Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Track day pics

Old 05-15-2017, 07:23 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

Very nice recovery - but mother of god that was actually pretty close to that very firm concrete wall ... are you pretty well at the limit of this car and its design?
Old 05-15-2017, 09:56 PM
DRPM
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Great recovery, well done!
Old 05-16-2017, 02:34 AM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Mike the car is a lot more capable than I am. I just have occ difficulty with the torque when wet or even in the dry with street tires (those are the only times I've spun in recent memory). There's always someone faster and faster machines. Just having fun. In the dry on r compounds, my car can be fast and under control. When I'm trying there aren't many cars in the advanced DE group that's much faster (1:52-1:53 ish on nitto nt01's at the ridge), but I usually take it easy (closer to 2mins) and still have fun. The 991gt3's and gt4's are fast, and I have difficulty keeping up when driven by a good driver on good tires. Those things can shift mid corner, I can hear them changing 2-3 gears while I'm just rolling on the throttle in 4th - not really fair! (having said that my car can often gain ground in those situations just staying in 4th. It's weird, totally different driving style - I try not to shift - as it takes longer and prone to mistakes when shifting and I have enough torque to stay in a higher gear, where as the new cars seem to shift as much as possible) Although I don't see them as often anymore, there are fast 997gt3's, gt3rs' and even occ 996gt3's, and probably a better comparison, but they are usually trailered and on hoosiers.
Old 05-16-2017, 10:27 AM
carguy19
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Basal Skull
Mike the car is a lot more capable than I am. I just have occ difficulty with the torque when wet or even in the dry with street tires (those are the only times I've spun in recent memory). There's always someone faster and faster machines. Just having fun. In the dry on r compounds, my car can be fast and under control. When I'm trying there aren't many cars in the advanced DE group that's much faster (1:52-1:53 ish on nitto nt01's at the ridge), but I usually take it easy (closer to 2mins) and still have fun. The 991gt3's and gt4's are fast, and I have difficulty keeping up when driven by a good driver on good tires. Those things can shift mid corner, I can hear them changing 2-3 gears while I'm just rolling on the throttle in 4th - not really fair! (having said that my car can often gain ground in those situations just staying in 4th. It's weird, totally different driving style - I try not to shift - as it takes longer and prone to mistakes when shifting and I have enough torque to stay in a higher gear, where as the new cars seem to shift as much as possible) Although I don't see them as often anymore, there are fast 997gt3's, gt3rs' and even occ 996gt3's, and probably a better comparison, but they are usually trailered and on hoosiers.
Makes a lot of sense. I would prefer driving a car like yours with a broad torque curve on the track rather then the GT3/GT4..... especially if you make a bad decision on a shift and the RPM comes down a little bit out of the sweet spot in the power band. I imagine this happens quite often with inexperienced drivers. With your car, once the boost comes up, you can kind of just use the turbos in a set gear and ride it out. Much easier to drive and for me it would be more fun.

Best of luck with it.
Old 05-17-2017, 02:05 AM
pstoppani
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll add that in this case, the track was slow to dry out in that spot. Traction was extremely poor there until much later after the rest of the track had a lot more grip, and, no walls!!

Ryojo, I have 6/9 in the calendar

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Track day pics