Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Which is best: IMS by LN or a DOF? or cheapest?

Old 07-25-2017, 06:09 PM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by MSGGrunt
I am also a new potential 996 owner and have wondered this very same question. I am not sold on the LN bearing if it is recommended to replace it every 50,000 or so miles. To me that is not a solution. I'd probably feel safe replacing with a stock bearing every 50,000 miles. And for those of us that don't track our cars I would not expect having to replace the clutch every 50k to facilitate an IMS bearing replacement.

My thoughts are that the stock bearing fails from galling leading to excess heat and eventually failure. How do you prevent galling? More lubrication than the factory sealed in grease bearing. Am I wrong when I watch the so called "bathed in oil" bearing in action spinning off the oil that is supposed to be providing lubrication? If the oil is flung away from the bearing under higher RPMs then we are just back to a design that provides less lubrication than the stock bearing. Sure, using a ceramic bearing can reduce the heat but, IMHO you have not solved the problem of proper lubrication reaching the bearings. My feelings are the only way to provide proper lubrication to the bearing is by a direct oil feed method. The challenge is separating the useful experience shared from mere opinions

I personally like the TuneRS Motorsports design.
The DOF -if that is what you mean has been discredited unfortunately. Just read some of the comments by respected Forum Contributors like JFP that have installed a wide variety of kits.
I say this with both shame and regret because I fitted one before I knew the whole story.There is a lot to read/study on this subject There is far more that can be dismissed as uninformed opinion.I too was swayed by that.
Old 07-25-2017, 06:21 PM
MadIrish
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

I am also a new potential 996 owner and have wondered this very same question. I am not sold on the LN bearing if it is recommended to replace it every 50,000 or so miles. To me that is not a solution. I'd probably feel safe replacing with a stock bearing every 50,000 miles. And for those of us that don't track our cars I would not expect having to replace the clutch every 50k to facilitate an IMS bearing replacement.
Be careful not to mix metaphors.

There are 2 types of IMS offerings from LN
1) IMS RETROFIT....a redesigned single or dual row bearing with ceramic ***** that is to be replaced every 75k miles or 6 years...whichever comes first. www.imsretrofit.com

2) the LN "IMS SOLUTION"....a permanently installed, oil fed, plain bearing that takes its oil from the oil pump via a line from an oil filter adaptor that is part of the kit. The adaptor allows you to use a standard spin on oil filter instead of the Porsche filter elements. www.theimssolution.com

Option 1 is significantly less expensive than option 2. Option 1 is what the PO put on mine just before I bought it, otherwise, i woudl have gone for option 2.
Old 07-25-2017, 06:24 PM
ltusler
Three Wheelin'

Received 106 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by RunSpeed
Sigh... Yeah, I usually spend 10min warming up the car at idle before I go anywhere. Still it's a short distance however and it wouldn't be every morning as I'm able to take a bus or the Aston. Please don't kill my dream and make me get a m3 or worse yet a miata. Surely, with some preventive maintenance .5qt sump extension with baffles and rms/ims fit it should be reliable for some driving, no?
That's a Aston killer too. Get a frickin Prius.
Old 07-25-2017, 06:39 PM
RunSpeed
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ltusler
That's a Aston killer too. Get a frickin Prius.
Hmm. Not very nice to say. I'll be sure to report the response to the mods as I really don't find this helpful to the thread and pretty much poisons this helpful site. Please don't reply to the thread any further.
Old 07-25-2017, 07:29 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

Hmm. Not very nice to say. I'll be sure to report the response to the mods as I really don't find this helpful to the thread and pretty much poisons this helpful site. Please don't reply to the thread any further.
Really, your going to tell?

Old 07-25-2017, 07:30 PM
Chris(MA)
Burning Brakes

Received 149 Likes on 67 Posts

My thoughts are that the stock bearing fails from galling leading to excess heat and eventually failure. How do you prevent galling? More lubrication than the factory sealed in grease bearing. Am I wrong when I watch the so called "bathed in oil" bearing in action spinning off the oil that is supposed to be providing lubrication? If the oil is flung away from the bearing under higher RPMs then we are just back to a design that provides less lubrication than the stock bearing. Sure, using a ceramic bearing can reduce the heat but, IMHO you have not solved the problem of proper lubrication reaching the bearings. My feelings are the only way to provide proper lubrication to the bearing is by a direct oil feed method.

I personally like the TuneRS Motorsports design.
IMS bearing failure, like most classic engineering design fails is a multitude of factors, if there was a single factor it would have been figured out by now and rectified.
I believe the LN ceramic bearing mileage limit is 75k miles or 5 years, whichever is soonest.

Porsche washed its hands of the m96/m97 so I'm just happy we have plenty of aftermarket choices in the various weak spots of these engines.

Old 07-25-2017, 07:59 PM
TonyTwoBags
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Let us know if you need milk, cookies or a cool towel to recover from such a heated exchange.

#vibes
Old 07-25-2017, 08:03 PM
RunSpeed
AutoX

Whew. Tough forum I guess. Sorry chaps. I'll just duck out. Thanks for the above replies all that helped with the original question. I'll probably lean towards going for the LN bearing it sounds like. Have a great day all. All the best.
Old 07-25-2017, 09:33 PM
wildbilly32
Drifting

Received 774 Likes on 496 Posts

Originally Posted by TonyTwoBags
Let us know if you need milk, cookies or a cool towel to recover from such a heated exchange.

#vibes
You guys are just a bunch of meanies!
Old 07-25-2017, 09:39 PM
todcp
Instructor

Two shops recommended to me will only install the LN Pro. Both shops feared oil lines hanging below the car where a piece of road debris could knock it off. Unlikely but possible?
I ended up doing the LN Pro.
Old 07-25-2017, 10:49 PM
JayG
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Do yourself a favor and stay out of the Good week in the 996 forum... thread
of grow a set

Last edited by JayG; 07-25-2017 at 11:21 PM.
Old 07-25-2017, 11:39 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by todcp
Two shops recommended to me will only install the LN Pro. Both shops feared oil lines hanging below the car where a piece of road debris could knock it off. Unlikely but possible?
I ended up doing the LN Pro.
Anything is possible I suppose, but other than Jake's anecdote while the Solution was under development I've never heard of any of the options that add an oil line getting the line ripped off.

That you are apparently willing to spend the extra money for the Solution, but they are trying to talk you out of it tells me that these are not shops to work with. They obviously are not certified and clearly don't know as much as they want you to believe about the bearing options.

Let us know where you are and there may be someone with knowledge of your area that can suggest a better shop to talk to.
Old 07-26-2017, 12:40 AM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,069 Likes on 1,181 Posts

I'm really just using this for short commuting (less than 5 miles)
Originally Posted by billh1963
M96 killer right there......
Sigh... Yeah, I usually spend 10min warming up the car at idle before I go anywhere. Still it's a short distance however and it wouldn't be every morning as I'm able to take a bus or the Aston. Please don't kill my dream and make me get a m3 or worse yet a miata. Surely, with some preventive maintenance .5qt sump extension with baffles and rms/ims fit it should be reliable for some driving, no?
All the preventative maintenance will not prevent moisture buildup. Idling a car for 10 minutes heats up the coolant, the oil not so much. Until your oil reaches the magic 210F the condensation which builds up in every sump will remain and I doubt you need to be told what water in the oil can do to an engine.

Have you ever taken an oil cap off and see what looks like peanut butter? The biggest culprit is oil that never or rarely reaches operating temps. This can and will effect every car, not just the 996.

If I were shopping a car and found out the owner regularly took it on short trips like this, I would run away regardless of all other factors.

The "buy a Prius" comment is spot on, you need an expendable car for such jaunts, something electric is ideal. Save the 911 for track days or trips where you can and will get everything properly warmed up (we haven't even talked about the trans fluid yet).
The following users liked this post:
Sajan (02-02-2024)
Old 07-26-2017, 01:02 AM
993James993
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Do like I did, get a '99 with solid service records and have a thorough PPI. Don't worry about IMS failure and drive the car. You'll be fine. And, as you have noticed, this is a snarky forum. Don't take it personally.
Old 07-26-2017, 08:43 AM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,069 Likes on 1,181 Posts

Originally Posted by 993James993
And, as you have noticed, this is a snarky forum. Don't take it personally.
Speak for yourself!!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Which is best: IMS by LN or a DOF? or cheapest?