996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Temperature

Old 07-22-2017, 07:32 PM
dedens
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Temperature

My 2000 C2 temp runs to the right of the zero in the 180 when the outside temp is above 80. See photo below. The radiators are clear. Is this within the 'Normal' range?
Old 07-22-2017, 07:44 PM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 69 Posts

No. Something is wrong. Fans, thermostat or water pump may not be working right. Check the fans first.
Old 07-22-2017, 08:01 PM
dedens
Instructor

Fans come on and no leaks from water pump.
Old 07-22-2017, 09:50 PM
KoB
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My fans come on about when the needle is shading the right side of the zero. No idea if you have an issue or if this is another case of the temp gauge being inaccurate. Have you used the climate control diagnostic to check the coolant temp? I can't remember the button sequence but I'm sure it's posted in here somewhere.
Old 07-22-2017, 10:04 PM
TonyTwoBags
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

My mk2 c2 runs hotter on the OBDII than the dash gauge. Normal spirited driving in mountains gives me 210-221F coolant temps on the OEM sensor. I'd check that with a scanner before spending money on changing things.
Old 07-22-2017, 11:35 PM
dedens
Instructor

I checked the climate control temp and the car is running about 108c and 110c. Should u worry?
Old 07-23-2017, 12:20 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by dedens
I checked the climate control temp and the car is running about 108c and 110c. Should u worry?
Based on my experience with my Boxster 108C to 110C (226F to 230F) is about the max temperature the coolant ever got when driving in extremely hot ambient temperature (116F) or when driving the car in a spirited fashion -- if you know what I mean and I think you do -- in milder -- but still warm (mid 90's) ambient temperature.

In the 116F heat the coolant temperature stayed at 226F or so until I drove out of the extreme heat which took a while. I was in southern AZ at the time and I don't think it got "cool" until I was in Oklahoma.

When driving the car in a spirited fashion afterwards the coolant temperature dropped as I sat and let the engine idle. I was monitoring the coolant temperature with an OBD2 code reader/data viewer. The radiator fans were of course running at high speed. (With my Boxster they switch on to low speed at a coolant temperature of 212F and switch to high speed at coolant temperature of 216F and switch off when the coolant temperature drops to 205F.)

In the case of your car, as long as the temperature doesn't get any higher you should be pardon the expression be cool. This assumes too the system is pressure tight and the system doesn't lose fluid.

Might mention when the coolant is hot and the engine is shut off the heat load of the engine can raise the coolant temperature even higher and with it the pressure in the system. If there is a weak component -- in my experience a coolant cap and another time a coolant tank -- this component can leak.

You should check that both radiator fans are running and *be sure* both are blowing the same amount of hot air out where the hot radiator air leaves the car.

With my 996 Turbo one time while the motor was running the air wasn't blowing and it turned out to be a broken radiator fan motor shaft. Another time the passenger radiator fan motor of my Boxster wasn't even running and it was found to be the ballast resistor. The techs tell me the passenger side ballast resistor takes a beating if the car is driven in bad weather as the passenger side tires often splash through standing water along side the side of the road and this water can damage the resistor. While the resistor should be mounted in a pretty protected spot it can still get splashed if the water is deep enough.

Yet another time -- and this is why you want to verify both fans are not only running but blowing the same amount of hot air -- again with my Turbo the driver side fan was running but it wasn't blowing nearly as much air as the other side. The tech connected the diagnostics computer to the car and found there were no fan stage errors but the driver side radiator fan motor was drawing way more current than the other side. I had him replace the fan motor. Afterwards both fans blew the same amount of hot air and current consumption was the same.

Might add that even though with both of my cars one fan either wasn't running or wasn't running right the coolant temperature remained reasonable. One working radiator fan is enough to keep the coolant temperature under control but of course I would not push my luck and continue to drive the car -- other than to the nearest repair shop -- with a non-functioning radiator fan motor or fan. My concern would be if the other fan should quit then the engine could overheat.

With my Turbo I found the passenger fan not running in Fresno. Instead of continuing east into one of the hottest regions of CA (ignoring Death Valley) and beyond into AZ where it is even hotter I turned the car back west and drove it the couple of hundred miles home and had it at the dealer the next day to have the radiator fan problem sorted.
Old 07-23-2017, 12:20 AM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 69 Posts

This pump wasn't leaking. Have you cleaned between the aircon evap and radiators?
Attached Images  
Old 07-23-2017, 02:07 AM
dedens
Instructor

Thanks all...due to some of the issues these motors can have and the cost to rebuild / replace a damaged motor, I will take it in to my local indy shop next week. Better save than sorry!
Old 07-23-2017, 03:13 AM
Volkert
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

With airco on both radioator fans (left/right) should always be on at "low" speed. Or with airco off, those fans come on at 104C and switch off at 100C again. Looks like your fans only come on in high speed, which they'd do at 107C (225F) and switch off at 104C (219F).

Are both fans running (left and right)? You can check easily by sticking your hand under the bumper in front of the wheels. On mine one did not run at low speed and with that cooling capacity was much reduced.

Volkert
Old 07-23-2017, 08:15 PM
ohlins8990
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My '99 will run here as well. Replaced the WP and thermostat, upgraded the cap, cleaned rads, and checked fan operation. I haven't gotten in above the line yet and that's the point I've decided to shut the car off. At highway speeds, temp comes down to the left side of the 0. My obd says this temp is 220F, lower than the dash readout.
Old 07-23-2017, 11:08 PM
Bash Hat
Three Wheelin'

Received 414 Likes on 193 Posts

Mine will run that hot in stop and go traffic when outside temps are 90 and above. Will come back down to the left of the "0" when moving again but it does seem to take forever to come down. I don't think you have an issue.
Old 07-23-2017, 11:26 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by fpb111
This pump wasn't leaking. Have you cleaned between the aircon evap and radiators?
Scary water pump!
Old 07-24-2017, 02:37 PM
dedens
Instructor

I had been told the radiators were clean by the shop that did some paint touch up work. I decided to double check. It turns out that my radiators need to be cleaned. Does anyone have pictures for the 996 radiator fans hack: https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...tment-fan.html

?

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...tment-fan.html

Old 07-24-2017, 05:00 PM
dedens
Instructor

Update:

Cleaned the radiators and made sure the fans were working. Reassembled the car and went for a 30 minute spirited drive. According console computer, the car ran 100c-102c. In stop and go traffic it did get up to 104c but then cooled down to 102c. Pulling into my driveway the temp reached 105 and I didnt wait to see if it would cool down or continue to rise. Is this normal or is it still running too hot? Thoughts? Suggestions?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Temperature