Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   993 Turbo Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/993-turbo-forum-62/)
-   -   Check valves. (https://rennlist.com/forums/993-turbo-forum/932409-check-valves.html)

smokersteve 05-03-2016 06:53 PM

Check valves.

Lookin at getting these.
What are you guys think about this kit?
TurboKraft
http://turbokraft.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=39&products_id=81

I have also looked at UMW kit. But they will take a long time to get...

Any others?

Rick GT3 05-03-2016 10:13 PM

have them(turbo kraft) on my 993tt w no complaints.

OverBoosted28 05-03-2016 11:23 PM

^^^^^^^^SAA!!!!

ctsang103 05-04-2016 02:36 AM

I've have an extra set of Ruf Check Valves, my car apparently already had a set installed when I went into install a set of turbo oil return lines.

PM me if you're interested.

Bass993 05-04-2016 04:53 PM

I have had the TurboKraft check valves installed on my 993TT for a few years now and report no problems at all. No exhaust smoking after storage for the winter too!

DiegoR 05-04-2016 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by Bass993 (Post 13258165)
I have had the TurboKraft check valves installed on my 993TT for a few years now and report no problems at all. No exhaust smoking after storage for the winter too!

Did you buy/install then after having smoke at the start up problems? if so, did they cure the smoke?

I just installed them but it will be a long time before I can test them.

Stewart 05-05-2016 08:25 AM

I had the TurboKraft check valves fitted to my previous turbo as a preventative measure and my current turbo had the same ones fitted by the PO for the same reason. TurboKraft seem a good bunch to deal with and the product feels nicely made.

ronnie993tt 05-05-2016 10:53 PM

+5 4 turbokraft

smokersteve 05-06-2016 02:16 PM

Just placed the order for the oil feed check valve kiy from TurboKraft

Now I'm still looking for the oil return lines with the upside down "P" trap design.
I have not found anyone that makes them.

DiegoR 05-06-2016 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by smokersteve (Post 13264373)

Now I'm still looking for the oil return lines with the upside down "P" trap design.

Someone sent me once a link/photos of those lines you talk about, and he used to reproduce them.

Turbokraft also sell those return lines but with check valves. I wanted to try firs the feed line turbo check valves kit first if not enough I will do my own return lines, that's piece of cake.

PiB993 05-06-2016 03:00 PM

RUF? They have P-traps that are available. That's what I'm looking at. Made from a solid oil pipe not tubing. There was just a thread on all this but I won't complain it's good to see some action in this forum.

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-turb...d-lines-2.html

smokersteve 05-06-2016 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by PiB993 (Post 13264547)
RUF? They have P-traps that are available. That's what I'm looking at. Made from a solid oil pipe not tubing. There was just a thread on all this but I won't complain it's good to see some action in this forum.

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-turb...d-lines-2.html

Can you send me a link for the ruf lines?

smokersteve 05-06-2016 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by DiegoR (Post 13264482)
Someone sent me once a link/photos of those lines you talk about, and he used to reproduce them.

Turbokraft also sell those return lines but with check valves. I wanted to try firs the feed line turbo check valves kit first if not enough I will do my own return lines, that's piece of cake.

I didn't see that they have return lines on their Web site.

DiegoR 05-06-2016 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by smokersteve (Post 13264753)

I will cehck for that link.

No they don't have it, but I think I have their email and they sent me the brochure for both kits. I can forward that to you?

OverBoosted28 05-06-2016 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by smokersteve (Post 13264753)

Originally Posted by DiegoR (Post 13264979)
I will cehck for that link.

No they don't have it, but I think I have their email and they sent me the brochure for both kits. I can forward that to you?

I think only Kevin and RUF are the only commercially available return lines, with inverted P-traps. Turbokraft only has the oil feed lines, with the check valves. There's no check valves in the return lines, only the inverted traps.

DiegoR 05-06-2016 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by OverBoosted28 (Post 13265045)
I think only Kevin and RUF are the only commercially available return lines, with inverted P-traps. Turbokraft only has the oil feed lines, with the check valves. There's no check valves in the return lines, only the inverted traps.

I stand correct in what I said previously :) Here is a screen shot...

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...b00f904583.png

smokersteve 05-06-2016 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by DiegoR (Post 13265427)

Can you provide a link for that kit?

PiB993 05-06-2016 09:49 PM

Regarding RUF P-Trap pipes ordering

From the thread I posted earlier:

'Originally Posted by nine45s View Post
Nice stable DRPM.
Got a link to the RUF P trap lines ???

U can email:
stefan.gebauer@ruf-automobile.de
If you already have the check valves installed just ask him for the oil return lines for 993TT. Cost is around 170 Euro for the pair + shipping
Perfect fit and great service.

They also sell a complete kit with check valves which is very reasonably priced IMO.
Good luck.'

Sorry for the poor cross post. Somewhere there is a RUF catalog pdf with the p-traps but you just need to email the guy above. I like the idea of having a little RUF in my car.

OverBoosted28 05-06-2016 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by DiegoR (Post 13265427)

I stand "corrected" (-:
I must have an older bookmark, since I had never seen it. Thanks for clarifying my misinformation.

ronnie993tt 05-07-2016 05:39 PM

A previous owner installed the turbo craft feed lines and even though I fill so the oil level and temp gage and stick each read 1/3 or 1/2 ie. they match as the oil heats up, I've never had smoke. In my case the return lines have not been necessary.

DRPM 05-07-2016 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by PiB993 (Post 13265705)
From the thread I posted earlier:

'Originally Posted by nine45s View Post
Nice stable DRPM.
Got a link to the RUF P trap lines ???

U can email:
stefan.gebauer@ruf-automobile.de
If you already have the check valves installed just ask him for the oil return lines for 993TT. Cost is around 170 Euro for the pair + shipping
Perfect fit and great service.

They also sell a complete kit with check valves which is very reasonably priced IMO.
Good luck.'

Sorry for the poor cross post. Somewhere there is a RUF catalog pdf with the p-traps but you just need to email the guy above. I like the idea of having a little RUF in my car.

^
RUF Product served me very well

Contact Stephan and he will do same I'm sure

Derek

DRPM 05-07-2016 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by smokersteve (Post 13264373)

PM Sent to you

DiegoR 05-09-2016 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by smokersteve (Post 13265639)
Can you provide a link for that kit?

There's a no link I believe. You would need to email them directly asking for it. At this point I'm not sure if that kit is direct bolt on or you need to bend/cut the lines to make them fit? It's a bit pricey IMO. I just purchased the oil feed turbo lines kit from them only.

Originally Posted by OverBoosted28
I stand "corrected" (-:
I must have an older bookmark, since I had never seen it. Thanks for clarifying miss misinformation.

Haa! My english is not that good, thanks for the correction! :)

No problem :thumbup:

PiB993 05-17-2016 10:45 PM

Below is the Ruf "oil stop valve kit" Basically the P-Traps and Check Valves. The shipping speed was amazing. I paid last Thursday and received them Monday! But - $553.81usd at the time. (474 Euro) :eek: Shipping and paypal fees were 80 euros.

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...d9e415959e.jpg

OverBoosted28 05-17-2016 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by PiB993 (Post 13297326)
Below is the Ruf "oil stop valve kit" Basically the P-Traps and Check Valves. The shipping speed was amazing. I paid last Thursday and received them Monday! But - $553.81usd at the time. (474 Euro) :eek: Shipping and paypal fees were 80 euros.

I think I paid about $425 (TurboKraft) a few years back, for my feed lines/valves. If I was doing it now, I'd go all in for this kit. Like the banjo ends better.

smokersteve 05-18-2016 01:16 AM

I emailed him a week ago and no reply. I have the feed check valves from turbo kraft. Still trying to find somewhere to get the drain tubes....

PiB993 05-18-2016 01:57 AM

You know the Germans. They have extensive holidays and breaks. It took a few days for him to initially respond to me.

ronnie993tt 05-18-2016 06:40 PM

Turbo Kraft

1 Attachment(s)
I like the high loops on the TK feed lines.....

DRPM 05-20-2016 07:44 PM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by PiB993 (Post 13297326)

great kit from RUF, quality is worth every euro :-)
the oil return lines fit perfectly.
i recommend a little permatex 54540 on each tube end and first threads to seal.
alternatively RUF use the Porsche gasket per pic.

DRPM 05-20-2016 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by smokersteve (Post 13297726)
I emailed him a week ago and no reply. I have the feed check valves from turbo kraft. Still trying to find somewhere to get the drain tubes....

keep after RUF, they are sometimes a little busy...good luck
i called them on Skype,

PiB993 08-02-2016 01:54 AM

I'm a few months away from my oil change but I'll have my mechanic install the ruff traps and check valves then. How much should I expect this to cost for installation?

I wish I could do it myself but I don't have garage space to do it.

tailwind22 08-05-2016 01:14 AM

So I bought the RUF kit a few months ago, check lines and P trap tubes, to install myself. P trap tubes were a piece of cake but I was unable to install the check lines with the engine in and mufflers removed. So I ordered a set of check lines from forum sponsor Kevin at Ultimate Motor Works and sold the RUFs. Kevin's were not easy but were doable in the end. When I emailed RUF they stated that they always remove the engine to install the kit. I am guessing there have been some on this forum that were able to install the RUF check lines with the engine in and hats off to them.

PiB993 08-06-2016 02:59 PM

:icon501: You got to be kidding me! Remove the mufflers - okay but the engine? It will be interesting how I time this install.

PiB993 02-16-2018 07:40 PM

Other than the ruf P-Traps - the braided oil lines and check valves/washers in the picture above I posted in the box were useless for me and my mechanic. I had to order the turbo kraft check valve kit. I guess I can try to sell the items in the picture above except for the p-trap (hard lines). How much labor cost do people think the check valve installation should cost? It was $$$$ for me. I guess I DO live in the land of the rising rent.

OverBoosted28 02-17-2018 03:59 PM

I cannot see the need, to drop engine for this. I’m thinking a better, more reasonable mechanic?

PiB993 02-20-2018 06:59 PM

I seem to be getting a puff of smoke now and then. Not on start up but after I've been driving around then in slow traffic. I noticed in these cold temps (and installation of check valves) my temp gauge shot up much faster than normal in standing traffic - went beyond 9 o'clock. That's unusual for my car. Could the cold temps be messing with the thermostat to the front radiator?

OverBoosted28 02-22-2018 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by PiB993 (Post 14816533)
I seem to be getting a puff of smoke now and then. Not on start up but after I've been driving around then in slow traffic. I noticed in these cold temps (and installation of check valves) my temp gauge shot up much faster than normal in standing traffic - went beyond 9 o'clock. That's unusual for my car. Could the cold temps be messing with the thermostat to the front radiator?

If you didn’t install these, are sure they’re done correctly, I might be a bit concerned over temp changes, assoc. with the work being done. Don’t see why a correct install would change the rate/amount it heats up. If you can assure it’s plumbed correctly, then hopefully it’s just an issue with float in tank. If you haven’t manually calibrated (bent) float assm. then do so. It takes a lot of guesswork out, and is nice to have it correlate with dipstick.

Vincent C. 02-26-2018 05:12 PM

Check valves

Originally Posted by OverBoosted28 (Post 13265045)

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...48fde468d.jpeg

This is how we have done the check valve in the factory line...we cut, modify, reweld the nut and then flare the end of the line so it looks factory....

OverBoosted28 03-01-2018 12:24 AM

Originally Posted by Vincent C. (Post 14831854)

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...48fde468d.jpeg

This is how we have done the check valve in the factory line...we cut, modify, reweld the nut and then flare the end of the line so it looks factory....

Those look very nice.

PiB993 04-03-2018 01:42 PM

FWIW - oil was leaking out the right side turbo. Got it fixed gratis. As I understood it there was a steel washer used instead of an aluminum crush washer on one of the oil pipe fittings - not 100% sure on that though. Now car has been getting detailed for the last week :rockon: - always helps ending the water drought :rolleyes:

Ridin Dirty 04-07-2018 09:06 PM

So best place to buy is TurboKraft?

Kevin doesn't do this anymore?

Been through this before probably just the filter...... but it would be nice not to torque it "just right" for it to work.....but it seems like a lot of work to install the check valves.

But I can't believe i messed up the filer torque....i just changed the oil......and now it smokes......and i've done it wrong once (most everyone does on their first change) and then correctly many times thereafter.....i guess i did it wrong again.
may just try a new filter perhaps the valve in there not working (of course we talkin Porsche brand only)......with the dry sump i think i can remove the lil guy w/o oil going everywhere.....is that right? dont want to discard the new 20/50 mobil V.

thanks
joe

Mike J 04-08-2018 02:54 AM

What exact filter did you use? Porsche now has a Turbo-specific small filter for the 993TT - I have a used on which I am going to cut apart to see what the differences are, once I get to it.

Ridin Dirty 04-08-2018 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by Mike J (Post 14926414)
What exact filter did you use? Porsche now has a Turbo-specific small filter for the 993TT - I have a used on which I am going to cut apart to see what the differences are, once I get to it.

OMG ya know I've heard of this. Perhaps that's it. I don't have part # for one on vehicle (that is until i remove it :)) But I did just order one from Sunset Porsche $25 delivered (best i could find) part # 993-107-203-05......i think that is accurate. let me know if you think it's not plz

oh and can i remove small oil filter without draining oil? or just drain a lil? i want to save that oil since it's new and I put some break in oil in there with even more zinc; just a lil.

Thanks
Joe

rwestervelt 04-08-2018 04:49 PM

I recently purchased supply lines with 996 check valves from Kevin.

993 107 203 05 is the correct part number for the small filter. I believe it is now the same part number for all NA and Turbo 993. From the TSB: "Once existing stock of the small oil filter, part number 993 107 203 00 is used up, only the small oil filter, part number 993 107 203 02 will be available" This was from 1995. Since then there have been several iterations and the correct number is 993 107 203 05.

Yes, you can remove the small filter without draining the oil.

Ridin Dirty 04-09-2018 11:20 AM

Thanks!!!!

still scratching my head as to what I did wrong

but I will try the new filter and hope for the best

If that doesn’t work I will contact Kevin

in the meantime I have done this (pic) I remember reading years ago this is what PORSCHE used to do for the track in racing (park em with rear up)

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...4cc8b7493.jpeg

Originally Posted by rwestervelt (Post 14927414)
I recently purchased supply lines with 996 check valves from Kevin.

993 107 203 05 is the correct part number for the small filter. I believe it is now the same part number for all NA and Turbo 993. From the TSB: "Once existing stock of the small oil filter, part number 993 107 203 00 is used up, only the small oil filter, part number 993 107 203 02 will be available" This was from 1995. Since then there have been several iterations and the correct number is 993 107 203 05.

Yes, you can remove the small filter without draining the oil.

Ridin Dirty 04-14-2018 09:29 AM

QUICK UPDATE
have not received new small filter yet BUT i parked it on the incline (as pictured) and that worked; not even the slightest puff of smoke. And she has sat for a solid week....there would have been a massive smoke screen for sure after a week.

All that smoke has to be detrimental for the turbos even if we all know it will burn off in 10 min of driving; it has to leave some gunk behind.
So as a TEMPORARY mitigation to protect your turbos until you acquire the right filter or the time to spin it on....parking on an incline apparently works....

Joe

Mike J 04-14-2018 08:57 PM

I have heard that the problem with the excess oil is that it can get carbonized since it makes it to the combustion side of the turbo, and if it gets bad, it can impact the oil seals. If that gets bad, its turbo rebuild time .... Good to know about the incline trick!

Cheers,

Mike

OverBoosted28 04-15-2018 12:47 PM

The oil cooks, becomes hard as nails, and grinds away at anything within reach. :-

Ridin Dirty 04-16-2018 12:43 PM

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...633638c47.jpeg
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...4a9b5a63e1.jpg
guys does this look right to you ? I emailed the Porsche dealership about making sure this is the correct filter making the distinction between the turbo and non-turbo and Porsche versus non-Porsche branded filters and they assured me that this is the correct filter going forward I’ve installed the right filter countless times and it never said MAHLE on it So is this the new norm for us the new new stock of correct filters says MAHLE on it ? Thanks Joe

Johnny_law 04-16-2018 03:19 PM

Yep, that's the right one.