996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

996 Engine Case Reman - Bullet Proof

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2019, 10:50 AM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

Congrats and sorry to hear of the back surgery (worst experience of my life)!
I followed this from the start but it's been to long and I'm not going back to read it all. What was the final cost if you don't mind?
Old 01-07-2019, 12:28 PM
ttt123
Burning Brakes

Received 201 Likes on 129 Posts

just read through this whole thread (my eyes hurt) and this stinking motor in our cars is such a roller coaster of emotions. one minute I want rebuild my motor and do as many mods as I can to it and keep my bragging rights and the next I want to pull it and swap in an American motor.

I'm going to drive it hard one last summer and come next winter... the axe drops... not sure for what lolol but I'm doing something to it lol

Truly a love hate relationship with my Porsche.

Brian
Old 01-07-2019, 12:46 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Nothing to hate on until something catastrophic happens...If it ain't broke don't fix/replace it!
Old 01-07-2019, 01:04 PM
ttt123
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 808Bill
Nothing to hate on until something catastrophic happens...If it ain't broke don't fix/replace it!
That's my point !! lol right now I love it and don't want to hate it. I read someone say in one of these threads a few months ago about the cloud hanging over our cars for this motor. I cant hate on it and I cant love it cuz it seems like being in limbo for one or the other. but worrying about it I guess wont change anything
Old 01-07-2019, 01:35 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,282 Likes on 899 Posts

Originally Posted by ttt123
just read through this whole thread (my eyes hurt) and this stinking motor in our cars is such a roller coaster of emotions. one minute I want rebuild my motor and do as many mods as I can to it and keep my bragging rights and the next I want to pull it and swap in an American motor.

I'm going to drive it hard one last summer and come next winter... the axe drops... not sure for what lolol but I'm doing something to it lol

Truly a love hate relationship with my Porsche.

Brian
See, this is something we warn people about.. Doing something “for bragging rights” sends a red flag up the pole here during our initial interviews.In my experience this reasoning makes for a project that is done for a reason that usually isn’t true, or everlasting. In the past people that did this would often get tired of the engine really quick, and once the new was worn off of it they would start considering what it cost, and second guess the purchase. For us to be able to keep someone fully satisfied they truly have to love the car first hand.

When someone says “all my friends are really interested in what this will turn out like” l wish l hadn’t accepted the job. Its your car, and you are paying the bill. Do what you want for the long term.

Just wanted to throw that out there as a bit of a reality check for those who may read this and consider things based on this. l have gotten more and more specific with my questions at the beginning of a project these days, and l often will ask someone for some exact reasons why they want to go this route. l would rather divert them to another idea, rather than having a potential less than perfect scenario unfold due to an expectation that wasn’t clearly set up front. At the end of the day we have to be honest, and understand that probably 1% of 996 owners truly want, and need, our engine at the present.

It would be akin to a fellow marrying a girl just because she had some really nice ***** (usually fake) only to find out later (when it mattered) that she can’t cook, and complains al the time. Those usually aren’t everlasting either...
Old 01-07-2019, 01:50 PM
ttt123
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations

See, this is something we warn people about.. Doing something “for bragging rights” sends a red flag up the pole here during our initial interviews.In my experience this reasoning makes for a project that is done for a reason that usually isn’t true, or everlasting. In the past people that did this would often get tired of the engine really quick, and once the new was worn off of it they would start considering what it cost, and second guess the purchase. For us to be able to keep someone fully satisfied they truly have to love the car first hand.

When someone says “all my friends are really interested in what this will turn out like” l wish l hadn’t accepted the job. Its your car, and you are paying the bill. Do what you want for the long term.

Just wanted to throw that out there as a bit of a reality check for those who may read this and consider things based on this. l have gotten more and more specific with my questions at the beginning of a project these days, and l often will ask someone for some exact reasons why they want to go this route. l would rather divert them to another idea, rather than having a potential less than perfect scenario unfold due to an expectation that wasn’t clearly set up front. At the end of the day we have to be honest, and understand that probably 1% of 996 owners truly want, and need, our engine at the present.

It would be akin to a fellow marrying a girl just because she had some really nice ***** (usually fake) only to find out later (when it mattered) that she can’t cook, and complains al the time. Those usually aren’t everlasting either...
To each there own I guess. I don't look at my Porsche with religious devotion... its a car. when its not fun to drive and I want something else... I will get rid of it. As a man who is very religious I don't put that devotion mindset on anything other than family or God Sorry I just don't see it like that. Yes I want bragging rights when I'm enjoying my car... its a car and just a car. I've owned 42 toy cars in the last 13 years, corvettes, supras, stangs, Camaros etc. this is my second Porsche and I will gladly toss it to the side when I'm bored with it... its a car.

Not ripping on you Jake or trying to start a debate just not sure I came across the way you might have taken it. FOR ME a car is a car, if that ticks some off... its a car!!!! lol

for the record ... my wife's are still great, real and she can cook... see you can get the best of both .. sometimes lololol
Old 01-07-2019, 02:11 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,282 Likes on 899 Posts

To each there own I guess. I don't look at my Porsche with religious devotion... its a car. when its not fun to drive and I want something else... I will get rid of it. As a man who is very religious I don't put that devotion mindset on anything other than family or God Sorry I just don't see it like that. Yes I want bragging rights when I'm enjoying my car... its a car and just a car. I've owned 42 toy cars in the last 13 years, corvettes, supras, stangs, Camaros etc. this is my second Porsche and I will gladly toss it to the side when I'm bored with it... its a car.

Not ripping on you Jake or trying to start a debate just not sure I came across the way you might have taken it. FOR ME a car is a car, if that ticks some off... its a car!!!! lol

for the record ... my wife's are still great, real and she can cook... see you can get the best of both .. sometimes lololol
Totally see your point of view. As a vendor this just cocerns me, as l wonder if someone will have some sort of buyer’s remorse when we are done, and the new wears off.. We can do our part perfecly, and the car can be a reliable screamer, but unless they want to keep it for the long haul, they’ll never get the value that they paid for.

i currenly own about 37 vehicles.. l have them all because **I**love them for what they are, and don’t care about what anyone else thinks. Thats why 3 of them have turrets, and two of them has tracks, and 4 are amphibious. l don’t take them to events, l use them, and drive them, and have my own car show every day.
Old 01-07-2019, 02:24 PM
jaetee
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 808Bill
Congrats and sorry to hear of the back surgery (worst experience of my life)!
I followed this from the start but it's been to long and I'm not going back to read it all. What was the final cost if you don't mind?
Not to come across as evasive, but the original topic of this thread was the group-buy offer made by Rocket to the members of this forum. The sleeve work performed in the first post shows up on my invoice at that $1650 price and I am very happy to have paid that amount and not ship it anywhere. I'm also glad that what I picked up was a nice short block with chains loaded and ready for heads, and I did pay extra for that... I think that everything else done to build "my" specific short block falls into the realm of custom engine work and would require individual discussion with Rokket directly.

I was surely much more hands-on than most of Rokket's machine-work customers, who seem to be major dealers and shops in the area. He and I had many calls back and forth as my parts were being mic'd and different issues came at me. He was patient and understanding when I sourced some of the key parts that either had to be, or which I wanted replaced... That local hands-on approach, spaced out purchases and ongoing communications made this whole experience possible (and reluctantly affordable for me - LOL). Shipping my parts somewhere and simply writing one bigger check at the end of it all was not an option.

So, with all of that said I would encourage anyone who needs a Porsche engine partially or fully rebuilt to consider Engine Lab in Tampa. Give Rokket a call, it will be a good phone call and he will do good things to your engine at a fair price. He has a good reputation around here, which I can now substantiate.

I can't wait to get this car on his dyno....
Old 01-07-2019, 02:24 PM
ttt123
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations

Totally see your point of view. As a vendor this just cocerns me, as l wonder if someone will have some sort of buyer’s remorse when we are done, and the new wears off.. We can do our part perfecly, and the car can be a reliable screamer, but unless they want to keep it for the long haul, they’ll never get the value that they paid for.

i currenly own about 37 vehicles.. l have them all because **I**love them for what they are, and don’t care about what anyone else thinks. Thats why 3 of them have turrets, and two of them has tracks, and 4 are amphibious. l don’t take them to events, l use them, and drive them, and have my own car show every day.
Jake your reputation speaks for itself. I researched you and your work couple years ago ... really researched lol and I think its safe to say, your the man with these motors and how you conduct your buisness. I spoke with you about doing a motor and at the end of the day, I couldn't justify that kind of money for a car that just wont bring the value. I don't doubt its worth it but for someone like me who likes to do his own work for pennies it this motor saddens me as it is a lot of fun.

Its all good
Old 01-07-2019, 02:27 PM
ttt123
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jaetee
Not to come across as evasive, but the original topic of this thread was the group-buy offer made by Rocket to the members of this forum. The sleeve work performed in the first post shows up on my invoice at that $1650 price and I am very happy to have paid that amount and not ship it anywhere. I'm also glad that what I picked up was a nice short block with chains loaded and ready for heads, and I did pay extra for that... I think that everything else done to build "my" specific short block falls into the realm of custom engine work and would require individual discussion with Rokket directly.

I was surely much more hands-on than most of Rokket's machine-work customers, who seem to be major dealers and shops in the area. He and I had many calls back and forth as my parts were being mic'd and different issues came at me. He was patient and understanding when I sourced some of the key parts that either had to be, or which I wanted replaced... That local hands-on approach, spaced out purchases and ongoing communications made this whole experience possible (and reluctantly affordable for me - LOL). Shipping my parts somewhere and simply writing one bigger check at the end of it all was not an option.

So, with all of that said I would encourage anyone who needs a Porsche engine partially or fully rebuilt to consider Engine Lab in Tampa. Give Rokket a call, it will be a good phone call and he will do good things to your engine at a fair price. He has a good reputation around here, which I can now substantiate.

I can't wait to get this car on his dyno....
do you have a build thread? I'd love to see what all you did.
Old 01-07-2019, 02:34 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Until I got this...

And I get to drive it everyday!
Old 01-07-2019, 03:05 PM
jaetee
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

do you have a build thread? I'd love to see what all you did.
I intended to do one, and still plan to... but life got in the way in many aspects. I need to compile pics from different cameras and sources and put it all together. I'll likely do all of that after I dyno and tune the DME. The car runs fantastic, but I can tell there's horsepower and fuel efficiency being left on the table...

Old 01-07-2019, 07:33 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jaetee
I intended to do one, and still plan to... but life got in the way in many aspects. I need to compile pics from different cameras and sources and put it all together. I'll likely do all of that after I dyno and tune the DME. The car runs fantastic, but I can tell there's horsepower and fuel efficiency being left on the table...
Looking forward to hearing about this too.

Quick Reply: 996 Engine Case Reman - Bullet Proof