996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Replaced tuning fork control arms: WOW!

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2017, 12:27 AM
dkraige
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Replaced tuning fork control arms: WOW!

I've had some moderate harshness/clunkiness over bumps for some time. Especially noticeable on rough pavement at low speeds, and it would get worse the longer I drove the car (hotter it got). After doing research here and on other forums all signs pointed to the tuning fork arms.

I replaced all 4. 3 of them had pretty bad knocking when put in a vise and pulled/pushed axially; the 4th has barely any play. This play is not noticeable on the car because it's very hard to get any motion in that direction by tugging on wheels or suspension components. Even in the vise the motion is barely visible, but you can definitely feel it.

Drives like a new car now. Not only is it quieter over bumps, but it feels like it has new shocks, and even shifts seems crisper and smoother. Amazing difference from such a simple component.

By the way some of the other posts make it sound like the rears are a horrible bear to replace, but I beg to differ. The trick is to have a short, thin 20mm wrench to be able to grab the nut on top of the front bolt attaching the arm to the subframe. I removed the rear wheel arch trim, and lowered the rear corners of the belly pan in that area, but did not remove the entire pan.

Also took the opportunity to install some 997 Turbo rear brake scoops (P/N 99733148702KT, very cheap). Minor trimming is required to clear the calipers and hoses, but otherwise an easy fit.
Old 07-25-2017, 12:39 AM
Rdrcr
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Good to hear! Makes me wonder if this is the cause of the clunks I've experienced driving slowly over rough surfaces.

Mike
Old 07-25-2017, 02:46 AM
mrjonger
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just had the shocks, sway bar links, and shock mounts replaced. It drives much better, but there is still one rattle and it still feels a bit rough. I think these control arms might be next.

You might want to still want to test the shocks, my indy just did the bounce test. When he took it off, I could compress the shocks with very little pressure.
Old 07-25-2017, 11:35 AM
dkraige
Pro

My car has relatively new shocks and mounts so I'm sure those are fine.

I f you think about how these get loaded, it makes sense that they rattle over bumps, especially at low speeds. Every time you hit a bump/dip in the road, it wants to pull the wheel rearward on the car, which stresses this part axially. Also as the suspension travels vertically, this part gets pushed/pulled axially. If there's any play in that ball joint where it attaches to the car, you're going to get knocking. At high speed the car kind of floats over the bumps and there is more background noise so it's not as audible, but at low speed it's really noticeable.

I replaced with Meyle parts ordered from the UK, since the Porsche parts are ungodly expensive, and I had a hard time finding other OE-spec parts in the US from a reputable brand. I don't like the idea of the "upgraded" parts from some vendors that replace the ball joint with an elastomer bushing, which effectively adds spring rate to the car, and transfers more/different loads to the chassis, which isn't necessarily a better thing. Will report back later on how these parts hold up.
Old 07-26-2017, 01:26 PM
CarlLinnington
7th Gear

Good info. I've got the low speed clunking as well. Just curious ... What was your source for these UK-based (Meyle) parts?
Old 07-26-2017, 01:27 PM
dkraige
Pro

I bought from design911.com. Shipping was rough, but still cheaper than any US source I could find for quality parts.
Old 07-26-2017, 01:34 PM
ejdoherty911
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

All the suspension bushings on these cars need to be updated after 15 years! So many people don't realize that "cheap" high mileage 996 probably needs a minimum of $5,000 in suspension work (parts and labor) to actually perform properly. Springs, shocks, sway bars, control arms, drop links, etc., alignment. It makes a huge difference in the driving characteristics.
Old 07-26-2017, 01:44 PM
CarlLinnington
7th Gear

ejd - I just bought that exact car! '01 996 Cab with 75k miles. Got it for around $13k, but it needs $5k worth of suspension work for sure! Know any good shops (south of Philly)...?
Old 07-26-2017, 01:52 PM
ejdoherty911
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by CarlLinnington
ejd - I just bought that exact car! '01 996 Cab with 75k miles. Got it for around $13k, but it needs $5k worth of suspension work for sure! Know any good shops (south of Philly)...?
I like to use this indy in New Jersey (not too far) when I can. Very fair prices on labor, bring your own parts if you want. He's not easy to get a hold of but he only works on Porsche, nothing else.

Yurii Matsuk
cell:609-969-9980
www.polarporsche.com
www.euromotivecars.com

Polar Automotive
2 Keystone Ave
Cherry Hill, NJ 08003

O: 856-751-1555​
C: 609-969-9980
Old 08-24-2017, 10:39 PM
CarlLinnington
7th Gear

Thank you SO MUCH for posting this! I bought my '01 C2 a few months ago (with about 75k. miles), and immediately noticed my front-end clunkiness. After reading your post, I was convinced that the symptoms I was noticing were the same as you detailed in your original posting. I'm not a major wrench-turner, but I liked the idea of starting with the easiest/cheapest/simplest parts to fix the problem first, so I gave it a shot. Got my hands on a pair of EPS control arms (Amazon), and my rattles and clunks (especially at low speeds) are history! Thanks again...
Old 08-26-2017, 01:27 AM
dkraige
Pro

Originally Posted by CarlLinnington
Thank you SO MUCH for posting this! I bought my '01 C2 a few months ago (with about 75k. miles), and immediately noticed my front-end clunkiness. After reading your post, I was convinced that the symptoms I was noticing were the same as you detailed in your original posting. I'm not a major wrench-turner, but I liked the idea of starting with the easiest/cheapest/simplest parts to fix the problem first, so I gave it a shot. Got my hands on a pair of EPS control arms (Amazon), and my rattles and clunks (especially at low speeds) are history! Thanks again...
Nice! Glad to help. It is amazing how much more pleasant it is to drive the car after tightening up those clunks, eh? Worth every penny for the new parts.

Quick Reply: Replaced tuning fork control arms: WOW!