Sponsored by:

Goodbye for now!

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2017, 01:18 AM
TulaneAg
Advanced

Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Goodbye for now!

I lost my 99 C2 Conv and my 02 C2 Coupe in the Hurricane Harvey floods two weeks ago. The water has just receded out of my house/garage as of Sunday morning so I'm meeting my insurance adjuster in the morning to Total the two cars. The were in my garage and water came up to the windows of both cars. Pretty sickening to see two gorgeous 996's in such sad shape right now....

The cars are the least of my worries as they will be covered under our auto insurance. I've got a couple hundred thousand dollars worth of damage to the house with no flood insurance so that will come out of pocket. We are starting demo and the road to recovery on Tuesday morning.

I've laid out a 2 year plan to pay myself back for the home construction/renovation. As soon as that happens, I'll buy my next P-car and be back at the track with you guys.

Have fun and we'll see you soon!
Old 09-11-2017, 01:23 AM
roadsession
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by TulaneAg
I lost my 99 C2 Conv and my 02 C2 Coupe in the Hurricane Harvey floods two weeks ago. The water has just receded out of my house/garage as of Sunday morning so I'm meeting my insurance adjuster in the morning to Total the two cars. The were in my garage and water came up to the windows of both cars. Pretty sickening to see two gorgeous 996's in such sad shape right now....

The cars are the least of my worries as they will be covered under our auto insurance. I've got a couple hundred thousand dollars worth of damage to the house with no flood insurance so that will come out of pocket. We are starting demo and the road to recovery on Tuesday morning.

I've laid out a 2 year plan to pay myself back for the home construction/renovation. As soon as that happens, I'll buy my next P-car and be back at the track with you guys.

Have fun and we'll see you soon!
Sorry to hear. Hopefully FEMA recovery funds can help?
Old 09-11-2017, 10:07 AM
AzDropTop
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow brother, that is terrible on many accounts. Best of luck on getting the house back together. Prayers out for you and your family!
Old 09-11-2017, 10:20 AM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,673 Likes on 923 Posts

Sorry to hear about the loss of property, but keep your head up. House, cars, boats, and other material items can be replaced, it's the lives that can't. Be thankful you and your family survived. I'm here in Georgia right now, and we're bracing for the Irma impact. Fortunately, Irma continues to move west and burn itself out. But they've closed down GA for two days as a preventive measure.

Last edited by ZuffenZeus; 09-12-2017 at 12:51 PM.
Old 09-11-2017, 04:26 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by TulaneAg
Ugh. Very sorry to hear

Given the sleaze ***** out there that like to wash titles and hide such history, you might consider posting their VINs in this thread so future interested parties have a chance of finding out the truth of their history.
Old 09-11-2017, 04:27 PM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 441 Likes on 284 Posts

Erggh! Sorry to hear of this. You have a lot to deal with.
Old 09-11-2017, 06:25 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by gnat
Given the sleaze ***** out there that like to wash titles and hide such history, you might consider posting their VINs in this thread so future interested parties have a chance of finding out the truth of their history.
Gnat makes a great point here. I have personal experience with this topic. Before I purchased my 996, I was seriously considering a Corvette. Found a used one I liked at a Chevy (yep, Chevy) dealership. I noticed the car was surprising lower than average. Just thought it was a super good deal. I asked the sales person if there was *anything* I needed to know in regards to damage, accidents, etc. She said absolutely not. She went on to say it was a great deal. Of course, I was still suspicious and decided to run the CarFax. Low and behold, the carfax had a flag on it stating the car could have been involved in "title washing". I closely, examined the history, but other than being moved through several auctions in a handful of states, I didn't see anything until...

I traced the VIN back to the original owner and found out that the car was flood salvaged by the owner's insurance agency. Apparently, the car was in a South Texas' hurricane similar to the most recent Harvey. I couldn't find who did the repairs on the car, but after I addressed it to the dealership, they quickly removed it from their inventory. Boom! They sent me an email saying that I should be an investigator. I don't blame them (other than acting like it was great without addressing the warning flag in CarFax) because they bought it at auction like many dealers, but if I hadn't done my research, I could have been stuck with a car that had lots of electrical gremlins. Yikes! Dodged that bullet.

And so, if and when you give the cars over to the insurance agency, it would be good to at least report the VIN back to the RL community if the car is put up for sale. Cheers!

Hope you find the right replacements.
Old 09-12-2017, 05:25 AM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

aaah so damn sorry for you my friend. Hope all goes well for your plans ahead.
Old 09-12-2017, 09:10 AM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Too bad for your P cars, and much worse for your home. Hope you'll bounce back after suffering such losses.
Old 09-12-2017, 02:46 PM
Gulliver
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by b3freak
Before I purchased my 996, I was seriously considering a Corvette. Yikes! Dodged that bullet.
FIFY
Old 09-12-2017, 03:04 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Gulliver
FIFY
That's funny and sooo true!!!
Old 09-13-2017, 01:34 AM
AnthonyGS
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 90 Posts

Sorry for your loss, and I look forward to hearing about your future success and the even cooler Porsches you will own.
Old 09-13-2017, 01:51 AM
Valkuri
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Appalling the loss that you, and others have suffered in these serial hurricanes.
Cars come and go. Health and safety are irreplaceable.
God be with you and yours.
Old 09-29-2017, 01:16 PM
lowpue
Rennlist Member

Received 536 Likes on 259 Posts

Sorry about the loss...
Old 09-29-2017, 01:27 PM
Billup
Burning Brakes

Received 592 Likes on 330 Posts

Sorry to hear, would be heartbroken to say the least.

Quick Reply: Goodbye for now!