Temperature

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2017, 05:11 PM
Chris(MA)
Burning Brakes

Received 149 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by dedens
Update:

Cleaned the radiators and made sure the fans were working. Reassembled the car and went for a 30 minute spirited drive. According console computer, the car ran 100c-102c. In stop and go traffic it did get up to 104c but then cooled down to 102c. Pulling into my driveway the temp reached 105 and I didnt wait to see if it would cool down or continue to rise. Is this normal or is it still running too hot? Thoughts? Suggestions?
That still seems hot, there are a couple of ways your engine could be running too warm. (assuming your water pump doesn't have impeller damage)

One is the thermostat is not opening correctly allowing cooler liquid to be exchanged in the circulating engine path.

Two is the cooling system is not dumping enough energy out to air to allow the thermostat access to cool enough liquid to pass through the thermostat.

It might be useful if you could take a temp reading of the coolant lines going to/from the engine to the radiators, maybe with one of those IR temp gun things, they are cheap at Harbor Freight, that would tell you if you coolant system is dumping enough heat out of the radiator path.

Pulling the thermostat and testing it in hot water is more hassle and at that point might as well put a new water pump and thermostat on while you have it apart.
Old 07-24-2017, 05:58 PM
JohnCA58
Rennlist Member

Received 334 Likes on 209 Posts

I would look for about 10 to 12 degree's F drop between the inlet and outlet of the radiator with fans on, and normal load on the dyno.
Old 07-24-2017, 06:32 PM
ejdoherty911
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I think your car is running hot at 104 C - 220 F. My temperature gauge does not go that far to the right even when hot on a hot day.
Old 07-24-2017, 06:58 PM
Volkert
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dedens
Update:

Cleaned the radiators and made sure the fans were working. Reassembled the car and went for a 30 minute spirited drive. According console computer, the car ran 100c-102c. In stop and go traffic it did get up to 104c but then cooled down to 102c. Pulling into my driveway the temp reached 105 and I didnt wait to see if it would cool down or continue to rise. Is this normal or is it still running too hot? Thoughts? Suggestions?
And what was the outside temperature?
What does it mean "the fans were working"? With AC on the fans should both run at low speed (that still is a lot of air blown away!!) all the time. If the temperature goes to 107C they should go to highspeed and cool down to 104C.
With the normal thermostat it will only be fully open at 99C. So 100-102C is not strange IMHO when driving spiritly..
Old 07-24-2017, 09:42 PM
dedens
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And what was the outside temperature?
What does it mean "the fans were working"? With AC on the fans should both run at low speed (that still is a lot of air blown away!!) all the time. If the temperature goes to 107C they should go to highspeed and cool down to 104C.
With the normal thermostat it will only be fully open at 99C. So 100-102C is not strange IMHO when driving spiritly..
Thank you all for the responses. A little more detail:

After cleaning took the car for a drive. The outside temp was about 78-80F. The car warmed up slowly to the 180F mark on the analogue gauge after 10 minutes of driving. At this point I used the center HVAC hack to get a digital readout. The temp stayed around 99C to 100C for about 10 minutes. During this time I was traveling between 45-60MPH. Climbed a few hills and took a couple of fast corners

The last 10 minutes of the drive was in slower traffic. Not stop and go but under 35 mph. The temp climbed to slowly to 104C. When I pulled in my garage the temp read 105C.

The AC was on the whole drive so I do not know if the fans were running (I check to make sure both were running) at low or high speed. As a side note, my Indy shop did a coolant flush earlier in the year. I did not notice any temp difference after the flush. The coolant level in the reservoir tank is at spec at start up and after driving.

My next step, I think, is it put a cooler thermostat (and water pump while I have it torn down) in. Thinking about this one: http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/...20and%20Gasket

Other suggestions?

Last edited by dedens; 07-24-2017 at 09:59 PM.
Old 07-25-2017, 01:51 AM
Bash Hat
Three Wheelin'

Received 414 Likes on 193 Posts

I still don't think you have a problem. During regular driving the car runs around 180 but gets a little hotter with spirited driving uphill in warm weather. Mine does the same thing and I have a new water pump and low temp stat. I think it's a function of these cars and possibly the amount of distance the coolant has to travel to do full loop of the cooling system it takes a while for the temp to cool down.
Old 07-25-2017, 01:54 AM
dedens
Instructor

How warm does your car get? Have you used the console 'Hack' (Recirculating & Air up buttons for 5 seconds) to see the actual temp?
Old 07-25-2017, 02:23 AM
Bash Hat
Three Wheelin'

Received 414 Likes on 193 Posts

Haven to done the hack but I will now that I know about it. At freeway speeds the needle is right at 12 o'clock. Stuck in traffic or going uphill in the canyons spiritedly it slowly gets to the "0" mark. A couple weeks back it was 115 degrees in the "valley" of LA. I was stuck behind a minivan going 15 mph uphill for approx 20 mins. Gauge went just past the last white line. Was about to shut it down but then crested to top of the hill, picked up speed toward Malibu where the temp dropped to 75 degrees. Car came back down to 180 pretty quickly. Here in LA there can be 40 degree differences in temps within a 20 minute drive. The pics were taken 36 miles apart!

Old 07-25-2017, 03:32 AM
Volkert
Racer

The suggested LTT is fine and I found general consensus that it makes sense to get it installed.
Difficult to judge of course from a distance but my observation would be that your car is still running relatively hot. Although the LTT will help in offering more cooling volume more quickly once fully open (so >180F) it will not make a difference anymore.
Another general consensus is to replace the waterpump at a certain interval. On my car it was 19 years old so I opted to get it replaced even if it still worked fine.

With LTT, new waterpump, rads cleaned, coolant flushed and fans running as they should your next option would be to replace the rads themselves and/or place a 3rd radiator to add cooling capacity.
Old 07-25-2017, 01:24 PM
dedens
Instructor

Once again,. Thank you for the input. After looking at the cost of parts....New fans, water pump, and thermostat I have decided to sell the car....

Just kidding...

Actually I broke down and ordered the Durmeteric enthusist version. Figure it will come in handy and really isn't all that expensive compared to buying parts I may or may NOT need.
I will post updates in the coming weeks.
Old 07-27-2017, 01:09 AM
dedens
Instructor

Durametric cable arrived today. Plan to download and configure the software this week. I will post results this weekend.
Old 07-27-2017, 01:22 PM
Volkert
Racer

So just a thought, we are all hung up on the coolant temperature, since it serves as a proxy for oil temperature. So is there a temp sensor for oil in the engine?
Old 07-27-2017, 01:31 PM
porschedog
Rennlist Member

Received 314 Likes on 202 Posts

^+1 what he said

(the temp hack is cool and new to me - I'll try it tonight on the drive home. Thanks for posting it!)
Old 07-27-2017, 01:34 PM
Volkert
Racer

I copied this from HRG / Pistonheads post.So 1c is oil temperature? I read somewhere else this is measured from the oil level sensor?

The AC Climatronic unit is actually manufactured by Audi. There is some sort of serial data stream (not CAN) that allows the AC unit to display engine parameters. This works on 1997-2000 boxsters/996

To switch from F to C:
Hold down the recirculating button then push both the temperature + - buttons.

To access diagnostics:

Hold down the Recirculating & Air up buttons for 5 seconds. The + - buttons go up and down through the list of "c" codes. The center vent button switches the left display between the "c" code and its actual value. Press the Auto button to exit.
Here is a list of what can be seen:

0c - ERL
1c - Oil Temp?
2c - Inside temp. Sensor mounted in the aspirator assembly at the side of the dash.
3c - Outside temp. Sensor located inside the air inlet of the A/C unit.
4c - Outside temp. Sensor located in front grill of the radiator. The data is fed to the Climatronic from the instrument cluster. When not moving, the instrument cluster OBC temp display retains it's last setting until moving. This is to prevent heat emanating from the radiator affecting the temperature sensor. The A/C unit uses the lower of the two outside air temp values in determining fresh-air temp.
5c - Outside temp. (matches with OBC outside temp display)
6c - Coolant temp.
7c - Footwell discharge temp.
8c - Sun sensor (dash top)
9c - Sun sensor.
10c - Passenger compartment fan speed.
11c - Passenger compartment fan voltage.
12c - Temperature mix Flap command 1=COLD, 100=HOT
13c - Temperature mix Flap position
14c - Central Flap command
15c - Central Flap position
16c - Footwell/Defrost Flap command
17c - Footwell/Defrost Flap position
18c - Recirculation Valve command 1=OFF, 100=RECIRC
19c - Recirculation Valve position (feedback)
20c - Vehicle speed in kph, updating only once per second. (real speed, not speed+safety margin as in the speedometer)
21c - Engine RPM in hundreds. This too only updates once per second.
22c - ?
23c - ?
24c - Sun sensor, exterior lights switch & panel lights control (term. 58 & 58d voltage) - used for A/C panel display illum.
25c - ?
26c - ?
27c - ?
28c - Fan speed?
29c - ?
30c - Engine run time in seconds (255 max.)(=0xff)
31c - Timing counter
32c - Displays test
33c - Software version? Mine states 3.4
34c - ?
35c - Outside temp. from inlet sensor (filtered?)
36c - temp?
Old 07-27-2017, 05:10 PM
AnthonyGS
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 90 Posts

After seeing this thread, I've been watching my temp closely here in hot DFW. My car doesn't get nearly as hot on the factory gauge. Now factory gauges aren't all that for perfect measurement but I'm getting up to about 190-195 max which is what most modern thermostats are set at.

Ive been daily driving mine in all sorts of traffic and heat since my wife's SUV was stolen recently. The 996 should go back to fun only duty soon.

Quick Reply: Temperature