Sponsored by:

tire dillema

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2017, 12:51 PM
rbc123
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tire dillema

03 cab 67k miles. Bridgestone So 2's all around. I suspect about 12 K on tires. Had a rear tire failure and tire not repairable. Not a track car but daily driver with occasional 5 -6 hour trips at 70 to 85 mph. Have noticed tires seem to be getting noisier.
Not sure if I should just replace the one tire with another SO 2 or replace both as they may have hit 1/2 time of usefulness.
I really like Michelins and the PS 2 are only about $60 more per tire.
Was thinking about 2 PS 2's for rear and leave BR Potenzas SO2 on front. I know some people seem to claim that all 4 tires should be same but I have never seen any proof of that statement.
Hi performance or track is not my goal but quiet smooth ride and longevity are what I am looking for.
Looking for thoughts from people with experience with both tires and thoughts on diff mfch. on front and rear.

thanks
RBC
Old 07-29-2017, 12:59 PM
JohnCA58
Rennlist Member

Received 333 Likes on 208 Posts

Sounds like you should check the build dates on the tires. some great info if you do a search on tire build date.

You could have just a 100 miles on a set of tires with old build date and be junk.
Old 07-29-2017, 01:06 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,228 Likes on 773 Posts

Originally Posted by rbc123
I know some people seem to claim that all 4 tires should be same but I have never seen any proof of that statement.
It's not just "some people" making this claim. It's the manufacturer.

Porsche recommends running the same tire on all four wheels. In fact, they recommend that you only use N-spec tires from the same series, so you can't mix N0 and N1 versions of the same tire, as an example.

Check the Porsche recommendations at your dealership and you'll find this in writing. I believe it's available on the Porsche website also.
Old 07-29-2017, 01:13 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

I found the link on the Porsche website.

Porsche Tire Recommendations

Scroll down to the bottom, and you'll see Porsche's recommendation.
Old 07-29-2017, 01:23 PM
rbc123
Rennlist Member

Thanks Dennis. I always value your replies.
RBC
Old 07-29-2017, 01:41 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

No problem!

Tires always tend to spark a debate on the forums, especially when you discuss the need for N-spec tires. I prefer to use N-spec tires as the manufacturer recommends, but many people prefer different options.
Old 07-29-2017, 02:10 PM
Palting
Rennlist Member

Received 237 Likes on 153 Posts

As I understand it, the main question really is "Can you use rear tires different from the front tires?", right? If you drive on the track, or push your car hard on canyon roads and corners, then my answer is "No". It is for this use that Porsche recommends all 4 corners have the same type of rubber, as different tires will behave differently and your car may not perform as Porsche engineered it to perform. However, for regular street and highway driving, even at 80 MPH on the open highway, the differences between brands will not be an issue. At 80 MPH on the open highway, state troopers are the issue, not tires. I have two sets of tires and wheels, one set for track and another for street. The track set are always same rubber, and same age regardless of wear. The street set are whatever happens to be on sale, and replaced only when worn. So the street set often ends up not only with different brand tires between front and rear, but different wear/age as well since the rears will wear out quicker. Never had issues in 15 years of ownership. And my car is a C4S, where the AWD would be more sensitive to front and rear difference.

Trending Topics

Old 07-29-2017, 02:26 PM
OKB
Three Wheelin'

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

I dont know why anybody would put the most expensive, hi performance tires on a daily car. Put a sensible priced, higher mileage tire and dont worry about the hi perf advantages you will never achieve anyway
Old 07-29-2017, 02:44 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

03 cab 67k miles. Bridgestone So 2's all around. I suspect about 12 K on tires. Had a rear tire failure and tire not repairable. Not a track car but daily driver with occasional 5 -6 hour trips at 70 to 85 mph. Have noticed tires seem to be getting noisier.
Not sure if I should just replace the one tire with another SO 2 or replace both as they may have hit 1/2 time of usefulness.
Was thinking about 2 PS 2's for rear and leave BR Potenzas SO2 on front. I know some people seem to claim that all 4 tires should be same but I have never seen any proof of that statement.
Hi performance or track is not my goal but quiet smooth ride and longevity are what I am looking for.
Looking for thoughts from people with experience with both tires and thoughts on diff mfch. on front and rear.

thanks
RBC
Porsche says for both tires on an axle to be replaced if the tread depth difference between the new tire and the old tire is 30% or more. With 12K miles on the tires I suspect the tire tread depth difference will be over 30%.

If you require hard numbers the place where you take the car to get the tire should be able to measure the old tire and advise you if it needs to be replaced.

Porsche tire guidelines are against mixing tires as you seek to do.

If you chose to ignore Porsche in this regard then you can do as you wish.
Old 08-03-2017, 09:51 PM
rbc123
Rennlist Member

After a lot of research, etc. I decided to order Mich PS 2's for the rear and leave still good Bridge Pot. S0 2 on front. When they wear out I will go for Mich upfront.
Found a Ford dealer with Road Force and will have them mount and balance for about $40 a piece.
I ordered tires from TR, I did find another discount tire place that was about $150 cheaper, but after reading all the crappy reviews went with TR.
I will check in a couple of months from now and let y'all know how it went.
RBC
Old 08-03-2017, 11:59 PM
JayG
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

If you are going with Michelin tires, get Pilot SuperSports instead of PS-2s. They are a much better tire
Old 08-04-2017, 12:17 AM
dan_189
Race Car

Received 127 Likes on 112 Posts

I had the same option a few months ago, buy newer technology in PSS or buy N rated PS2s. The Michelin rep advised to go with PS2s.

I don't venture anywhere near the limits of the cars capability but my car does feel better and a certainly like them more than the P-Zeros I had before.
Old 08-04-2017, 01:36 AM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 69 Posts

thanks
RBC
Please let us know if you prove it or not with your proposed setup.
Old 08-04-2017, 02:04 AM
TonyTwoBags
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Do the 285/35 18" PSS tires fit the rear Carrera II wheels on the mk2?
Old 08-04-2017, 05:18 AM
Volkert
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

After a lot of research, etc. I decided to order Mich PS 2's for the rear and leave still good Bridge Pot. S0 2 on front. When they wear out I will go for Mich upfront.
Found a Ford dealer with Road Force and will have them mount and balance for about $40 a piece.
I ordered tires from TR, I did find another discount tire place that was about $150 cheaper, but after reading all the crappy reviews went with TR.
I will check in a couple of months from now and let y'all know how it went.
RBC
I was VERY happy after I got the tires mounted with RoadForce. Would suggest to spent a little extra money and get all four tires done. If done properly (I would advise if they let you to stay with the car/tires when they do) the car will drive so much better. Let us know your experience.

Volkert

Quick Reply: tire dillema