Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Feedback on clutch

Old 12-06-2015, 09:06 PM
JHR55
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Feedback on clutch

Had the tt for 5 years now. When I bought it it came with ruf eks transmission. Couple years ago the ruf system failed. Converted to non power assist manual transmission. Nowadays my knee getting weaker. Pain after Long couple hours drive especially in heavy traffic.

Thinking of reverting to power assist clutch transmission. How light is the clutch with power assist? Worth the conversion. Porsche dealer gave an insane quote
Old 12-06-2015, 09:37 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

Lighter than the na cars - almost like a honda civic. Less feel though.

Some of us are using the MPL slave - a bit less throw but about 30% less effort according to them.

If the power steering pump is a TT one, and your lplumbing is still in place, putting back the original system should be a snap.

Did they change the assist spring in the pedal cluster then they went manual?

Cheers

Mike
Old 12-06-2015, 09:44 PM
ctsang103
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

That's a difficult comparison to make, but I'd say it's slightly lighter than my 2004 Acura TL clutch.

If i had to quantify it, it's maybe 4 out of 10 on clutch firmness. Firmest clutch I've driven was a 1985 bmw 3 series.
Old 12-07-2015, 07:13 PM
DiegoR
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ctsang103
That's a difficult comparison to make, but I'd say it's slightly lighter than my 2004 Acura TL clutch.

If i had to quantify it, it's maybe 4 out of 10 on clutch firmness. Firmest clutch I've driven was a 1985 bmw 3 series.
I would say the firmest clutch I have driven was a Subaru STi Spec C RA (hawkeye) and was stiff from factory, almost like a stock 993tt clutch with engine off I could say.

Anyways, when you start the 993tt the pedal get well soft compared to when it's off, pretty much like day and night difference, so I say it's worth get it back.
Old 12-07-2015, 10:40 PM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by DiegoR
I would say the firmest clutch I have driven was a Subaru STi Spec C RA (hawkeye) and was stiff from factory, almost like a stock 993tt clutch with engine off I could say.

Anyways, when you start the 993tt the pedal get well soft compared to when it's off, pretty much like day and night difference, so I say it's worth get it back.
Diego, if your clutch is stiff with the engine off, you need a new accumulator...!
Old 12-08-2015, 09:24 AM
JHR55
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for feedback. I am not sure what spring was used.
What's MPL slave?
Old 12-08-2015, 11:12 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Other things to consider and add on if you go back to a more stock set-up with the clutch mechanism:

1) LWFW conversion
2) Golden rod from FD Motorsports
3) SSK from FD Motorsports
Old 12-08-2015, 11:50 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by JHR55
Thanks for feedback. I am not sure what spring was used.
What's MPL slave?
Use the stock spring from the NA cars - its much stronger so it gives more assist.

MPL is a small producer of clutch slave cylinders based in Germany. They make a custom one with a bigger diameter piston which reduces the pedal effort by 30% - the problem is the stroke is also reduced so with new clutches its marginal. On my car it put the engagement point practically on the floor but the clutch was brand new.

http://www.mpl-tuningparts.de/english/ducati.html

They may not make the unit anymore, it's not on their site that I could find - but if interested email them.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 12-08-2015, 12:33 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Just to be clear to the OP, none of these options do anything for clutch pedal effort, but are very good options for shifting feel (golden rod and short shift kid) and better revving (lighter flywheel).

Typically the Light Weight Flywheel (RS) is accompanied with a stronger pressure plate, which can mean more pedal effort to use than the stock DMF setup.

Cheers,

Mike

Originally Posted by LexVan
Other things to consider and add on if you go back to a more stock set-up with the clutch mechanism:

1) LWFW conversion
2) Golden rod from FD Motorsports
3) SSK from FD Motorsports
Old 12-08-2015, 01:17 PM
OverBoosted28
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike J
Use the stock spring from the NA cars - its much stronger so it gives more assist.

MPL is a small producer of clutch slave cylinders based in Germany. They make a custom one with a bigger diameter piston which reduces the pedal effort by 30% - the problem is the stroke is also reduced so with new clutches its marginal. On my car it put the engagement point practically on the floor but the clutch was brand new.

http://www.mpl-tuningparts.de/english/ducati.html

They may not make the unit anymore, it's not on their site that I could find - but if interested email them.

Cheers

Mike

It's still there Mike
Name:  image.png
Views: 436
Size:  699.0 KB
Old 12-08-2015, 10:15 PM
Rick GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 71 Posts

I have a new MPL slave, never installed. If anyone interested pm.
Old 12-09-2015, 10:49 AM
DiegoR
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Basal Skull
Diego, if your clutch is stiff with the engine off, you need a new accumulator...!
You mean the sealed "bottle" down there? I see some fluid spread (little) on the fluid reservoir sometimes, I read this si caused by the pump issue or the like. $$$

To try to understand this correctly, this system acts like a vacuum brake booster? When engine is truned on, it create vacuum and assit the brake pump, when you shut it off, you still have some vacuum in the system so it might allow you to push effortless the pedal 1-2 or maybe 3 times, then it gets stiff because no more vacuum presence. I'm guessing the same theory should apply to our clutch system rather than vacuum, with hidraulic and the accumulator, so after engine is off, the clutch should be soft for about 2-3 pumped?
Old 12-09-2015, 09:07 PM
AC/911's
Banned

Received 94 Likes on 49 Posts
Default pm sent

Originally Posted by Rick 930
I have a new MPL slave, never installed. If anyone interested pm.
pm sent
Old 12-09-2015, 09:10 PM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

^ yup, with a good accumulator, you should be able to 'pump' the clutch quite a few times before it gets stiff. From memory ?10 x. (can't test mine as I've gone manual..)
Old 12-09-2015, 09:25 PM
DiegoR
Burning Brakes

Thanks! I will look for a quote of that accumulator.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Feedback on clutch