Sponsored by:

Need more GROWL

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2019, 11:40 PM
Neuro
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Need more GROWL

The mods on my 993 turbo are coming along very nicely. All RUF parts are on except for the the big engine work. The car has a x50 version 2 package which puts out 450 ho so I am holding off on the full ruf conversion until a later time.

The car car has a sports exhaust that comes with the original x50 package and has a beautiful burble to it on start and idle. However as most turbos the sound quiets significantly on acceleration. What is the best solution to get a similar burble or pop when driving like the NA cars. Sport cats? Removing muffler? Or is there a limit to this since it’s a turbo.

Thank you
Old 09-07-2019, 10:42 AM
bbs993tt
Rennlist Member

Received 338 Likes on 178 Posts

I've put muffler bypass pipes on each of my Turbos and have been extremely satisfied. By far the best mod for the money. Easy to do (and reverse) and takes about 40lbs out of the back end as an added bonus.
Old 09-07-2019, 11:41 AM
Nurburger
Rennlist Member

Received 558 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by bbs993tt
I've put muffler bypass pipes on each of my Turbos and have been extremely satisfied. By far the best mod for the money. Easy to do (and reverse) and takes about 40lbs out of the back end as an added bonus.
+1
Old 09-07-2019, 04:24 PM
Bradford
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

I would say that it depends on which cats you're running? For many years I ran a muffler bypass with 100 cell cats. It was just too loud for me so I put the sport mufflers back on. If you have stock cats, then muffler bypass would probably be a good choice.
Old 09-07-2019, 06:26 PM
Neuro
Advanced

I have stock cats. Cannot have it too loud. Is it a better sound to run sport cats or a Fabspeed muffler bypass.
Old 09-07-2019, 09:29 PM
JEllis
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Neuro
I have stock cats. Cannot have it too loud. Is it a better sound to run sport cats or a Fabspeed muffler bypass.
Both
Old 09-07-2019, 11:18 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 259 Posts

1. 200 cell CATs allows you more exhaust sound. This is a must.

2. FD mufflers gives you a warmer sound because it is still a muffler. Muffler bypass has a sharper barky sound. Basically a choice at this point.
Old 09-07-2019, 11:29 PM
Neuro
Advanced

Very helpful. Will start with Fabspeed muffler bypass then assess. If need more will change to sport cats. Does that sound reasonable?

I like the bark sounds. Had an f car for a bit and really enjoyed the note.
Old 09-08-2019, 12:18 AM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Very helpful. Will start with Fabspeed muffler bypass then assess. If need more will change to sport cats. Does that sound reasonable?

I would start with 200 cell Cats. These motors need to breathe better first to sound good.
The following users liked this post:
Fabspeed Motorsport (09-12-2019)
Old 09-08-2019, 08:32 AM
Kein_Ersatz
Rennlist Member

Received 243 Likes on 172 Posts

Darren Fister mod...
Old 09-08-2019, 10:49 AM
rlme36
Burning Brakes

Received 62 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by chsu74
I would start with 200 cell Cats. These motors need to breathe better first to sound good.
Chao who has the best 200 cell cat setup? I’d love a FD but don’t believe Darin is doing the mod any longer as I recall.
Old 09-08-2019, 11:29 AM
JEllis
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

I have the Fabspeed bypass and gutted cats. Its very loud at idle. But gets much quieter as the turbos spool.
Old 09-08-2019, 01:41 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rlme36
Chao who has the best 200 cell cat setup? I’d love a FD but don’t believe Darin is doing the mod any longer as I recall.
Ask Gert for 200 cell insert modding. FVD also sells 200 cell Cats I believe.
Old 09-09-2019, 07:14 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

I built a 3" exhaust with a big X-pipe, 200 cel sport cats and gutted mufflers. The original exhaust system does not mix the exhaust streams from the left and right bank, so the car on idle essentially sounds like two 3 cylinder engines, like a boat -- putt, putt, putt so I juist had to mix them. I had a Fabspeed system, but their portal between the the two sides is very small and not much mixing (in order to smooth out the putt-putt-putt idle sound) so I sold that after very little use. Since I used the stock mufflers in this iteration (although internally modified) I had to reduce my pipe from 3" down to 2.5:" just after the X-pipe to match. The sound came out pretty well, are a few Youtube videos to listen to (although they are pretty well useless since the sound in real life is often totally different than the mic picks up on the camera). You have to listen to various exhausts in real life, driving and observing, only way.

I found with my custom exhaust doing a muffler bypass a no-go - its loud, much louder than the stock system due to larger diameter pipes, and new 200 cel cats. Many of the older systems also have partially blocked cats which add to a muffling effect.

Unfortunately, these may not help you since my exhaust (and Basal Skull's in the first video) are totally custom one-of's that we fabricated ourselves (to a search, there are threads about it). Also look for Tacker's threads, he is the master fabricator here, BTW I have plans to build a lighter version this winter, eliminating the mufflers, which would have a switchable direct valve to I can have quiet mode to come in late at night, and a loud noise for fun.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 09-12-2019, 12:49 PM
Fabspeed Motorsport
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 676 Likes on 430 Posts

Hey guys/gals, Scott from Fabspeed here, great conversation here about what would be the most benefit for what you are trying to do. Being that what you may want from the car may be different from your neighbor, I think it really dials down to what sort of driving you do with the car. If this is a track car and exhaust decibels are not an issue, then muffler bypass is the way to go. Rowdy, bolt on, modification will definitely get you more "growl". Now that being said, if you are looking for a bit more of a refined exhaust note and weight savings isn't necessarily the top priority, personally, I would start with the sport cat x-pipe. Again, bolt on, no exhaust fumes, not TOO aggressive, passes emissions, adds power, and sounds awesome! Take a look at some of the info below and feel free to shoot me a PM with any questions!

• Fits all Porsche 993 Turbo / Turbo S vehicles (1995-1998)
  • Improves power and throttle response
  • Fabspeed's Sport Cat X-Pipe (in conjunction with our Muffler Bypass Pipes ) provides maximum gains of over 28 whp and 26 ft-lbs of torque at 5700 RPM. Peak power surges by 13 whp and 11 ft-lbs to 360 whp and 380 ft-lbs of torque.
  • Saves 8 lbs / 3.6 kg from the rear of the vehicle
  • Constructed from high-quality 14-16 gauge C.N.C. mandrel-bent T304L stainless steel for optimum flow and maximum durability
  • Direct bolt-on replacement for restrictive factory muffler
  • All Fabspeed performance products are backed by the Fabspeed Lifetime Warranty

Quick Reply: Need more GROWL