DIY Fun

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2003, 11:40 PM
911/Q45
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIY Fun

Just finished a 2 day DIY marathon, oil, trans & front differential fluid, steering/clutch fluid, A/C blower resistor, oil blower temp sensor. It all turned out great, but I had one incident that will elicit sympathy from other DIY guys and amusement for those smart enough to hire it done. I had drained the front differential and was preparing to fill it using a small squeeze bottle. Prior to starting, I tried a dry fit with the bottle to figure out the right angle of attack. The bottle had a cap on it and you know where it ended up after I pulled the bottle out! I hoped it would fall down to where I could remove it through the drain, but no such luck. I haven't had a car that I screwed up towed to rescue since I was 17, but that was staring me in the face. I decided I had nothing to lose by further disassembly, so I unbolted the side cover and pried it out as far as the flange would let me. I could see the cap through the small gap afforded, but couldn't remove it. However, I was able to rotate the cover around to match the filler hole with the cap location. Tweezers pulled it out, things were buttoned back up and victory was declared.
Old 10-18-2003, 12:32 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

You got off lucky with that one... Sounds like a lot of work, but rewarding in the end. Congrats on finishing the Marathon.. Next year you need to work on lowering your time. And remember, practice, practice, practice..
Old 10-18-2003, 03:14 PM
SPR
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is a special pump for the mobil one that slips onto the bottle and then has a hose that goes wherever you want it so there is no issue of angle of attack. I found it very helpful when changing the tranny fluid on my 996. At what mileage do you do the front diff typically? I like to consort with others before I tackle most diy's, that p-car.com site is great for that also! Anyone know any others? thanks
Old 10-18-2003, 05:13 PM
911/Q45
Addict
Rennlist Member

I figured the front differential was another set of gears like the transaxle, so I use the same interval, 50K. I prefer the bottle to the pump because you can just wipe the bottle off when you're done, the pump seems to ooze from hidden vesicles forever. Unfortunately, no one too consort with here, aside from a ready supply of high school and college kids. Their eagerness generally is way offset by their clumsiness.
Old 10-19-2003, 07:38 PM
SPR
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah I guess so, but there are archives also that have useful info.

Quick Reply: DIY Fun