clunking: front swaybar bracket smashing subframe

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2017, 03:04 AM
eugizzle
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default clunking: front swaybar bracket smashing subframe

Hey, Rennlisters:

Several weeks ago, I noticed placing load at the front right of the car caused some clunking. I tried looking for any loose suspension parts after removing the front wheels, nothing. After closer inspection, I noticed severe chipping on the front right swaybar bracket. I'd imagine its from all the clunking and subframe smashing. I took it to the shop and they say the car checks out fine. Any of yall out there have any experience with this?

Mods:
Bilstein PSS10s
Front GT3 LCA
GT3 swaybars
GT3 front drop links

Attached aren't the greatest photos, but the chipping is much worse than what is shown.

Any help is appreciated, thanks
Attached Images   
Old 09-06-2017, 12:11 PM
cds72911
Drifting

Received 148 Likes on 122 Posts

Caveat, I have no real idea what I am talking about here...

Is that red collar (a Tarrett product maybe?) supposed to prevent the swaybar from moving left to right? It seems like they have too much lateral movement so they can rub. If so, couldn't you just adjust them so they don't make contact with the body?
Old 09-06-2017, 01:50 PM
dkraige
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by cds72911
Caveat, I have no real idea what I am talking about here...

Is that red collar (a Tarrett product maybe?) supposed to prevent the swaybar from moving left to right? It seems like they have too much lateral movement so they can rub. If so, couldn't you just adjust them so they don't make contact with the body?
This looks like a good call. Looks like the bar has too much end play allowed. Moving these stop closer to the bushings and making sure they're tight on the bar should prevent the bar from walking back and forth across the car as much and allowing the stops to rub.

Don't know why those stops have to be so big. Most stock swaybars just have a raised ledge in the formed metal, not a separate part. All you need is a 1/8" ledge or so, not a huge block of aluminum.
Old 09-06-2017, 02:21 PM
eugizzle
Instructor

cds72911 and dkraige,

Thanks for chiming in. You're correct, I have Tarret's GT3 sway bar and end links. Are those brackets something I can just adjust and move outwards? Do yall know if this adjustment will affect the alignment?
Old 09-06-2017, 02:25 PM
dkraige
Pro

Originally Posted by eugizzle
cds72911 and dkraige,

Thanks for chiming in. You're correct, I have Tarret's GT3 sway bar and end links. Are those brackets something I can just adjust and move outwards? Do yall know if this adjustment will affect the alignment?
Yes, you can move these around. Make sure they're tightened down on the bar well, and moved as far outboard as possible so they don't allow the bar to move back and forth.

This won't affect your alignment at all.
Old 09-06-2017, 03:19 PM
cds72911
Drifting

Received 148 Likes on 122 Posts

I'd check with Tarett on the adjustment. In my simple mind, I'd want them moved inboard as close to the bushing as possible on both sides as it can be without causing damage. This would limit any side to side movement.

Moving them outboard seems like it would increase the "slop" and risk more rubbing on the body shell and other associated noises.

Looks like it can be adjusted with an allen key, and I agree that there is no way you need to worry about alignment changes simply by relocating that collar.
Old 09-06-2017, 03:24 PM
dkraige
Pro

Yeah I may have my "inboard" and "outboard" backwards. I don't know whether these are on the inside or outside of the swaybar bushings. I assumed they were on the inside but that's probably backwards. Point is, move them as close as possible to the bushings so the bar cannot slide laterally.
Old 09-06-2017, 04:16 PM
eugizzle
Instructor

Sorry y'all. False alarm, shop just found out that the spacer within the right endlink was warped. I appreciate everyone for chiming in. Glad it's behind me now. Thank you all.

Quick Reply: clunking: front swaybar bracket smashing subframe