Dension Gateway 500 - CDC Enabling with PIWIS

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2017, 12:58 AM
dan_189
Race Car

Received 127 Likes on 112 Posts
Default Dension Gateway 500 - CDC Enabling with PIWIS

Hey all,

My local dealership has agreed to attempt to enable the CD changer (as my car - 04' C2 doesn't have one) to finish off my Dension Gateway 500 + BTA1500 Bluetooth unit install but I have a few questions:

1. Does anyone have instructions or screenshots on how to enable the CD changer with a PIWIS? I've searched on Google images and on the 996 workshop manual but haven't come up with anything. Reason I ask is i'd prefer to give the tech some guidance as they aren't sure what to do.

So far i've only found this:

2. Do I complete my Dension installation and with everything connected (including the fibre optic cables) then take it in to have the CD changer enabled? I have read some very vague notes in the workshop manual that you need to compare the list of MOST components that are in the tester to what is actually installed?

I did install the Dension briefly (power and ground directly to battery) then:

head unit out -> dension in -> dension out -> amplifier in -> amplifier out -> head unit in to complete the loop.

However the sound on the radio just stopped working and the light on the Dension control unit did not turn.

I'm assuming thats because the DME didn't understand the new MOST component in the loop?

Ahhh the MOST life, the MOST difficult audio system!

Thanks!
Old 08-17-2017, 01:50 AM
dan_189
Race Car

Hey all, can anyone help with this? Dealership told me they were unable to enable my CD changer?? Help please!

I'll be going there tomorrow, should I hook up the Dension so its recognised by the PIWIS as a CD changer allowing it to be enabled in the DME??
Old 08-17-2017, 05:18 AM
jbangert
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dan_189
Hey all, can anyone help with this? Dealership told me they were unable to enable my CD changer?? Help please!

I'll be going there tomorrow, should I hook up the Dension so its recognised by the PIWIS as a CD changer allowing it to be enabled in the DME??
I have only done this on my indys auto logic system. It seems you are in the diagnostic section of PIWIS, however you want to be in the "coding"/"programming" section. There, select most components (or something like that, under pcm) , and you can (in autologic) get a drop down for which components are programmed into each position. In my case, I actually had to reverse the order of programed components compared to what the "actual components" screen showed.

I would go in with the Unit attached and ready to go. Make sure you disconnect the battery for 30 seconds after you do anything to the most loop -- that resets the components, otherwise they'll be confused. Most is independent of the ignition key.
Old 08-17-2017, 05:21 AM
jbangert
Track Day

Originally Posted by jbangert
I have only done this on my indys auto logic system. It seems you are in the diagnostic section of PIWIS, however you want to be in the "coding"/"programming" section. There, select most components (or something like that, under pcm) , and you can (in autologic) get a drop down for which components are programmed into each position. In my case, I actually had to reverse the order of programed components compared to what the "actual components" screen showed.

I would go in with the Unit attached and ready to go. Make sure you disconnect the battery for 30 seconds after you do anything to the most loop -- that resets the components, otherwise they'll be confused. Most is independent of the ignition key.
Ps: as far as I can tell components can be coded without actually being present. If a component is missing the system will continue to run, however if there are extras or the wrong order you will see problems. This is just a bad design -- on Mercedes d2b you can do the coding right in the head unit.

Good luck! If possible, get them to just add a cd changer to the enabled units. You can then play with the component order (you'll just have 3 component anyways: radio, amp and gw500) until it works, resetting between each attempt.

Old 08-17-2017, 05:31 AM
dan_189
Race Car

Thanks!

Thats an image I got off the internet I've actually never seen the PIWIS screen the dealership like to keep it under wraps!

I'll hook it all up tomorrow and hopefully it gets picked up.

Interesting about the key and disconnecting the battery I've also noticed that only locking the car and leaving it for a minute or two turns off the most.

I've been able to successfully connect it into the loop and keep the radio working so that's a plus. Just need to get the DME programmed so it thinks there is a CDC attached.

I'll keep everyone posted!
Old 08-17-2017, 05:50 AM
dan_189
Race Car

Ps: as far as I can tell components can be coded without actually being present. If a component is missing the system will continue to run, however if there are extras or the wrong order you will see problems. This is just a bad design -- on Mercedes d2b you can do the coding right in the head unit.

Good luck! If possible, get them to just add a cd changer to the enabled units. You can then play with the component order (you'll just have 3 component anyways: radio, amp and gw500) until it works, resetting between each attempt.

Thanks, I'll try to enable it with them before connecting it.

The order I'd like is head unit > GW500 > amp > head unit.

Hopefully I can get it sorted!
Old 08-17-2017, 06:08 PM
318touring
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Good luck, fingers crossed for you!!
Old 08-17-2017, 06:11 PM
dan_189
Race Car

Originally Posted by 318touring
Good luck, fingers crossed for you!!
Thanks! I'll find out in a few hours
Old 08-17-2017, 11:09 PM
dan_189
Race Car

Okay so confirmed that i'd be there in the afternoon and already getting push back on enabling the CDC.

Why is this so hard?
Old 08-17-2017, 11:23 PM
jbangert
Track Day

Originally Posted by dan_189
Okay so confirmed that i'd be there in the afternoon and already getting push back on enabling the CDC.

Why is this so hard?
worst comes to worst you could buy a PST/PIWIS online. You can also play around with a few other settings, and if you plan to do a decent chunk of work or intend to own other p cars in the future it might be worth it.
Old 08-17-2017, 11:24 PM
dan_189
Race Car

worst comes to worst you could buy a PST/PIWIS online. You can also play around with a few other settings, and if you plan to do a decent chunk of work or intend to own other p cars in the future it might be worth it.
Do you know of any apart from the Durametric and AutoLogic units? PIWIS units are impossible to find and even the Bosch KTS520 is crazy expensive
Old 08-18-2017, 12:24 AM
318touring
Pro

http://www.planet-9.com/987-cayman-a...tml#post637110
Old 08-18-2017, 01:59 AM
dan_189
Race Car

Thanks 318 I did find that when I was looking for some documentation. Heading there soon!
Old 08-19-2017, 12:39 AM
dan_189
Race Car

Okay update on this and it's not great news.

The latest PIWIS from the dealership cannot turn on a CDC.

Going to have to either buy or borrow a durametric
Old 08-19-2017, 03:53 AM
318touring
Pro

Bugger mate - you haven't got a clued up indie over there I guess?

Start looking at eBay for 2nd hand Durametric then ...

Quick Reply: Dension Gateway 500 - CDC Enabling with PIWIS