Sponsored by:

muffler mounting bracket removal

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2016, 10:42 PM
Campy
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default muffler mounting bracket removal

Hey Gang … looks like my boost hoses need to be replaced on my 97 TT. I have started on the drivers side and pulled the rear wheel and muffler to try and get better access. Now the muffler mounting bracket seems to be in the way!
I bought a long socket extension to get to the mounting bolt on the cam cover in front of the boost hose but the one behind it seems to be blocked by the sump vent tube? Also looks like the bracket is attached to the turbo housing/hanger as well?
Does anyone have any pointers for a 1st timer here on how to get this sucka removed and out of the way ? Pictures would be extra nice :lowdown:

below is a picture of the area … you can see the bolt on the cam cover in front (left of the boost hose as you are looking at the screen) I got that one loose but the other … to the rear and partially covered that has that vent tube in front of it … also you see the bolt right behind the vent tube which I think also has to come off ...

TIA !!

Jeff

Last edited by Campy; 01-14-2016 at 11:04 PM.
Old 01-14-2016, 11:00 PM
OverBoosted28
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

If you're just replacing the boost/intercooler hoses, you don't need to touch the brackets. The hex head bolt can easily round out. Don't touch it if you don't have to. Clamps on bottom at turbos, and the clamps at intercooler, done!
Old 01-14-2016, 11:10 PM
Campy
Instructor

Originally Posted by OverBoosted28
If you're just replacing the boost/intercooler hoses, you don't need to touch the brackets. The hex head bolt can easily round out. Don't touch it if you don't have to. Clamps on bottom at turbos, and the clamps at intercooler, done!
Thx for that quick reply OB28 … it just seems so fricken tight in there that I thought it would be much easier if I pulled the bracket off … little did I realize that I would have to pull like 3 more items to do that!!!
Old 01-14-2016, 11:13 PM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

^ +1 I've even reattached the hose with the wheel/muffler on, on my back with a flashlight on the side of the road. If you are replacing the hose, you should really consider https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=28499
(pics might also give you ideas on how to reach the clamps).
Old 01-14-2016, 11:31 PM
Campy
Instructor

Originally Posted by Basal Skull
^ +1 I've even reattached the hose with the wheel/muffler on, on my back with a flashlight on the side of the road. If you are replacing the hose, you should really consider https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=28499
(pics might also give you ideas on how to reach the clamps).
Thanks as well Basel … I did see that thread and read/looked at all 14 pages … but of course AFTER I already purchased a set of OEM hoses !!! Not sure I want to outlay other $500+ at this point … wonder what the cost on those would be now since it has been a couple years … do you have a contact at s car go by chance?

Thx
Old 01-14-2016, 11:40 PM
OverBoosted28
Rennlist Member

Just call "S-car-go, and ask them for their best price on the intercooler hoses. You'll probably get them for under $500. Tell them you want the RL discount. I'm sure most have bought them, and if they have some sitting, they'll wanna sell em. Get some good t-bolt clamps, and they'll last the life of your car.
Old 01-14-2016, 11:47 PM
Campy
Instructor

Originally Posted by OverBoosted28
Just call "S-car-go, and ask them for their best price on the intercooler hoses. You'll probably get them for under $500. Tell them you want the RL discount. I'm sure most have bought them, and if they have some sitting, they'll wanna sell em. Get some good t-bolt clamps, and they'll last the life of your car.
Sounds like a plan OB28 … I will report back my findings on inventory and updated costs … looks like you guys got em for $500 back then. So you like the T bolt clamps better than the breeze (constant torque) clamps? Might you have a link to your source for these handy ?
Old 01-15-2016, 12:17 AM
OverBoosted28
Rennlist Member

Any clamp that is a high torque clamp, breeze, t-bolt, etc...
Old 01-15-2016, 01:08 AM
Johnny_law
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My car is still sporting the original boost hoses even though I did purchase a set of Factory hoses as spares. The smaller boost hoses had to be replaced because they began deteriorating at the ends and one popped off.

I have removed the large boost hoses and it can be done without removing any brackets. I ended up putting the original ones back in and used Breeze clamps and haven't had a problem since. It's only been a couple of years which for me is about 4K miles and they are still just fine. My car hasn't seen the track under my ownership so stock boost hoses are fine IMO. If you already bought them I think it is silly to get the S-Car-Go hoses. Note the passenger side is very tight with the plug wire, the tin and the small tight area for the clamp. Using the thicker stronger aftermarket hoses can make the installation more difficult and some even resorted to cutting the tin, which I could never do to my car.

My car has 20K miles on original hoses. If I get 20K more on a new set of OEM hoses that's about 10 years before I need to do it again.

Now if you track your car, then the upgrade will be beneficial.

Basal Skull and OverBoosted28 track their cars and the upgrade is a must under those conditions but for occasional spirited driving, stay with what you have already purchased is my opinion.

Johnny
Old 01-15-2016, 02:22 AM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

^ I think Johnny is right. Although I have had the hoses come off on the street and it is a pain putting them back on if it comes off on the turbo end (thus having to put them back on with a flashlight at night on the side of the road...) but I was running higher boost and aftermarket blow off valves which I think can cause the hoses to blow off if too high a spring rate in the valve is used.
Old 01-15-2016, 09:49 AM
Campy
Instructor

Thanks again Gents for all your thoughts and opinions … as many have previously said what a great community!

Also want to take the time to give Kevin a big shout out as he is definitely the 'Turbo Jedi'

Jeff
Old 01-15-2016, 11:20 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,369 Likes on 793 Posts

A flexible 1/4 ratchet extension is great for getting to that hose clamp in there. Its tight, no doubt.
Old 01-17-2016, 05:09 PM
nrubenstein
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
A flexible 1/4 ratchet extension is great for getting to that hose clamp in there. Its tight, no doubt.
Ball end sockets help a lot, too.
Old 01-29-2016, 05:35 PM
Campy
Instructor

Gents, thought I would update you on my progress. I decided just to stick with the OEM hoses this time since I had just purchased them. I did order up some 'Breeze' constant torque clamps … CT 250's for the turbo end and CT 300's for the intercooler end. I have attached a picture showing the difference in size vs. the OEM clamps. Frankly when I first saw the Breeze clamps I thought there is NO WAY these are going to fit but after much maneuvering, busted knuckles/fingers and a few choice words I was able to get them on. I also attached a picture of the pass side view of the turbo end with these mounted up … with the muffler bracket you can really see how tight the working space was.
I did remove the mufflers on each side as there just was not enough room without doing so.

Next I wanted to again acknowledge with a big 'THANK YOU' to Kevin at Ultimate Autowerks for all his help/coaching and support in answering my 'rookie' questions … Also Nick/Nurburger and Joe/Ridin Dirty and the rest of the renny community for their helpful support.

Lastly, this can be done by the average mechanically inclined person as I'm leaving proof … I cringe to think of what all this would have run at my local indy and/or dealership … so giddy up guys and don't be afraid to tackle this yourselves!

P.S. If anyone needs help or would like to ask any additional questions please let me know … I feel obligated to return what I have learned to someone else in need!

Jeff

Quick Reply: muffler mounting bracket removal