Notices
993 Turbo Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you track your 993 AWD turbo? Does it make good track car?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2015, 05:30 PM
Vince964T
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice one Overboosted, she really goes
Old 12-28-2015, 01:23 PM
The New 911
Pro

Originally Posted by Mark993TT
To be fair, I am glad there are people who track and mod their 993 turbo, makes for nice reading here and sometimes nice video footage on YouTube.
It's just a bummer now because of the valuation of the 993 TT's have really catapulted them into collector car territory. Thus now people that own the car's and are worried about the car's value won't drive them as much and will be far less willing to modify the car.
Old 12-28-2015, 02:21 PM
OverBoosted28
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by The New 911
It's just a bummer now because of the valuation of the 993 TT's have really catapulted them into collector car territory. Thus now people that own the car's and are worried about the car's value won't drive them as much and will be far less willing to modify the car.
Only those who see their cars as investments and assume they will sell one day for a profit. Those of us that will never sell (and don't see them as CDs) will still enjoy our cars. When I am no longer able to enjoy it, my son takes the reins.
Old 12-28-2015, 03:37 PM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 110 Likes on 56 Posts

Interesting thread. I own a 993tt. Only a weekend car. Kids and wife loves it. Also the Pcar my wife likes to drive. Bought my 4.0 to track and have fun with. Kind of the ultimate DE car at the time. Tracked it once. Couldn't get over the feeling that I drove something very special and pretty much impossible to replace. Spoiled a bit of the fun TBO.
Bought a 996gt3 with a lot of nice upgrades. So much more fun to drive a car that I know I can walk away from if anything happens. So
I'm a driver that turned into a collector but still loves to drive. Makes sense?
Old 12-28-2015, 05:27 PM
OverBoosted28
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 997rs4.0
Interesting thread. I own a 993tt. Only a weekend car. Kids and wife loves it. Also the Pcar my wife likes to drive. Bought my 4.0 to track and have fun with. Kind of the ultimate DE car at the time. Tracked it once. Couldn't get over the feeling that I drove something very special and pretty much impossible to replace. Spoiled a bit of the fun TBO.
Bought a 996gt3 with a lot of nice upgrades. So much more fun to drive a car that I know I can walk away from if anything happens. So
I'm a driver that turned into a collector but still loves to drive. Makes sense?
Make sense? Absolutely! I wish I had the ability to acquire another car that would be solely for the track, a "throw away". But I will never be in that position. Admire those who can "spare" their TTs and not risk the possibility of losing it. That's why I'll never be the fastest out there. Driving at 75-80%, leaving a little out there, so recovery is more of an option as opposed to wishful thinking. Still have fun, and don't care that others are 2,3 or even 10 seconds faster than I am.
My previous remark was not geared toward those who want to preserve their machines, more for those who want to speculate how much they'll get or ROI. Really hate when rich bastards gobble up the cars that should be driven, never drive them, sit on them and wait, all while keeping those very cars out of the hands of those who would drive them properly. And yes, I'll be honest. I wish I was comfortable enough to buy what I want. But if I could, it would be to drive, not tuck em away. If that was the case, I'd use the money to be surfing in Fiji for most of the year. :-)
Old 12-28-2015, 10:06 PM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 110 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by OverBoosted28
Make sense? Absolutely! I wish I had the ability to acquire another car that would be solely for the track, a "throw away". But I will never be in that position. Admire those who can "spare" their TTs and not risk the possibility of losing it. That's why I'll never be the fastest out there. Driving at 75-80%, leaving a little out there, so recovery is more of an option as opposed to wishful thinking. Still have fun, and don't care that others are 2,3 or even 10 seconds faster than I am. My previous remark was not geared toward those who want to preserve their machines, more for those who want to speculate how much they'll get or ROI. Really hate when rich bastards gobble up the cars that should be driven, never drive them, sit on them and wait, all while keeping those very cars out of the hands of those who would drive them properly. And yes, I'll be honest. I wish I was comfortable enough to buy what I want. But if I could, it would be to drive, not tuck em away. If that was the case, I'd use the money to be surfing in Fiji for most of the year. :-)
Agree^

The situation we see at the moment is completely new to me. I've been a Porsche enthusiast for 20 years and it's always been the drivers brand. A lot of Porsche on track.
As an example, almost every 996rs that was sold has spent a lot of time on racetracks. 997rs started of that way, but has obviously changed a lot since 2010.
I doubt we will see 991rs driven the same way. It's a new chapter.
Old 12-29-2015, 12:22 PM
The New 911
Pro

Originally Posted by OverBoosted28
Only those who see their cars as investments and assume they will sell one day for a profit. Those of us that will never sell (and don't see them as CDs) will still enjoy our cars. When I am no longer able to enjoy it, my son takes the reins.

Exactly well put. Either you're a Rowan Atkin's (Mr Bean) who has over 30K miles on his McLaren F1 and has wrecked it and had it put back together. Or you're like 90% of the Ferrari owner's out there who are scared to drive their Ferrari's because each car decreases it's value. If it's a new Ferrari who cares just drive the snot out of it. Now if it is a 250 LM on the other hand.

A 993 would be a great weekend car while the DD could be a 991TTS! If I could ever afford something like that.
Old 12-29-2015, 02:32 PM
ACEparts_com
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've said this before, and before that........

People, everyday buy cars (including Rowan Atkinson) new, fully expecting them to depreciate.

When they do the opposite it sends people crazy. From a fiscal point it would be wiser to sell your depreciating cars and keep and use the non depreciating ones!

Personally, I decided to 'write off' the full cost of my car at purchase. Anything I sell it for is pure profit (in my mind). Btw, I've promised it to my 10 year old son.

Use it or lose it!
Old 12-29-2015, 08:16 PM
ACEparts_com
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I will add. I'm not sure if I'd track it having just paid £100K for one.... Saying that, If I'd just got a 991 RS I'd definitely track that so yes, I guess that's the answer.
Old 12-29-2015, 08:58 PM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

^ +1 all the newer track orientated Porsches cost as much, so what's the big deal? I think I have more fun tracking the 993 turbo vs the newer cars. You only live once and I'm going to have as much fun as I can with this car. I certainly have more fun tinkering - which I wouldn't be able to do on the newer cars. Just finished changing oil/filters/trans oil. Going to lube the clutch fork as it's making some noise sometime this week. Things to do before track season: Re-do the corner weight/check the nitrogen pressures in the shocks and alignment with the recent exhaust weight loss. Also need to get new plagid yellows and flush/replace the brake fluid. I'm sure I'll find other things to do!
Old 01-01-2016, 04:11 PM
Vince964T
Racer

I bought a 7 GT2 recently. This one is going to the track as well.
If you can afford it I strongly recommend 2 track cars especially if one is "vintage". Always 1 working and ready to go

Quick Reply: Do you track your 993 AWD turbo? Does it make good track car?