. If you have an SO with you, this may not work.

Think of the frunk as your armoire, though in this case, the armoire is more of a dumpster. Throw the clothes in the dumpster, shut the lid. Get a nice car seat cover for the passenger seat and Rover sits next to you. Snacks & dog stuff in the footwell. Cooler #1 for drinks in the passenger rear seat, (small cooler, obviously.) Cooler #2 in the driver rear seat with your food, snacks, more clothes, whatever. Fill in the gaps between the cooler with your extra fur coats, high boots, cowboy hats, etc.

Your wingtip shoes for fancy nights, loafers, sneakers, sporting shoes, flip flops, and smoking shoes you can put in the passenger footwells.

Et voila, no?
Old 09-11-2017, 11:36 PM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 440 Likes on 283 Posts

Another solution: Get some of the "Golla on The Go" line of luggage, built specifically for the rear trunk of 996s.
Attached Images  
Old 09-12-2017, 12:03 AM
joseph mitro
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 158 Posts

sell Porsche 996.
buy BMW E39 M5.
Old 09-12-2017, 12:42 AM
KNS
Three Wheelin'

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Just you and your dog, did I misunderstand? Your 996 should have plenty of room, what on earth are you packing?

If there are more of you then the M5 or some sort of sport sedan would be the answer.
Old 09-12-2017, 02:58 AM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

This>
At the 3 minute mark.
Old 09-12-2017, 09:15 AM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Add a hitch

Here's what a friend of mine did with his Porsche back in the mid 70s when we both rode dirt bikes.
Attached Images  
Old 09-12-2017, 09:31 AM
AWDGuy
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I'd go with option #1

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: GT Car or 996 with trailer?