Notices
993 Turbo Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fabspeed Sportcat with Modified FD Turbo Mufflers - Has anyone done this?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2016, 09:58 AM
Cemoto
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 71 Posts
Default Fabspeed Sportcat with Modified FD Turbo Mufflers - Has anyone done this?

Hello -

Currently my car has stock cats and the muffler delete Fabspeed tips. It sounds good but I want to add the sport cats and let her breathe a little better. Some helpful advice has been given by a few who said the sport cats w/ no mufflers is loud but not too loud.

Last spring I purchased a Fabspeed sportcat set up (and have yet to install, I'm a busy guy in the summer) so am looking to finally get the 200 cells installed over the winter.

One of my other cars has the FB stage II's and another has the FabSpeed sport cat w/ stage 1's. We all know how great the FD cans sound, so I'm contemplating have the original turbo cans done by Darin. The sport cat w/ stage 1 on my NA car is most awesome!

I'm planning to see how the sport cat with muffler delete tips sound before I have my original cans modified.

I know I'm rambling a little, but I'm only halfway through my first cup of coffee.

Has anyone installed Darin's modified cans with sport cats?

Also, has anyone tried the longer NB wide ovals on tt?

TIA.

Regards,

Old 11-20-2016, 12:25 PM
OverBoosted28
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

You may end up with some "whooshing" sound at speed, but it's not bad at all. Just a lot of air moving thru the system. I have the longer (non-TT tips) exhaust tips. They stick out about 1"-1-1/2"s more than the OEM tips.
Old 11-20-2016, 02:38 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 259 Posts

The FD muffler will give slightly a warmer muffler sound and is not as loud but not that much. I have FD 200 cell and muffler. Comparing to Quads FD 200 cell and Fabspeed muffler bypass...

The muffler bypass gives more cooling to the turbos which I see as a plus. Downside is additional exposure to road debris to the turbos.
Old 11-20-2016, 05:20 PM
OverBoosted28
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by chsu74
Downside is additional exposure to road debris to the turbos.
Do you mean, since mufflers aren't there? Be cooler w/o the cans acting as convection ovens.
Old 11-20-2016, 07:17 PM
Cemoto
Rennlist Member

The FD muffler will give slightly a warmer muffler sound and is not as loud but not that much. I have FD 200 cell and muffler. Comparing to Quads FD 200 cell and Fabspeed muffler bypass...

The muffler bypass gives more cooling to the turbos which I see as a plus. Downside is additional exposure to road debris to the turbos.
Thank you. I didn't think about the added heat.

Warmer sound, with more heat. Darin is in Texas for the Tejas Trefen. I'm due to give him a call anyway.

Having the cans modded ends up being almost a $1k experiment. Mod is $600, ceramic coat is $200 and shipping out and back $125. I have no problem spending the money, just not certain if it is worth it when compared to the sound going muffless with just the FS tips. Or, in other words, will I be satisfied?

The other dilemma is once the stock cans are modded, I no longer have a stock pair.

OverB, any chance of a photo of the tips installed?

Thank you.

Anyone else?

Regards,

Old 11-20-2016, 11:15 PM
OverBoosted28
Rennlist Member

Name:  IMG_9438.PNG
Views: 569
Size:  4.42 MB
Old 11-21-2016, 03:15 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

The problem with this sort of ask is one man's too-loud exhaust is another's heaven -> every person has a different threshold of what is too loud, and a different feeling on what sounds good. That makes things interesting, but it also makes it very hard to rely on other people's opinions of exhaust notes.

I have run my exhaust multiple ways:

- totally stock
- stock cats and fister mufflers
- stock cats and fabspeed muffler delete tips
- fabspeed sport cats, x-pipe, and muffler delete tips
- fabspeed sport cats, x-pipe and stock mufflers
- fabspeed sport cats, x-pipe and fister mufflers

Well, none of the combinations above produced the sounds I wanted. Anything to do with the stock cats means the left and right banks are not being mixed, and the idle sound from each exhaust tip is essentially a 3 cylinder engine. On throttle its a bit better but still not that great. Adding the Fabspeed X-pipe helped a bit since it allows for right/left to mix, but the port size for mixing was a bit too small for my liking.

So, I decided to build my own system. Used 3" pipe through, and built a large cavity 3" pipe based X pipe to allow the exhausts to mix. I then ran the following combos.

- 3" X pipe, no cats, direct Fabspeed tips - WAY too loud
- 3" X pipe, 200 cell cats, direct Fabspeed tips - a bit quieter but still waking up the neighbourhood
- 3" X pipe, 200 cell cats, Fister turbo mufflers - almost perfect but a bit too quiet at time. This is the current setup

So this winter's project will be to continue enhancing the exhaust, and add valves to allow for a quiet and a sport mode. The objectives are:

- Sport mode to be louder than the current setup.
- Quiet mode to be about the same as now
- Switchable from the cabin
- Build into the system behind the engine to eliminate the mufflers, reducing turbo heat

I would prob work on this in Jan/Feb, not sure yet. Eventually, I would also like to build another one with a center exhaust, but that may require reworking the rear bumper, so I would need to find a second one to start with.

Cheers

Mike
Old 11-21-2016, 04:52 PM
Cemoto
Rennlist Member

Thanks OverB, your car looks great!

Thanks for the input Mike and I have been following your inventiveness. I guess I'll install the FS sport cats and go from there.

Thank you all.

Regards,

Old 11-21-2016, 06:53 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 259 Posts

All in all, I would do the 200 cell cats first with bypass. If you don't like it, then FD the muffler and then try that combo.

You will always be able to sell the Fister mufflers or muffler bypass easily. Stock turbo mufflers come up for sale every now and then. There was one FS a few months back. I would do a search and see if it sold.

Friday is going to be my last day in the 3TT this year. I would take a drive halfway to MA from CT if you want to hear it. PM me.
Old 11-21-2016, 07:22 PM
Cemoto
Rennlist Member

All in all, I would do the 200 cell cats first with bypass.
That is the plan.

Thank you very much for the kind offer of a meet. However, we are bringing the sleds up to Moosehead Lake this weekend. Had our first snow here yesterday, hopefully it will be a good season.

Regards,

Old 11-25-2016, 01:25 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

The sport cat stock muffler setup sounds pretty good. Re the switch, I believe fvd/mm sells the hardware to do it if you're so inclined, that would be the ideal system.
Old 11-26-2016, 01:35 PM
carguy19
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If I am not mistaken, you can ask Darin to make the turbo upgrade muffler a stage 3 style instead of the standard turbo configuration. Double check with him but I am pretty sure they can convert them further to be louder.
Old 11-26-2016, 08:18 PM
Cemoto
Rennlist Member

I spoke with Darin yesterday. My concern was that the sport cat w/o mufflers would be too loud. He assured me his mod to the OEM cans along with the sport cat sounds great and pointed me a direction to look.

Being too loud is a problem so stage 3 with sport cats will not happen.

I'm still going to stick with trying the sport cats w/ Fabspeed muffler delete tips and go from there.

Thanks!
Old 11-27-2016, 02:34 PM
Knight
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 42 Posts

The FD turbo IMO is pretty much a stage 3 equivalent, there is only one version on the Turbos. You have to keep in mind it will never be as loud as the NA cars as the turbos by nature will siphon some of the sound.
Old 11-30-2016, 11:44 PM
Acropora
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I tried those mufflers with a fab speed cat less exhaust and it was really loud. With the sport cats maybe it'll be perfect.

Quick Reply: Fabspeed Sportcat with Modified FD Turbo Mufflers - Has anyone done this?