Sponsored by:

New Clutch

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2003, 02:10 PM
CS2CC6
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking New Clutch

Thanks to you all, I have just gotten my car back from the shop with a new LWF assembly!!
Three questions:
1) The shop told me GT2 PP is the same as the Turbo PP. Is that true?
2) I am getting some heavy rattling (sounds like its coming from the transmission) in slow traffic.... any suggestions?
3) what's the difference between AP made clutch and Sachs? Which is better? (I see the original is AP and my new clutch is Sachs).

Any suggestions and comments?

Thanks,
Old 10-08-2003, 03:51 PM
SPR
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

chatter is common when you get a lightened flywheel and don't increase the pressure plate holding. I would be more interested in if they put the right parts in, did you supply them? sachs makes the oem replacement clutches. Their power clutch kit is a pos and does not that much more when measured on the pp and not much more holding friction wise with the disc.
Old 10-08-2003, 03:51 PM
SPR
Drifting

I should say it is a pos for the money when basically it's hardly different from the oem one-
Old 10-08-2003, 09:17 PM
AndyGlaister
Intermediate

I too have the lightened flywheel (no dual mass) and get rattling type sounds when lugging or pulling away - it's not too bad, but it does not sound great either. I do think the engine revs slightly better, but if you are concerned about your car making any odd noises I would not recommend the lightened flywheel.

I was conerned about stalling (which I have hear can be common) - 95' 993's and older were not able to compensate for the faster revving enough to prevent stalling. The 993 TT's don't seem to have this issue, but it's slightly trickier to hold revs and slip the clutch (say parking or on a hill) - It's not a big issue though, even my wife has no trouble in the car.

I have no idea how you would 'increase the presure plate holding' - and have never heard of such a thing. Porsche used the dual mass to help mask these gear noises.
Old 10-08-2003, 10:33 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Andy,

Interesting thread. I'm looking forward to the LWF/GT2 clutch assembly to replace my OEM flywheel/clutch when it finally wears out (58,000 miles and still going strong). I drove another 993TT that had the LWF/GT2 clutch assy, and didn't notice any major difference in gear rattle or stalling. The car is very strong, but then it has the full FVD upgrade package.

But you got me thinking about the gear rattle. It must be that the dual mass flywheel smooths out the cylinder firing "pulses" which the light flywheel allows to pass through to the gearbox, causing the rattle. I can't think of any scenario where a different disc/PP would help this situation.

I'd love to get to the bottom of this. Is my analysis correct?
Old 10-09-2003, 10:44 AM
CS2CC6
Instructor

Andy,
I guess I am just getting similar rattles as you... no big deal. Engine sure revs great though!
No stalling problem here.

Still would like to find out which disc and PP I got.

The PP I got was exactly the same as the one I replaced (OEM). On the side of the PP, it is showing "AP" and "TURBO". The shop told me GT2 uses the same PP as the Turbo... Is this true?

The New disc is showing "sachs" with 4 blue springs in the middle where as the original had no springs and says "AP".

Can any one tell me what I have?
Tks!@!
Old 10-09-2003, 10:50 AM
CS2CC6
Instructor

just trying my new Casio Camera...
Old 10-09-2003, 11:57 AM
ScottMellor
Drifting

I have no drivability issues nor do I really hear a rattle. There is a absolutely miniscule grumbling noise in first and second. But if that bothered me I'd have to look under my mattress to see if the pea was keeping me awake at night
To be fair, I am told there are various versions of LWFs and some are more LW than others, so YMMV. I have read descriptions of bolts on a washing machine and that is not what I'm experiencing.
Old 10-09-2003, 02:42 PM
SPR
Drifting

Interesting. Well from what I was told the issue with clatter as I found out with the 996 using a lfw is that the stock pressure plate has a tougher time clamping and so it does the chattaaa. with the fvd upgrade as long as it really is an upgrade and not the sachs power junk basically stock, then it should cure that ill. I would think that the gt2 real one would have a stiffer pressure plate.
Old 10-09-2003, 03:37 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

SPR,

I think you are refering to clutch CHATTER while engaging. This is different from the gear RATTLE that some people discuss with the LWF. You are correct, chatter is controlled by the disc friction material and the pressure plate. Gear rattle, on the other hand is a little baffling, unless my theory (earlier post) is correct.
Old 10-09-2003, 03:41 PM
SPR
Drifting

oh dunno just going on what I have been told time and time again after I extensively searched the topic for my 996 and was told this by almost every mechanic that had done multiple installs.
Old 10-09-2003, 04:53 PM
JohnM
Racer

It must be that the dual mass flywheel smooths out the cylinder firing "pulses" which the light flywheel allows to pass through to the gearbox, causing the rattle. I can't think of any scenario where a different disc/PP would help this situation.
That's correct. The clutch used with the LWF has springs that act as torsional vibration dampers, but not as effectively as the dual mass flywheel.
Old 10-10-2003, 09:06 AM
krish
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

I think I'd agree with John. The LWF is a one piece unit whereas the DMF is as its name implies a two piece unit that's sprung torsionaly one against the other. This I think damps out any 'chatter' that might arise out of power train 'pulses'. My 0.2 cents...

I have a LWF kit with a GT2 PP and disc (from Rennsport) and do notice a very slight chatter when 'lugging' the engine at any speed and throttle position but if I'm well within the powerband note no such problems. Maybe just lucky or as Scott has pointed maybe not all LWFs' are created equal.. The kit I bought from Steve W didn't even have a torsionaly sprung clutch disc which concerned me initialy as I felt there was now no 'give' in the powertrain which could send shocks through it but am happy to report no issues here either.

CS2CC6, it's a maze out there with various options available to our cars on both maintenance and upgrades. It doesn't help that various tuners/parts suppliers use the same terms like 'GT2' to describe totaly different speced parts. Wait till you get the turbo upgrade itch.... I am a novice here myself and am treading lightly as I go along so I can't offer much in the way of info as to what exactly you have in the way of your clutch but there's some really clued in guys here who might.

cheers,
Kris
'97 993tt
'89 535I
'89 Nissan 300ZXTT
'00 Mit Evo 6 TM
'00 Trackmagic 125cc shifter kart
Old 10-10-2003, 07:50 PM
Pete K
Pro

Steve, Didn't the first owner after PCNA have to replace the 1st gear shaft? I thought I remembered seeing that receipt. I wonder if the clutch was replaced then?

Pete
Old 10-10-2003, 08:31 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Pete... its possible that I missed that on the service records, but I think I would have noticed. I'll go back and check again. BTW, when they replaced the first gear (under warranty), they used the 1997 (stonger) part. So, what's cooking with your clutch booster?

Quick Reply: New Clutch