Sponsored by:

GT Car or 996 with trailer?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2017, 09:33 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,245 Likes on 782 Posts

There was an OE Tequipment roof transport system made for the 996 Cabriolet. I don't know if it's possible to find one, but it might work if you do.
Attached Images  
Old 09-12-2017, 09:48 AM
Spork
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Barn996
Here's what a friend of mine did with his Porsche back in the mid 70s when we both rode dirt bikes.

My idea for the trailer came from seeing track day guys pulling little trailers with tires and tools on them. The trailers that are towed behind a motorcycle like the one in my photo are very small and light, maybe 3' x 3'. I don't think it would affect the handling of the car at all as it would probably weight less than 200 pounds.

I am traveling solo with just my dog. This time of year can have a wide variety of weather traveling through the Rockies. Snow is possible at higher elevations while it will be mid 80's at lower elevations. Because of this I brought jackets and jeans as well as shorts and t-shirts.

I think the best plan for now would be to see how much I can cram in the car and lighten my load as required. Heck, I used to do cross country road trips on a motorcycle so I know I can pack lighter if needed. I have a lot of stuff on this trip because I'm driving my big *** truck!

I like the idea mentioned about using the fronk as a armoire putting stuff in there loose as opposed to trying to stuff bags in. Maybe I'll line it with a large trash bag first.

I usually carry a large cooler with sandwiches and lots of water (important when traveling across remote western desert areas) which takes up a fair amount of room. I have a soft sided cooler so should try using that instead.

If I put the dog in the passenger seat that will free p room in the back seat. I can also put stuff on the floor on the passenger side.

I'm on a two week trip now but want to come back at the end of the month for maybe just one week and will try to take the Porsche. I'll be able to pack a bit lighter then.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

(that racing VW bus was pretty cool though)
Old 09-12-2017, 10:27 AM
AWDGuy
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

A trailer will affect handling or at least how much you can push that handling.
Old 09-12-2017, 02:26 PM
joseph mitro
Rennlist Member

Received 245 Likes on 159 Posts

holy crap, that VW bus is amazing!
Old 09-12-2017, 03:41 PM
Flat6Music
Pro

Received 230 Likes on 122 Posts

The trailer is a no-go for these reasons:
1. Pulling a small trailer, at least in California (I don't know about other states' laws), limits you to a 55mph maximum speed limit.
2. Fun in the twisties won't happen.
3. More tires and an additional axle invites more problems on the road.

The roof rack system for the cabriolet looks like a reasonable option. I've seen them before for sale on Craigslist. Then you can bring all of your gear and a mountain bike too, if you wish to.

Or... pack lighter and use space saving tricks like you would for a motorcycle trip, like rolling jeans and shirts up real tight instead of folding them. Carry extra water in bladder systems instead of gallon containers, etc.

But if you do put a receiver hitch on it, something like this

https://t.harborfreight.com/automoti...ier-92655.html

might do the trick.

Have fun on the road trip!
Old 09-12-2017, 05:20 PM
Spork
Instructor

Originally Posted by Dennis C
There was an OE Tequipment roof transport system made for the 996 Cabriolet. I don't know if it's possible to find one, but it might work if you do.

Okay, this thing is really cool! I wonder if you can put the top down with it on there?
Old 09-12-2017, 09:00 PM
Mike Mullins
Rennlist Member

Received 283 Likes on 157 Posts
Default I hauled track trailer many years w 986S

I built Hitch from 304 Stainless that went where license plate is. Mounted to aluminum bumper through bumper cover, and it held rear license plate at an angle. Easy to remove if needed or wanted, but could use with stand small receiver accessories like bike rack, Cooler rack/shelf, or smaller load capacity.

Still have it and plan on using it on 996. You can't back up with it though, it will jack knife in an instant.

Trailer is Harbor Freight model with larger tires and spare.

Receiver was based on small standard size and 1 7/8" ball, Had to buy special wiring harness/adapter for tail lights ($24.00).

Hauled Track tires, Diamond plate aluminum Tool box w Jack/Tools/Air Tank/Etc.

Car Handling was never an issue, but then again, didn't track it attached

My GT3 996 friend built same for his car. still uses it for track days.

Still have both Hitch and trailer in garage, Can send PIC of hitch if you want, Trailer leans up against Garage wall. harder to get out.

Good luck
Mike
Old 09-12-2017, 09:16 PM
texcwa
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Spork
Okay, this thing is really cool! I wonder if you can put the top down with it on there?
Here is one on Ebay and it does look like you can put the top down.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-911-....c100011.m1850
Old 09-12-2017, 09:25 PM
youngbill67
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dog Solution

I had the same dilemma for the labor day weekend. Wanted to drive the 911 up north, but also had to take my dog. I could have left him with my fiance, but he loves to swim and I can't deprive him of that. I came up with a pretty good solution. This only works for one person and one dog. My dog is 65 pounds.

First I slid the front passenger seat all the way forward. Then, using a piece of cardboard, I cut a template of the general shape of the back seat, going straight forward to the back of the front seat. Once the shape was right, I used a sawsall to cut a piece of OSB in the same shape, and two 4x4s as legs for the platform. So the back of the platform rests on the rear seat, and the front has legs going down into the rear footwell.

My dog can sit up, lay down, and put his head out the window. I also still have room for things in the front seat, and in the rear seat behind the driver. I like that it keeps him on one side of the back seat too.
Attached Images    

Last edited by youngbill67; 09-12-2017 at 09:32 PM. Reason: Pictures too large
Old 09-13-2017, 09:58 PM
Spork
Instructor

Originally Posted by youngbill67
I had the same dilemma for the labor day weekend. Wanted to drive the 911 up north, but also had to take my dog. I could have left him with my fiance, but he loves to swim and I can't deprive him of that. I came up with a pretty good solution. This only works for one person and one dog. My dog is 65 pounds.

First I slid the front passenger seat all the way forward. Then, using a piece of cardboard, I cut a template of the general shape of the back seat, going straight forward to the back of the front seat. Once the shape was right, I used a sawsall to cut a piece of OSB in the same shape, and two 4x4s as legs for the platform. So the back of the platform rests on the rear seat, and the front has legs going down into the rear footwell.

My dog can sit up, lay down, and put his head out the window. I also still have room for things in the front seat, and in the rear seat behind the driver. I like that it keeps him on one side of the back seat too.

That is a neat set up. I may do the same and use a dog bed on the platform.
Old 09-15-2017, 01:07 AM
MadIrish
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by texcwa
Here is one on Ebay and it does look like you can put the top down.
Based on what I've seen on some other posts, you can either install it with the roof up or the roof down...but the roof will stay that way with the rack on (you can't open or close it with the rack on).

Not enough room under there for the roof to actuate.
Old 09-15-2017, 08:36 PM
Spork
Instructor

Originally Posted by MadIrish
Based on what I've seen on some other posts, you can either install it with the roof up or the roof down...but the roof will stay that way with the rack on (you can't open or close it with the rack on).

Not enough room under there for the roof to actuate.
Bummer. Would be a great solution if the top could go down with it on
Old 09-17-2017, 06:21 PM
Spork
Instructor

Also thinking about selling and getting a more touring oriented car. Maybe some sort of sport wagon like an Audi Quatro. Not sure what else would work well. Thought about WRX but hard to find a wagon version and most are thrashed.
Anyone have a Cayenne? They might be too big and heavy for me though.

Any others?
Old 09-17-2017, 06:37 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,245 Likes on 782 Posts

We had a Cayenne S. It was awesome. It was replaced with an Audi SQ5, which is also awesome.
Old 09-17-2017, 09:15 PM
Kalashnikov
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Have less ****. I travel to Europe and Carribean for 1 to 2 weeks with a carry on. As a man I need a daily: socks, shirt, boxers, deodorant, cologne, and one pair of shoes. Everything else is for soft *** pussies.

Quick Reply: GT Car or 996 with trailer?