Sponsored by:

LN Spin On Filter Adapter and Flow Rates

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2017, 04:10 PM
dct911
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LN Spin On Filter Adapter and Flow Rates

I was going to have the LN spin on filter adapter installed this past oil change and my new independent shop suggested that they advise all customers not to do so since it reduces oil flow. The only thing that I could think was that by bypassing the bypass system and forcing all oil through the filter could potentially lower the flow of oil (when the bypass is open at least). Anyone had any experience actually testing flow between the 2 - oil tests etc.

I did some searches and read a few articles but not one seemed to speak to the differences in oil flow.
Old 08-21-2017, 04:46 PM
JohnCA58
Rennlist Member

Received 334 Likes on 209 Posts

Here is the alternative, OEM has a bypass built into the housing and spring tension is lost over time allowing unfiltered oil into the oil galleries. the Gold filter is also the same used on the GM LS 3 which is a V8, I am sure it has the same or more flow capability but looks smaller than the OEM but they recommend service the filter every 5K.
Old 08-21-2017, 04:58 PM
Sneaky Pete
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts

I would make your "new" indy shop your old shop and find another one.
Old 08-21-2017, 05:11 PM
wildbilly32
Drifting

Received 774 Likes on 496 Posts

Originally Posted by Sneaky Pete
I would make your "new" indy shop your old shop and find another one.
Agree. I discussed with my Indi when I bought the car and he was confused, but did not understand why as "Many European cars use the same type of filter can as the 996." After a discussion involving by-pass valves(thanks to forum participants info) he conceded. I put the LN on myself as I do my own oil changes. Easy peasy and I'm an Old guy!

There are much more knowledgeable engine guys on this forum than me and I believe them.
Old 08-21-2017, 05:25 PM
Chris(MA)
Burning Brakes

Received 149 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnCA58
Here is the alternative, OEM has a bypass built into the housing and spring tension is lost over time allowing unfiltered oil into the oil galleries. the Gold filter is also the same used on the GM LS 3 which is a V8, I am sure it has the same or more flow capability but looks smaller than the OEM but they recommend service the filter every 5K.
Has that actually been tested and verified? the spring is steel so seems unlikely
Old 08-21-2017, 05:37 PM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,091 Likes on 701 Posts

Originally Posted by dct911
I was going to have the LN spin on filter adapter installed this past oil change and my new independent shop suggested that they advise all customers not to do so since it reduces oil flow. The only thing that I could think was that by bypassing the bypass system and forcing all oil through the filter could potentially lower the flow of oil (when the bypass is open at least). Anyone had any experience actually testing flow between the 2 - oil tests etc.

I did some searches and read a few articles but not one seemed to speak to the differences in oil flow.
This makes absolutely no sense. Bypassing the bypass system when the bypass is open at least blah blah...are you hearing yourself when you speak?

The answer is NO. Put the damn thing on and move on.
Old 08-21-2017, 06:30 PM
dan_189
Race Car

Received 127 Likes on 112 Posts

+996 on install and move on.

The flow rates, burst rate etc were all tested by Jake that's why you can only use certain filters and not just any one.
Old 08-21-2017, 07:58 PM
NYoutftr
Rennlist Member

Received 422 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris(MA)
Has that actually been tested and verified? the spring is steel so seems unlikely
Originally Posted by dan_189
+996 on install and move on.

The flow rates, burst rate etc were all tested by Jake that's why you can only use certain filters and not just any one.
Are all the brands of spin on adapters the same?
Old 08-21-2017, 08:21 PM
dan_189
Race Car

Received 127 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by NYoutftr
Are all the brands of spin on adapters the same?
From what i've read the Nappa Gold (rebranded WIX filter) is the very best.

K&N were good but they have moved production from the USA to Mexico and a few have noted a quality drop.

Personally I only buy the Nappa Gold 1042 as recommended by Jake they cost me $20 each (YAY Australia) but hey "thats the way the news goes!"
Old 08-21-2017, 09:09 PM
NYoutftr
Rennlist Member

Received 422 Likes on 245 Posts

I was actually inquiring other manufacturer such as the K&N Billet adapter.
I see on the LN SITE there is a filter magnet for use with spin on filter.
I read description 3 times any other than 90 pounds of pull, they do not explain the purpose of it.
I also see a unit that is made from aluminum and looks like a replacement for oem plastic setup, it comes with a washable filter, which I have never heard of for a performance engine.
The more I research, the more I am leaning towards leaving it stock, use Porsche filters, since they have proven to provide protection for 200k miles on a M96, as posted here on RL
Old 08-21-2017, 09:30 PM
wildbilly32
Drifting

Received 774 Likes on 496 Posts

Originally Posted by NYoutftr
I was actually inquiring other manufacturer such as the K&N Billet adapter.
I see on the LN SITE there is a filter magnet for use with spin on filter.
I read description 3 times any other than 90 pounds of pull, they do not explain the purpose of it.
I also see a unit that is made from aluminum and looks like a replacement for oem plastic setup, it comes with a washable filter, which I have never heard of for a performance engine.
The more I research, the more I am leaning towards leaving it stock, use Porsche filters, since they have proven to provide protection for 200k miles on a M96, as posted here on RL
Filter mag hangs off the outside of the metal filter to grab metallic pieces flying by in the oil flow. Seen some gnarly pics of performance. I believe the washable filter is for track cars only.

You're choice on filter arrangement. Just make sure the by-pass is in place and not falling apart on oil changes. Good luck with whatever you chose.
Old 08-21-2017, 11:58 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,325 Likes on 1,961 Posts

I just use the K&N PS-7011 cartridge filter, and pop the by-pass cup and valve assembly out of the canister and fill the cup and valve with epoxy (JB-weld 2 piece Cold Weld, 10k psi compression strength, 500degree F working temp) let it cure and pop it back in. No more worry about by-passing debris and the cartridge is a lot less messy and easier to inspect.
Old 08-21-2017, 11:58 PM
KoB
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Wix 51042 = Napa Gold 1042, if you don't have a Napa handy. FWIW, my indy is an long time Porsche guy and seems to think the spin on adapter is a fine idea.

Charles Navarro and Jake Raby have posted some detailed explanations of the bypass issues with the stock filter ... for example, see the discussion starting with post #17 in this thread:

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...r-996-a-2.html
Old 08-22-2017, 12:03 AM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,325 Likes on 1,961 Posts

Oh yea, and I almost forgot till I read someone post about magnets,I also epoxy 7 .750 round magnets to the outside of the plastic canister, and yea it does catch a little ferrous dust like the magnetic drain plug and is easily cleaned from the inside of the canister.

Quick Reply: LN Spin On Filter Adapter and Flow Rates