Stock Boost Pressure???

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2016, 10:12 AM
carguy19
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Stock Boost Pressure???

Hi guys.

I just purchased my 993TT in midnight blue with marble gray interior early this year with 33K miles. I finally got around to doing a complete maintenance with plugs, distributor, changing all the fluids in the whole car, replacing the IC hoses and cleaning the car up.

The car runs very strong and my local INDY porsche mechanic said that the car is pristine in appearance and mechanically and that the perfomance of the car is as new.

I just wanted to know what the stock boost pressure on our cars should be. I am seeing (by what the factory guage is telling me) about .5 bar most times at full throttle, sometimes increasing up to 0.7/0.8 in higher gears depending on the weather, humidity etc.

The car is completely 100% bone stock.

Is this the normal range????

I live in NJ fairly close to sea level.

Thanks for any help you guys can provide in advance. RL has been a great wealth of information.

PS- what is everyone using as an ECU tune for a little bit of increased performance on the 993 turbos? I am not very familiar with the aftermarket on our cars.
Old 09-26-2016, 11:18 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,369 Likes on 793 Posts

yup, thats normal. The gauge is crap though, check it with a mechanical guage if you're curious.

but realistically, the motronic regulates the boost pressure, so if its very cold out, you won't see full boost but you'll still make good power (different than a standard mechanically regulated turbo car)

You probably don't want to mess with aftermarket tunes.

Last edited by Quadcammer; 09-26-2016 at 12:41 PM.
Old 09-26-2016, 11:28 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,954 Likes on 555 Posts

carguy- the best bet for doing tunes on these cars:

1) just doing a tune is not a good idea
2) make sure nothing is rotted, leaking, etc before engaging any major work
3) first thing to do- exhaust, tune by reputable shops: BBi is the shop I use in Orange County.
4) get better tires- because if you start putting anything more than 450HP to the ground on old tires you can get twisted up pretty easily.
Old 09-27-2016, 01:51 AM
Dick in TN
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My boost gauge is what it is, it tells me when I am on boost and how much. It works like it always has, and I've owned the car going on twenty years. I get 0.8 in any gear, which is where the stock ECU sets max boost. You can watch the boost as it climbs on the gauge, and feel it at the same time.
One way to tell if you are getting all the boost you should is do a 0 to 100 run against a stopwatch (level road, calibrated speedometer with a gps). If you break below 10 seconds your boost is good.
If it was my car I would make sure it is working as designed before getting someone to tinker with the ECU.
Old 09-27-2016, 12:39 PM
carguy19
Instructor

Thanks for the feedback guys. I just had my mechanic go through the whole car for me on the last service. He "put smoke through the intake tract" and used a black light to see if there were any boost leaks. The only thing that was leaking was the intercooler hoses so I did the Porsche updated hoses and he redid the check after the IC hoses.

So there are no leaks.

I also replaced the boost sender because my other one was bad.

I dont get .8 bar usually in 1-2nd gear, usually .5-6. I am hoping this is normal.
Old 09-27-2016, 03:43 PM
PiB993
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 99 Posts

Congratulations on the new Turbo!!!

There's a lot to learn if you are new to air cooled Porsches and 'The Turbo'. Get the correct small filter during oil changes. 20w-50 oil. And really if it is on stock suspension that should be brought to the rest of the world (ROW) ride height. Plenty of info searching forums here.

No way would I be able to check if I was getting .8 bar boost in first gear with the pedal floored - yikes!

Old 09-27-2016, 03:43 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,369 Likes on 793 Posts

yup, sounds right to me.
Old 09-27-2016, 06:16 PM
carguy19
Instructor

Thanks guys.
Old 09-27-2016, 08:21 PM
DiegoR
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

Can we get photos of the car and specially the interior? Is a must post photos when a noob show up here

Mine is marble grey too
Old 09-28-2016, 07:42 PM
carguy19
Instructor

Originally Posted by DiegoR
Can we get photos of the car and specially the interior? Is a must post photos when a noob show up here

Mine is marble grey too
I will get a few this weekend. Its been gray and cloudy here in NJ, and the car needs a bath from the dust in my garage. I will post some up soon.

The interior of my car is like brand new. It's got the hardback sport seats too
Old 09-28-2016, 09:26 PM
DiegoR
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by carguy19
I will get a few this weekend. Its been gray and cloudy here in NJ, and the car needs a bath from the dust in my garage. I will post some up soon.

The interior of my car is like brand new. It's got the hardback sport seats too
Awesome! Mine too, sport hardbacks rocks!👍🏼
Old 09-28-2016, 09:48 PM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

Received 238 Likes on 160 Posts

Congrats. Had mine 7 years and it's still my favourite Porsche. Mine's all original except for billet diverter valves and , excluding 1st, it reads 0.8 WOT in every gear all the time.

Quick Reply: Stock Boost Pressure???