Leaking Power Steering Lines - SAVING TIP$

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2015, 11:57 AM
uicnick
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Leaking Power Steering Lines - SAVING TIP$

Guys,

I just wanted to let you know about some recent power steering leak woes I've had to deal with. The lines for clutch pressure pipe and the power steering pressure line coming off the pump were both sweating for a while and finally I noticed that there was fluid dripping down to the ground. You can tell it's power steering fluid because it dries really sticky/tacky on the exhaust manifolds and last year I took care of my valve cover gaskets. I followed Overboosted's post on replacing these lines and because I replaced my tires this year and spent quite a bit of maintenance already, I was trying to save some additional money by having the lines rebuilt at a industrial hydraulic hose repair/supply shop near my office, Chris Geib helped me out. The lines at sunset were about $500, which isn't a lot for most but it's a lot to me these days. Additionally, I discovered that the power steering reservoir was leaking near the quick disconnect/push loc lines (those little red bands that you see) Further inspection revealed that there is o-rings mounted behind those little red push loc clips after pulling them out, but there is no part number available to replace these. There is only available as an entire reservoir, again $200 at Sunset.

I decided to pull these out and replace them with Viton o-rings. The originals look like a combination of viton (the green ones) and Buna N type rubber (shiny black) Looking at the MSDS for Pentosin 202, we can see that the flash point is around 275 F. Also some internet research on zf.com reveals that modern automotive ZF power steering pumps can peak at 2000 psi pressure. Given these operating limits as guidelines I had Eaton AeroQuip MatchMate hoses and fittings custom welded and installed on my original lines for $200. These hoses are good for those 5000 psi and 400F temperature fluid The orientation of the fittings is not critical because the fittings they rotate 360 degrees until you torque them down. Regardless, I marked the orientation before removing them to aid with re-installation. Next I replaced the o-rings again with Viton which is compatible with high temperature and synthetic mineral oil I think up to 400F. I measure them out as best I could and ordered some from McMaster, however they have a minimum order so I bought 25 of each. I lubed the hoses and o-rings with Pentosin and pushed the lines back until they bottom out at the ridged portion. So far so good. I noticed that the tubes would easily slide out with the previous o-rings and now the connection was much more snug. If anyone wants a set of o-rings I can mail them to you for $5 or so in the US, that would allow me to break even on the costs. I had to buy a minimum quantity so I have enough for 12 more people. See some of the photos below.

In the end, the blue hoses bothered me so I wrapped them with silicone tape and now they look OEM. In retrospect, if I were to do it again, Eaton has power steering type hose that looks more OEM, it's black but I just went with whatever my supplier had. It would probably save money as well instead of going overboard but I thought better to play it safe. Anyway, sorry i didn't take picture of the hoses before hand but you can see the way they look now. One word of caution, make sure when you connect everything back up the hoses don't rub. It would help to take pictures of the lines before taking everything apart if you don't have a good memory but overall, a simple but messy DIY. One last thing, be very careful putting those red pushloc fittings back, I broke one tab on mine but if you break more than one, you're screwed and have to buy a new reservoir. You just have to be careful and make sure the tabs and all set to go back in the hole.
Attached Images      

Last edited by uicnick; 08-28-2015 at 04:19 PM.
Old 08-28-2015, 02:49 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

Nice job! I had the line going to the clutch assist start to leak earlier this year - and while i replaced it with a stock hose, this solution seems to be a better approach!

Cheers,

Mike
Old 12-30-2018, 12:28 PM
Bertman
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default O Rings for High Pressure Pump

Hello + Happy New Year,

Thank you for your post! Having the same problem on my high pressure (larger) line leaking on my 2008 Turbo 997.1. Do you still have those O-Rings?

I replaced the line, what project had to pull the engine and suspension! Also pulled out that red connector and see the 2 O-Rings, 1 green + 1 black that I want to replace as you did.

Thank you for any help you can give me purchasing the proper rings.

Al Penta
Old 12-31-2018, 12:24 AM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

That darn hydraulic line! After going through 2 of them and having had my car stranded at a track 3 1/2 hour drive away in a different country for a week waiting for the line to be shipped from Germany, I did the ultimate (IMHO) fix. 964 RS manual rack (rare as hen's teeth) and MPL manual clutch slave with NA clutch pedal spring - many years ago...

wait a sec 2008 997.1 turbo has same line/reservoir?
Old 12-31-2018, 11:56 AM
OverBoosted28
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I’m glad I was able to help someone. I wish I would have taken my lines down, and had them rebuilt. Would’ve been stronger, at a savings. Ryojo, would ya have any insight, on how the 997 electric power steering pump, compares to your RS set up, in a 993tt? :-)
Old 12-31-2018, 10:29 PM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by OverBoosted28
Ryojo, would ya have any insight, on how the 997 electric power steering pump, compares to your RS set up, in a 993tt? :-)
Happy holidays/new year Richard!

Not much insight apart from it's supposed to be pretty easy to set up an electric pump in the frunk, per local race team mechanic. I really like the feel of the manual. I admit though, that I did develop a tennis type elbow problem in my left arm last year muscling the turbo with 19" wheels on the track. I know exactly what corner (15 at the ridge, a tight 270 degree sweeper) and how I was holding the steering wheel that caused it... trying to avoid that motion from now on

Old 12-10-2019, 06:00 AM
Benny Chuah
1st Gear

Hi,
do you still have clip for the power steering.

QUOTE=uicnick;12545440]Guys,

I just wanted to let you know about some recent power steering leak woes I've had to deal with. The lines for clutch pressure pipe and the power steering pressure line coming off the pump were both sweating for a while and finally I noticed that there was fluid dripping down to the ground. You can tell it's power steering fluid because it dries really sticky/tacky on the exhaust manifolds and last year I took care of my valve cover gaskets. I followed Overboosted's post on replacing these lines and because I replaced my tires this year and spent quite a bit of maintenance already, I was trying to save some additional money by having the lines rebuilt at a industrial hydraulic hose repair/supply shop near my office, Chris Geib helped me out. The lines at sunset were about $500, which isn't a lot for most but it's a lot to me these days. Additionally, I discovered that the power steering reservoir was leaking near the quick disconnect/push loc lines (those little red bands that you see) Further inspection revealed that there is o-rings mounted behind those little red push loc clips after pulling them out, but there is no part number available to replace these. There is only available as an entire reservoir, again $200 at Sunset.

I decided to pull these out and replace them with Viton o-rings. The originals look like a combination of viton (the green ones) and Buna N type rubber (shiny black) Looking at the MSDS for Pentosin 202, we can see that the flash point is around 275 F. Also some internet research on zf.com reveals that modern automotive ZF power steering pumps can peak at 2000 psi pressure. Given these operating limits as guidelines I had Eaton AeroQuip MatchMate hoses and fittings custom welded and installed on my original lines for $200. These hoses are good for those 5000 psi and 400F temperature fluid The orientation of the fittings is not critical because the fittings they rotate 360 degrees until you torque them down. Regardless, I marked the orientation before removing them to aid with re-installation. Next I replaced the o-rings again with Viton which is compatible with high temperature and synthetic mineral oil I think up to 400F. I measure them out as best I could and ordered some from McMaster, however they have a minimum order so I bought 25 of each. I lubed the hoses and o-rings with Pentosin and pushed the lines back until they bottom out at the ridged portion. So far so good. I noticed that the tubes would easily slide out with the previous o-rings and now the connection was much more snug. If anyone wants a set of o-rings I can mail them to you for $5 or so in the US, that would allow me to break even on the costs. I had to buy a minimum quantity so I have enough for 12 more people. See some of the photos below.

In the end, the blue hoses bothered me so I wrapped them with silicone tape and now they look OEM. In retrospect, if I were to do it again, Eaton has power steering type hose that looks more OEM, it's black but I just went with whatever my supplier had. It would probably save money as well instead of going overboard but I thought better to play it safe. Anyway, sorry i didn't take picture of the hoses before hand but you can see the way they look now. One word of caution, make sure when you connect everything back up the hoses don't rub. It would help to take pictures of the lines before taking everything apart if you don't have a good memory but overall, a simple but messy DIY. One last thing, be very careful putting those red pushloc fittings back, I broke one tab on mine but if you break more than one, you're screwed and have to buy a new reservoir. You just have to be careful and make sure the tabs and all set to go back in the hole.[/QUOTE]
Old 12-27-2019, 11:51 AM
uicnick
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Benny, unfortunately this clip is not available separately, you have to buy the whole reservoir. Maybe give LA dismantler a try...
Old 01-02-2020, 05:10 PM
tacker
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I removed all the power steering crap and went with an MR2 electric pump in the frunk. Works great and feels like a manual over 20 MPH or so. I'll dig up some Pics
Old 01-03-2020, 11:31 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by tacker
I removed all the power steering crap and went with an MR2 electric pump in the frunk. Works great and feels like a manual over 20 MPH or so. I'll dig up some Pics
Yes, please do - that sounds interesting., Does that pump run only when needed or ? What is the current draw?

Cheers,

Mike
Old 01-20-2020, 04:13 PM
tacker
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

made a angled bracket and used factory holes

power distribution panel for PS pump and fuel pumps

one high pressure line and return to steering rack

still can use the spare tire if needed

Tech info
https://www.diyelectriccar.com/forum...hps-19505.html
Old 03-15-2024, 04:15 PM
woodgeek
Track Day

Originally Posted by uicnick
I decided to pull these out and replace them with Viton o-rings. The originals look like a combination of viton (the green ones) and Buna N type rubber (shiny black) Looking at the MSDS for Pentosin 202, we can see that the flash point is around 275 F. Also some internet research on zf.com reveals that modern automotive ZF power steering pumps can peak at 2000 psi pressure. Given these operating limits as guidelines I had Eaton AeroQuip MatchMate hoses and fittings custom welded and installed on my original lines for $200. These hoses are good for those 5000 psi and 400F temperature fluid The orientation of the fittings is not critical because the fittings they rotate 360 degrees until you torque them down. Regardless, I marked the orientation before removing them to aid with re-installation. Next I replaced the o-rings again with Viton which is compatible with high temperature and synthetic mineral oil I think up to 400F. I measure them out as best I could and ordered some from McMaster, however they have a minimum order so I bought 25 of each.
Does anyone happen to know that sizes of the green and black o-rings? I need to order some for a similar project.

Quick Reply: Leaking Power Steering Lines - SAVING TIP$