Sponsored by:

New Product: Steel Hub Stands for Porsche 996/997

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2017, 01:36 PM
Carl Fausett
Developer

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts
Default New Product: Steel Hub Stands for Porsche 996/997

Description: A commercial-quality tool that belongs in every serious Porsche shop owner's garage. Better than jack-stands, makes working on your car more enjoyable, safer, and faster. Made in the USA, each all-steel hub stand weighs 18.5 lbs. and is professionally painted in a chip-resistant and durable semi-gloss black powder-coat.

As a Replacement for Jack Stands:
  • More secure than jack stands - screwed on - car cannot fall off the hub stand.
  • Places center of hub 18" off the floor. High clearance for ease of working under the car.
  • Supports the weight of the vehicle where it was intended to be supported.
  • Great for winter storage of your car, prevents flat-spotting of tires.
  • Not in the way of creepers like jack stands are.
  • Designed for vehicles up to 5,000 pounds.

Fitment: Fits all cars with a 5 X 130mm bolt circle and a hub diameter of 71.5mm or less, including:
Porsche®: 911, 918, 944, 928, 968, 996, 997, 980, 991, Boxster, Cayman, Cayenne, Macan, Panamera
Audi: Q7
VW: Touareg

Pricing: is per PAIR at $264.70

To Order:
https://928motorsports.com/parts/hub_stand.php
Attached Images    
Old 09-06-2017, 01:42 PM
dkraige
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 29 Posts

This looks great. Slight design suggestion: Why not include other bolt patterns? Including a 5x112 pattern would greatly open up the market, and make these much more useful for folks that, say, own an Audi and a Porsche...
Old 09-06-2017, 01:58 PM
Carl Fausett
Developer

Thank you - I have been swamped by "add a bolt pattern" requests, and we are considering which ones to add for our next production run now.

I don't want to put in so many bolt patterns that I weaken the tool, so I am trying to be selective.

At this moment, this model will support a 5000 lb vehicle with a safety factor of 4X according to the FEA we had done on it.
Old 09-06-2017, 02:13 PM
dkraige
Pro

Yeah definitely can't turn it into swiss cheese, but adding one other common 5-bolt pattern would work fine, especially if you rotated the pattern 36 degrees to miss the reinforcing web you have at the 6-o'clock position.

Alternatively you could slot the holes radially to cover a range of bolt circle diameters.
Old 09-06-2017, 02:33 PM
dkraige
Pro

What sort of compliance is built in to deal with different camber angles? For instance if somebody has an aggressive setup with 3-4 degrees negative camber or something, and they go to lower their car down on these, there's going to be some pretty serious stress introduced somewhere, no? Either the suspension has to bend to allow the hub to come vertical, or your product has to bend to adopt the angle of the hub...or realistically some combination of both.
Old 09-06-2017, 03:00 PM
manimal
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 85 Posts

Cool idea. Curious about the camber question, as well.
Old 09-06-2017, 04:27 PM
Kris Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 113 Posts

Silly question. Can you put these on one wheel at a time, or does the entire rear end or front end need to be up in the air? I would think that if you did one wheel at a time it might come back down at a weird angle, but I so so good a geometry anymore so I am probably wrong.
Old 09-06-2017, 04:37 PM
NYoutftr
Rennlist Member

Received 422 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by Carl Fausett
Thank you - I have been swamped by "add a bolt pattern" requests, and we are considering which ones to add for our next production run now.

I don't want to put in so many bolt patterns that I weaken the tool, so I am trying to be selective.

At this moment, this model will support a 5000 lb vehicle with a safety factor of 4X according to the FEA we had done on it.
Nice idea, anxious to hear some feedback on OPs questions
Old 09-06-2017, 04:39 PM
dkraige
Pro

Originally Posted by Kris Murphy
Silly question. Can you put these on one wheel at a time, or does the entire rear end or front end need to be up in the air? I would think that if you did one wheel at a time it might come back down at a weird angle, but I so so good a geometry anymore so I am probably wrong.
I'd think it would only work well one at a time if the height of this stand from floor to hub center was roughly the same as the radius of your wheel, so it holds the car at its normal static ride height. Otherwise, like you say, you'd end up at an odd angle.
Old 09-07-2017, 12:16 PM
Carl Fausett
Developer

Here is a picture of the foot of the hub stand on the front of a 928 with Camber set to spec alignment settings of 0.5 degree negative. You can see there is no issue.

Yes, if you are using high camber values, you will want to put something beneath the pad to allow for the pad to heel as it wants to. In the next picture (with more camber) I placed a 1/2" think rubber pad beneath to allow the pad to heel as it wanted. We are looking into providing that rubber pad with the hub stand as an "alignment package" - but you could also get your own.
Attached Images    
Old 09-07-2017, 01:25 PM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

A variation in design and an extension of function:
https://www.flyinmiata.com/hub-stands.html
or lots on You Tube

Quick Reply: New Product: Steel Hub Stands for Porsche 996/997