Notices
993 Turbo Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dual Fuel Pumps - Fitting thoughts/pictures?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2016, 11:22 AM
sfl993t4
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dual Fuel Pumps - Fitting thoughts/pictures?

Hi

I'm fitting a second 044 in series with my stock pump, and apparently its possible to remove the rubber casing from the stock pump and then strap both pumps together and squeeze them into the stock location under the car.

Has anyone done this or got pictures of something similar. Just wanted to check if there is anything (apart from a bit of extra fuel pump noise) to look out for before I try it.

Any other thoughts or different solutions? Needless to say the car isn't stock (otherwise wouldn't need the extra fuel pump).

Steve
Old 07-08-2016, 01:57 PM
OverBoosted28
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Use the 044 by itself. More than adequate for at least 700+ hp build. Some say up to 1000. If you try and run them together, there's a bit of plumbing that needs to be sorted, to reap the benefit of two pumps. Unless you're trying to have a back up pump (so if one fails), then I wouldn't waste the effort.
Old 07-09-2016, 02:38 AM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

I've seen pics of two pumps in the stock position, might have somewhere, I'll look. Also quite a bit of controversy to plumb in series or parallel. I have the stock one in the stock position and have an 044 in series where the fuel filter is. It's plugged into the same electrical circuit/wiring as the stock pump, so far it's been ok.
Old 07-09-2016, 07:40 AM
sfl993t4
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi

If you could find any pics that would be great, I've wired a new relay and fuse into the front relay box (got a spare loom from eBay and butchered it for various connectors/relay holders etc.) so that I can run a second power supply to the second pump. Definitely going series rather than parallel. Do you have any pics of your set-up just as an alternative?

Steve
Old 07-09-2016, 12:13 PM
carguy19
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In building many race cars and being a gear head for many years. I've been mainly into drag racing. Mostly with Ford V8 mustangs. They have an extensive aftermarket for them.

A few things you can do to increase the amount of fuel for any type of horsepower you could throw at a 6 cyl Porsche engine:

Walbro makes an in tank pump, similar to what our cars have now, that is literally 3-4 times stronger for delivery and volume of fuel. It is rated at 465 liters per hour. Which is HUGE.

Here it is: http://www.lethalperformance.com/wal...ompatible.html

You can also use a fuel pump voltage booster which can increase the output of a stock in tank pump or the larger walbro pump. A product like this:

http://www.kennebell.net/KBWebsite/A...boostapump.htm

If you really needed dual pumps you can find a way to modify your tank/fuel hat (it may even drop right into the tank if its the same diameter hole. This product is excellent and you can plumb AN fittings and braided steel lines for a fuel system that would be indestructible and last a lifetime.

http://www.lethalperformance.com/div...old-46610.html

There are some calculators online if you google them, to let you know what fuel volume and pressure you will need based on the cubic inch/centimeter engine you are using, the horsepower level, the car's weight and some other factors. If you google fuel pump calculator you should be able to find it.

if you have any questions feel free to PM me. I have a ton of experience with fueling on much larger motors, so I surely can help you piece together something that will support your horsepower level.

(my last car was a 2014 shelby supersnake that made 840hp to the wheels. That car used 2 255lph STOCK FORD in tank pumps with a boost a pump (the voltage increase to the pump). That car had plenty of fuel and only had injector duty cycles of 75% with the stock injectors. I probably could have gotten away with just using the stock pumps with no booster, but I didn't want to lose a motor by running a car on the edge of having too little fuel and leaning out.
Old 07-09-2016, 04:30 PM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

I'm at the track today, can take better pics tomorrow.
But just remembered the reason this works for me is that I've deleted the hydraulics/reservoir. Put the pump where the fuel filter was and moved the filter to where the hydraulic reservoir was to make it easily accessible.
Attached Images  
Old 07-09-2016, 04:31 PM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Pic
Attached Images  
Old 07-11-2016, 01:17 AM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Sorry can't find pics of extra pump in stock position, I thought I had found one when I was trying to do the same thing but can't find it.
Pics of mine probably doesn't help since the pump is located where the fuel filter used to be and the fuel filter is where the hydraulic reservoir used to be (easier access to change vs original position) ... but here they are anyways.
Attached Images       

Quick Reply: Dual Fuel Pumps - Fitting thoughts/pictures?