996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Temperature

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2017, 10:57 AM
Volkert
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was first confused when starting the engine this morning and the readout at C01. It read something like 145C?? Then when I went driving it dropped to 95C while coolant temp was 80C or there about. I should be doing some high speed driving this weekend so curious about what temperatures I'd see then. The 95C is in the sump so assume oil will be hotter elsewhere in the engine. So above 100C, boiling off any water. Only question: if water is in the oil, where does it go when boiling off?
Old 07-28-2017, 11:47 AM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,091 Likes on 701 Posts

^ Simply - out the AOS (crankcase breather) and recycled through the engine intake to be burned off.
Old 07-28-2017, 03:46 PM
dedens
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Got the Durmeteric software up and running this morning. Fans are working (low/high) and no fault codes. The ECU shows the coolant temp is 3-4c lower than the console dash digital readout shows. So when the readout showed 110c the other day it was really 106-107c. After cleaning out the radiators the temp, according to the dash readout, didn't go above 105c which really 101-102c. I am going to do a final test later at the hottest part of the day but I don't think I have an issue. Thoughts???

Old 07-28-2017, 10:02 PM
Bash Hat
Three Wheelin'

Received 414 Likes on 193 Posts

Did the HVAC hack today. Temp got up to 108c in stop and go freeway traffic. 93 deg outside temp. When moving it went down to 100c. The car does not like sitting in warm weather. In the spring it ran way cooler in stop and go situations.
Old 07-28-2017, 10:12 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,580 Likes on 987 Posts

Originally Posted by dedens
Got the Durmeteric software up and running this morning. Fans are working (low/high) and no fault codes. The ECU shows the coolant temp is 3-4c lower than the console dash digital readout shows. So when the readout showed 110c the other day it was really 106-107c. After cleaning out the radiators the temp, according to the dash readout, didn't go above 105c which really 101-102c. I am going to do a final test later at the hottest part of the day but I don't think I have an issue. Thoughts???

I agree, I don't think you have a problem.
Old 07-28-2017, 10:14 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bash Hat
Did the HVAC hack today. Temp got up to 108c in stop and go freeway traffic. 93 deg outside temp. When moving it went down to 100c. The car does not like sitting in warm weather. In the spring it ran way cooler in stop and go situations.
Yep, I figured my air-cooled 3.2 Carrera didn't like stop and go traffic and that the 996 would be different. Nope.
Old 07-28-2017, 10:39 PM
dedens
Instructor

Originally Posted by murphyslaw1978
Yep, I figured my air-cooled 3.2 Carrera didn't like stop and go traffic and that the 996 would be different. Nope.
I've read through the several posts about the AC fan hack. Still a little confused. Does anyone have photos or diagrams showing exactly what to do? Is there a way to keep the fans controlled by the ECU and also add a awitch to turn on?
Old 07-28-2017, 10:45 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,325 Likes on 1,961 Posts

Originally Posted by Volkert
I was first confused when starting the engine this morning and the readout at C01. It read something like 145C?? Then when I went driving it dropped to 95C while coolant temp was 80C or there about. I should be doing some high speed driving this weekend so curious about what temperatures I'd see then. The 95C is in the sump so assume oil will be hotter elsewhere in the engine. So above 100C, boiling off any water. Only question: if water is in the oil, where does it go when boiling off?
That value at c01 is not oil temp. I dont know what value it is but it definitely isn't oil temp. I have went through all the values and none of them correlate to oil temp. It would be nice if they did, but I haven't found any. Only way I know to get the oil temp is with Durametric, PST2, PIWIS ,PIWIS I, PIWIS II.
Old 07-28-2017, 10:49 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Porschetech3
That value at c01 is not oil temp. I dont know what value it is but it definitely isn't oil temp. I have went through all the values and none of them correlate to oil temp. It would be nice if they did, but I haven't found any. Only way I know to get the oil temp is with Durametric, PST2, PIWIS ,PIWIS I, PIWIS II.
Correct, there is no oil temp on the HVAC hack. However, there IS an oil temp sensor when you hook up a Durametric cable and software. I have used and witnessed this.
Old 07-29-2017, 01:42 PM
Volkert
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Correct, there is no oil temp on the HVAC hack. However, there IS an oil temp sensor when you hook up a Durametric cable and software. I have used and witnessed this.
Hmm, unfortunate! Whatever it is, today at start at the value is 145, then during driving it sits between 90-100 somewhere.

This picture I shot after first driving 180-200km/h on Autobahn, then got caught in a sudden traffic jam, moving slowly in 1st gear for 5 minutes. I do believe the LTT makes a lot of sense since it will be fully open during normal driving (at 82C) while the normal thermostat will be somewhere between closed & open but definitely not fully open at 99C. In the traffic jam temperature got to 88C but not above.

Old 07-29-2017, 10:03 PM
dedens
Instructor

Today was 85F+ in Portland, Or. I took the car for a spirited drive and got stuck in a bit of stop and go traffic. The digital readout temp displayed 105C for a brief time (in traffic) and the Durametric showed 101C. Fans kick on high and temp went below 98C. In summary, cleaning the radiators made a 4-5C difference in the overall temp. The Durametric showed the car wasn't actually reaching 105 or 110C (from my initial post). I ordered a Porsche Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor from FCP Euro since there is a difference between the digital readout and Durametric. Not sure if that will resolve the difference but the part was only $35 and is relatively easy to swap.

Glad I spent the $$ on the Durametric.
Old 03-30-2018, 11:50 AM
professorman
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 25 Posts

My temperature is normally slightly past the 180 mark, somtimes going to the 12 o'clock position. This morning I was driving mildly hard around town, and when I reached back home, I saw that my temperature guage was on the right side of the '0', which is higher than normal. I did not know if I should be concerned that my temperature was higher than normal.
Old 03-30-2018, 01:10 PM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,154 Likes on 791 Posts

Originally Posted by 808Bill
Scary water pump!
^^This^^ Wow...no question as to why that engine was running hot! The remaining question being, "did you/they find all the pieces of the impeller?
Old 03-30-2018, 04:52 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by professorman
My temperature is normally slightly past the 180 mark, somtimes going to the 12 o'clock position. This morning I was driving mildly hard around town, and when I reached back home, I saw that my temperature guage was on the right side of the '0', which is higher than normal. I did not know if I should be concerned that my temperature was higher than normal.
A lot of cars do this. Mine included. Did you have the AC (snowflake) turned on? If not, the front fans might no turn on and your temps will climb. Mine will just climb and climb until the fans kick on. When it’s really hot outside, even the low speed fans aren’t enough to keep temps at bay. The high speed fans will, though, but it takes a few mins. In my opinion, these temps are pretty darn warm. Outside of the 0 on my car is about 107-109C.
Old 03-30-2018, 08:14 PM
professorman
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 25 Posts

A lot of cars do this. Mine included. Did you have the AC (snowflake) turned on? If not, the front fans might no turn on and your temps will climb. Mine will just climb and climb until the fans kick on. When it’s really hot outside, even the low speed fans aren’t enough to keep temps at bay.
I did not have the AC on. What temperature does the fans come on? Where should my temp gauge be when the fans kick in?

Quick Reply: Temperature