996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

RSS 996 Top Seller | Lightweight Underdrive Crank Pulley # 601 | In Stock

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2017, 10:16 AM
MoeMonney
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 127 Posts

So the pulley is sold for $210 seperately from the belt? And the belt alone costs $30? I just don't see why it's more expensive than the Tune Rs pulley that comes with the belt for less than $200. Am I correct that the belt is sold seperatly?
Old 08-25-2017, 10:17 AM
996lee
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have the rss under drive pulley on mine and love it
Made the steering slightly heavier which liked too ;-)
Didn't like that I had to take a dremmel to the engine to get it to fit but it was worth it
Old 08-25-2017, 01:13 PM
RSSmike
Former Vendor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by gobs
Always good to replace the bot and washer. I think the the bolt is a $3.00
We recommend replacing them.
Old 11-22-2017, 03:09 PM
RSSmike
Former Vendor

Just completed another run of the 601 Underdrive Pulleys! Back in stock for the holidays...
Old 10-05-2018, 07:11 PM
dukestreet
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Can I get the discount code? I think I spoke to you today. Thanks!
Old 10-05-2018, 08:22 PM
RSSmike
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by dukestreet
Can I get the discount code? I think I spoke to you today. Thanks!
Check your PM's.
Old 10-08-2018, 12:09 AM
Vfrealtor
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RSSmike
Check your PM's.

Hello Mike,

can you PM me the discount code please. I have my vehicle on jacks and currently working on some performance and maintenance items. Might as well install a pulley.

Old 10-08-2018, 07:46 AM
Silk
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by RSSmike
... improve cooling efficiency ...
Hi Mike, can you please elaborate this? I do not understand. Or do you mean improved efficiency under moderate and higher, near redline rpms? Like on the track.
No offence. I myself have the RSS underdrive pulley installed. But people have to be aware that the underdrive pulley's main purpose is for when tracking the car.

For normal street use one need to be straightforward and honest. The underdrive pulley is detrimental for the cooling efficiency at the moment the M96/97 engine is needing it most!
At low/idle rpm the water pumping capacity of the waterpump is not efficient at all. With the underdrive pulley the water pump will rotate even less under these circumstances.
When coming to a standstill after a drive (which is most common in non-track conditions). the driving wind falls away, the thermostat is most probably not fully open and the water pump is not moving a lot of water. It is at these moments the engine still needs to get rid of a lot of heat. Haveing the underdrive pulley is not improving the cooling efficiency at this moment when it our engines needs it most. The probablilty of local hot spots increases and we all know what effect these have on the damage it can cause.
Old 10-11-2018, 10:15 AM
RangerRick
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 34 Posts

Silk, thank you for your input - That was a concern of mine, and the very reason why I never installed one, I do tracking events a few times a year, as both my 996's are my daily driver. Thanks again!
Old 10-11-2018, 11:31 AM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,154 Likes on 791 Posts

Originally Posted by RangerRick
Silk, thank you for your input - That was a concern of mine, and the very reason why I never installed one, I do tracking events a few times a year, as both my 996's are my daily driver. Thanks again!
Just don't let the car sit and idle and you've got nothing to worry about...
Old 10-11-2018, 01:07 PM
RSSmike
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Silk
Hi Mike, can you please elaborate this? I do not understand. Or do you mean improved efficiency under moderate and higher, near redline rpms? Like on the track.
No offence. I myself have the RSS underdrive pulley installed. But people have to be aware that the underdrive pulley's main purpose is for when tracking the car.

For normal street use one need to be straightforward and honest. The underdrive pulley is detrimental for the cooling efficiency at the moment the M96/97 engine is needing it most!
At low/idle rpm the water pumping capacity of the waterpump is not efficient at all. With the underdrive pulley the water pump will rotate even less under these circumstances.
When coming to a standstill after a drive (which is most common in non-track conditions). the driving wind falls away, the thermostat is most probably not fully open and the water pump is not moving a lot of water. It is at these moments the engine still needs to get rid of a lot of heat. Haveing the underdrive pulley is not improving the cooling efficiency at this moment when it our engines needs it most. The probablilty of local hot spots increases and we all know what effect these have on the damage it can cause.
Hi Silk, I understand your concern. We initially developed this pulley over 10 years ago on our 986 Boxster Spec Car and a 996 converted race car. During this time we supplied parts to the Boxster Spec and several other series. We did our research and development on our race cars which had all cooling fans removed from the radiators. The cars never overheated nor did it have cooling issues, given we would typically do a cool down lap before leaving the track. Subsequently we tested the 601 Pulley on a host of street cars including 986, 996, 987, and 997 and experienced no cooling issues of any kind even during the hottest California summers. We have had no reported cooling or mechanical issues having sold thousands of the 601 UD Pulley.
Old 10-18-2018, 08:35 PM
condor86
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, will this pulley fit a 2006 cayman S? Discount code would be nice! Thank you!
Old 10-19-2018, 08:33 AM
Mike Mullins
Rennlist Member

Received 283 Likes on 157 Posts

Mike,
I'd like a discount code if still available, I could use one of these.
Thanks,
Mike
Old 10-19-2018, 11:06 AM
TexSquirrel
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,389 Likes on 1,266 Posts

Link above doesn't work.

Old 10-19-2018, 12:12 PM
RSSmike
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by TexSquirrel
Link above doesn't work.

I will update link, Old website, We transitioned to a much improved user friendly platform earlier this year! There is also a direct link to homepage in my signature below.

See direct Link to 601 Pulley and Belt:
http://roadsportsupply.com/search.php?search_query=601&section=product

Quick Reply: RSS 996 Top Seller | Lightweight Underdrive Crank Pulley # 601 | In Stock