Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Coolant loss on freeway - what should I expect?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2017, 07:19 PM
gnochi
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Coolant loss on freeway - what should I expect?

A couple hours ago, I exited I5-SB at El Toro road, almost made it to the light, my engine died, and a bunch of steam started spewing from the deck lid. After getting a push to the gas station (in neutral) I called AAA, arranged for a flatbed tow to Callas Rennsport, and took a look in and under the back.

My accessory belt is shredded (and it was fine when I checked 2 months ago) and I have no coolant in the expansion tank.

I figure, best case scenario I need a new coolant pump (which is sitting in a box on my desk and was going to be tomorrow's project, of course), coolant lines (not sitting in a box on my desk), and belt (sitting in the box with the coolant pump).

There were no funny noises until a "thunk" on the off ramp, and it's been behaving beautifully for the couple thousand miles since my last oil change. I had the IMS Solution installed last fall so I'm not too worried about cam shenanigans.

What sort of additional damage might I be looking at?
Old 09-03-2017, 07:40 PM
Chris(MA)
Burning Brakes

Received 149 Likes on 67 Posts

if this was a blown coolant res or hose your belt would be fine, did you closely watch your temp gauge prior to failure?

Guessing perhaps your water pump failed badly or maybe you ran over debris which shot up into the underside took out a hose and shredded the belt.
Old 09-03-2017, 07:43 PM
gnochi
Instructor

It was hovering around 180F every time I looked, including right when it stopped. What I don't know is *why* it stopped...

Here's hoping that's all it was!
Old 09-03-2017, 07:51 PM
TonyTwoBags
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Do you have any engine codes? Any idea how long the car ran at max thermostat temp (~221F) after the belt went out? Do you know which coolant pipe failed?

I've had a coolant fountain in the engine compartment (February this year) but I pulled over and shut it down before the coolant dropped to the point of triggering the warning on the dash. My issue was a specific joint failure and relatively cheap to fix - at least before I learned the coil packs were cracked & flooded, causing misfires under throttle. An OBDII code reader was very helpful in limiting risk & getting it back healthy.

Another time when a belt was getting chewed up I noticed some funny idling & discovered the problem early. My belt was ruined thanks to a partially tightened tensioner pulley & the fix was $25 plus an elective replacement of the secondary tensioner pulley (changed from plastic to steel).

Neither of these things caused serious damage, but the coil packs & plugs needed replacement due to being old & compromised by coolant. The more information you can get, the better those more informed than me can help. gl
Old 09-03-2017, 08:00 PM
gnochi
Instructor

Originally Posted by TonyTwoBags
Do you have any engine codes? Any idea how long the car ran at max thermostat temp (~221F) after the belt went out? Do you know which coolant pipe failed?

I've had a coolant fountain in the engine compartment (February this year) but I pulled over and shut it down before the coolant dropped to the point of triggering the warning on the dash. My issue was a specific joint failure and relatively cheap to fix - at least before I learned the coil packs were cracked & flooded, causing misfires under throttle. An OBDII code reader was very helpful in limiting risk & getting it back healthy.

Another time when a belt was getting chewed up I noticed some funny idling & discovered the problem early. My belt was ruined thanks to a partially tightened tensioner pulley & the fix was $25 plus an elective replacement of the secondary tensioner pulley (changed from plastic to steel).

Neither of these things caused serious damage, but the coil packs & plugs needed replacement due to being old & compromised by coolant. The more information you can get, the better those more informed than me can help. gl
No codes on the dash beyond "low coolant" and the oil check returned full; I don't have a durametric, my OBD reader is at home, and the car's at Callas. The car couldn't have been at 212 more than a couple minutes - I remember it being at 180 when I merged from I-405 to I-5.

No idea which pipe or anything - it wasn't one of the ones I could see.

Sorry I don't have much information - this caught me quite flat-footed.
Old 09-03-2017, 08:03 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 47 Posts

No worries. Your car is in good hands now. I'm sure Tony will give you a satisfactory diagnosis.
Old 09-03-2017, 10:17 PM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 441 Likes on 284 Posts

Indeed. Tony is a great guy.
Old 09-03-2017, 10:50 PM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,154 Likes on 791 Posts

Originally Posted by Ahsai
No worries. Your car is in good hands now. I'm sure Tony will give you a satisfactory diagnosis.
If your car had to break somewhere, it picked a good spot. Good luck with the diagnosis
Old 09-03-2017, 11:17 PM
gnochi
Instructor

Tony did my IMSS; I saw no reason to find someone else to work with since he's local.

Honestly the timing is pretty good; I'm on business travel for the next couple weeks so I don't need the car then anyway.
Old 09-05-2017, 03:35 PM
mharrison
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

My guess is:

1. Your water pup seized which shredded the belt.
2. The thunk was the shredded belt hitting things in the engine bay.
3. The coolant is down because it leaked/blew out via the shaft and weep hole of the pump.
Old 09-15-2017, 04:10 PM
gnochi
Instructor

Update!

1) Water pump bearing failed and impeller fell to pieces.
2) Belt got all sorts of caught on errything.
3) The car stopped because voltage dropped too low for the spark plugs to fire.
4) They were able to find all the pieces of impeller right there in the cavity.
5) Hoses etc are fine.

Phew!
Old 09-15-2017, 04:33 PM
kromdom
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by gnochi
Update!

1) Water pump bearing failed and impeller fell to pieces.
2) Belt got all sorts of caught on errything.
3) The car stopped because voltage dropped too low for the spark plugs to fire.
4) They were able to find all the pieces of impeller right there in the cavity.
5) Hoses etc are fine.

Phew!
WHEW indeed......now you can have a great weekend
Old 09-15-2017, 04:51 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 47 Posts

Glad to hear you got it sorted. How many miles/yr on the old water pump?
Old 09-15-2017, 05:22 PM
gnochi
Instructor

86000 miles and 14 years, and I'd been putting the replacement off all summer >.<
Old 09-15-2017, 05:56 PM
jllphan
Rennlist Member

Received 117 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by mharrison
My guess is:

1. Your water pup seized which shredded the belt.
2. The thunk was the shredded belt hitting things in the engine bay.
3. The coolant is down because it leaked/blew out via the shaft and weep hole of the pump.
Nailed it, top work!

Glad to hear it was just a parts failure and no more.

Quick Reply: Coolant loss on freeway - what should I expect?