Sponsored by:

Engine decklid strut replacement

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2015, 08:23 PM
96PorscheTwinTurbo
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Engine decklid strut replacement

Just purchased replacement struts from sunset. Did a search looking for a how-to or comments on difficulty on doing this. Didn't see anything but I know there must be something. Can anyone help? Thanks

steve
Old 06-04-2015, 11:33 PM
OverBoosted28
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Had to find the pic of when I did the PS line. Pretty simple. Just have to take crap out so you can access it. Of coarse the intercooler, then the Air box, MAF on pass side and blower motor and ducts on driver side. 2 clips on each end of each strut. Just DO NOT DROP ANYTHING!
Attached Images  
Old 06-05-2015, 12:32 AM
Johnny_law
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Engine decklid strut replacement

It is possible to replace the driver side without removing the blower as I didn't want to tackle that at the time as it was my first change to the car when I got it. I have since discovered that removing the blower is as easy or easier than removing the air box.

The clips are easy to drop so it is a good idea to line the area below the hinge in case it falls out. Otherwise it's a pretty easy fix.

Good luck, the results are awesome.
Old 06-05-2015, 02:16 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

Yah, I usually use a large cloth below the end of the strut in case you end up slipping and dropping a pin or clip. Remember how the shock was oriented before you take them out, or do one at a time (better).

Cheers,

Mike
Old 06-05-2015, 08:50 AM
rlme36
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts

I got the tip from somewhere on here to use fishing line on the clips either for reinstall or removal. if you can thread the line through and give enough length even if it goes flying you still have it. I also did the towel beneath deal. I think this was one of the first DIY's I did on the car besides oil change. the Frunk ones are worse. =-)
Old 06-05-2015, 10:58 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,444 Likes on 836 Posts

I found the frunk ones to be super easy, while these are a total pain in the ***.
Old 06-05-2015, 11:58 AM
Bradford
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

I replaced both at the same time. If I had to do it again I would have only replaced one of them as the force of the new shocks is really strong. I have to hold the tail down as I pull the release handle or it will fly up.
Old 06-06-2015, 10:28 AM
96PorscheTwinTurbo
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Bradford
I replaced both at the same time. If I had to do it again I would have only replaced one of them as the force of the new shocks is really strong. I have to hold the tail down as I pull the release handle or it will fly up.
This is a great help guys. Maybe if I put all the comments together the way I go is to replace the drivers side (easiest) and leave it at that given the strength of the new ones? I've heard they can really slam the lid open because of their strength.

Make sense?
Old 06-06-2015, 01:59 PM
Johnny_law
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not a bad way to approach it. Less work with functionality. Mine does pop up well, but it sticks in the latch when I pull the release. So I have to give it a bit of a lift for it to go up. When it does it does it with gusto.

I always thought it was the rubber guides on the left and the right that rub against rub strips on either side. I don't think they are adjustable so it might be the alignment of my lid that is causing it. I like it that way so I haven't investigated any further.

Good luck, just take it slowly and don't do it on a day you keep dropping your keys.
Old 06-06-2015, 02:08 PM
OverBoosted28
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Johnny, get rid of the grinch face. It's no longer running outdated suspension :-)
It's just got better athletic legs now.
Old 06-06-2015, 05:43 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

Make sure you have the correct shocks - the cab shock are stronger and will make the deck lid fly up - and that is an issue long term banging away at the hinge stops ...

Quick Reply: Engine decklid strut replacement