Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Help just broke down

Old 08-20-2017, 08:28 PM
dcdrechsel
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Next time it doesn't start use your code reader to check the crank position sensor by monitoring the real time rpm .It should register the starter motor spinning -low rpm but enough to verify cps is probably not the culprit if no signal cps is probably the issue .As far as the fuel pump there is a test port on the fuel rail -if the pressure is at spec with your jumper wire then the pump is probably ok .I don't know the 2000 model but on my 99 there is also the external fuel filter which could also be a candidate .
Old 08-20-2017, 09:09 PM
Chris(MA)
Burning Brakes

Received 149 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by dcdrechsel
Next time it doesn't start use your code reader to check the crank position sensor by monitoring the real time rpm .It should register the starter motor spinning -low rpm but enough to verify cps is probably not the culprit if no signal cps is probably the issue .As far as the fuel pump there is a test port on the fuel rail -if the pressure is at spec with your jumper wire then the pump is probably ok .I don't know the 2000 model but on my 99 there is also the external fuel filter which could also be a candidate .
Will do.

I couldn't find the exact relay at pepboys so I'll order one online, in the meantime I popped the fuel pump relay open, I think its the original one as interestingly there is a black spot on the inside where the electrodes have worn and discharged material against the plastic wall. I cleaned up the contacts until my new relay arrives.

I jumped the relay and in my semi quiet garage I can hear the fuel pump running. I couldn't hear it when I was stuck as I was parked on a busy road.

I'll do as you suggest and take the code reader with me and probably more tools next time I go out. Thanks

EDIT: started the car after putting the relay back in, started first turn. I didn't drive it yet, when it was cranking the rev count didn't seem to move at all
Attached Images  

Last edited by Chris(MA); 08-21-2017 at 12:52 AM.
Old 08-22-2017, 01:12 PM
Chris(MA)
Burning Brakes

Small update, last night started the car (with the old fuel pump relay with cleaned contacts) and drove it miles to make sure it was fully warmed up, then parked it for 50 mins and went for a re-start.

It started perfectly, no hesitation on the first crank.

So still scratching my head on this...I will replace the relay when it arrives and try this test a few more times to see if it fails to hot start again.

I might also pull the emissions valve and check it this weekend.
Old 08-23-2017, 07:43 AM
dcdrechsel
Rennlist Member

There is also a relay for the coils and injectors if it happens again .
Old 08-23-2017, 12:13 PM
Jmrjimbo
Intermediate

Received 25 Likes on 9 Posts

Likely the fuel pump.is failing. Next time it doesn't start, check for fuel pressure by unscrewing the fuel line on the drivers side of the fuel rail and see if you have any pressure. it only takes a second to confirm if any gas comes out as you turn the ignition switch on. Don't need to crank the engine.Sometimes you can tap on the bottom of the tank to rattle the fuel pump a bit. Replacing the fuel pump is straightforward as long as you don't have a full tank.
Originally Posted by Chris(MA)
Small update, last night started the car (with the old fuel pump relay with cleaned contacts) and drove it miles to make sure it was fully warmed up, then parked it for 50 mins and went for a re-start.

It started perfectly, no hesitation on the first crank.

So still scratching my head on this...I will replace the relay when it arrives and try this test a few more times to see if it fails to hot start again.

I might also pull the emissions valve and check it this weekend.
Old 08-23-2017, 01:26 PM
Chris(MA)
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Jmrjimbo
Likely the fuel pump.is failing. Next time it doesn't start, check for fuel pressure by unscrewing the fuel line on the drivers side of the fuel rail and see if you have any pressure. it only takes a second to confirm if any gas comes out as you turn the ignition switch on. Don't need to crank the engine.Sometimes you can tap on the bottom of the tank to rattle the fuel pump a bit. Replacing the fuel pump is straightforward as long as you don't have a full tank.
If the fuel pump comes on with the ignition; won't I hear the pump if its quiet enough? I will try that tonight
Old 08-23-2017, 01:32 PM
Chris(MA)
Burning Brakes

There is also a relay for the coils and injectors if it happens again .
Is it in Relay location 2 as shown in this? Position 1
Attached Images   
Old 08-23-2017, 02:03 PM
Jmrjimbo
Intermediate

Received 25 Likes on 9 Posts

You can if you are close to it. Some people suggest listening at the tank with the gas cap removed.
Originally Posted by Chris(MA)
If the fuel pump comes on with the ignition; won't I hear the pump if its quiet enough? I will try that tonight
Old 08-23-2017, 06:51 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently logged a posting about how my engine would sometimes only run at maybe 1/2 power, and this was after a run and then parking, after which, loust running and difficult to start.

I thought I'd found the problem......vacuum leak at the oil filler cap.....but the problem came back yesterday. Engine would crank like a mother but would not fire up. Tried three times and finally it fired but ran very weird and low on power. This happened twice yesterday.

Today, took it into the shop that did the starter recently. They checked everything they did and found all to be ok. Then they did a scan and found the crank position sensor had logged errors. They replaced it. Engine seems fine now.......fingers crossed!

I posted this long winded reply because the OP symptoms sound identical to mine so maybe that's his problem too. Hope get gets/got home ok with the child.
Old 09-02-2017, 01:59 PM
Chris(MA)
Burning Brakes

Update to this, I ordered a new crank position sensor and a new fuel pump relay.

Fuel pump relay is in and I just tried to put my car up on ramps (driving it on) to swap out the crank sensor.

Well the car started fine and I attempted to put it up, I had to stop for 10 mins and then re-attempt.

When I tried again the car started as normal then after a few second the engine suddenly cut off, now won't start.

I tried jumping the fuel pump relay and I can hear it running, also not even a splutter from the engine.

I planned on putting in a new FI relay but hadn't done it yet as its buried under my convertible and hardtop.

Next thing I will try is plugging my reading in and see if I get an RPM reading from live data while the car is cranking. As I understand if no reading then the crank sensor is dead...

UPDATE: just plugged in the reader and cranked, ZERO rpm shown on the real time data output while the engine cranks, can anyone confirm this absolutely means its my crankshaft sensor? I'll be swapping it out anyway as I bought a new part. Thanks everyone!

UPDATE 2: took off the old crank sensor and measured some of the pins compared to the new one, found between two of the pins 1kohm resistance on the old one its infinity. So it looks like my crank sensor was dead, I'm darn lucky it worked long enough to get me home from my camping problems

Still got some clean up to do and a few other small things while the car is up in the air. Will report back on if all goes smooth once back together.

Last edited by Chris(MA); 09-02-2017 at 03:41 PM.
Old 09-02-2017, 07:50 PM
Chris(MA)
Burning Brakes

Default Fixed

Car started first time now and seems ok, I guess I'll have to try it a few more times to be sure

UPDATE: 120 mile drive today and all good!

Last edited by Chris(MA); 09-03-2017 at 06:14 PM.
Old 09-03-2017, 08:39 AM
dcdrechsel
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the update
Old 09-03-2017, 01:00 PM
AzDropTop
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great thread. Subscribed
Old 09-03-2017, 01:27 PM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

The Diagnostic Prize goes to EXTanker way back on Page 1:
"if the ecm sees no crank signal it may shut off fuel pump "
Hence the failing,heat-soaked CPS gave the spurious symptom of relay defect.
Well done ExTanker !

Last edited by Schnell Gelb; 09-03-2017 at 06:22 PM.
Old 09-03-2017, 06:15 PM
Chris(MA)
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Schnell Gelb
The Diagnostic Prize goes to EXTanker way back on Page 1:
"if the ecm sees no crank signal it may shut off fuel pump "
Hence the failing,heat-soaked CPS gave the spurious symptom of relay defect.
Well done ExTanker !

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help just broke down