Notices
993 Turbo Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WHY does the 4wd make the steering so numb?

Old 01-24-2016, 08:57 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by lowflying
4wd= Understeer.
That is not absolute - it depends on spring rates, roll bars, alignment geometry, tires (size and brand), etc. BTW, these cars are not 4wd, they are awd with varying power distributed front and back. I do agree, factory stock does push, but so do many of porsche's cars, likely considered safer. 😄
Old 02-03-2016, 03:37 PM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

^you really have to be driving pretty fast in a 993 turbo to experience understeer, if you can experience it at all (I don't think I have). You need to be driving/cornering fast enough that the front tires need to split the available traction between slowing down and turning, which is hard to do in these cars. I've never had a situation where my car wouldn't turn in and applying the brakes made it worse (have done it in other cars though)...
Old 02-03-2016, 04:42 PM
OverBoosted28
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Basal Skull
^you really have to be driving pretty fast in a 993 turbo to experience understeer, if you can experience it at all (I don't think I have). You need to be driving/cornering fast enough that the front tires need to split the available traction between slowing down and turning, which is hard to do in these cars. I've never had a situation where my car wouldn't turn in and applying the brakes made it worse (have done it in other cars though)...
Maybe he's confusing "understeer" with FWD "torque steer". Our cars really don't have as much front bias, to induce it.
Like you, maybe a little push, but you really need to be in it, to bring it on.
Old 02-05-2016, 03:11 AM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Well re reading my post above, I have it wrong. In AWD cars (more for fwd), you are splitting the available friction in the front tire between the driving action and turning, so you should experience understeer if you are accelerating while cornering. Which again is kind of hard to do, as mentioned above, our cars don't have much front bias, and if anything still tend to oversteer with the rear stepping out when accelerating out of a corner.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: WHY does the 4wd make the steering so numb?