Sponsored by:

Getting my new 993TT smogged...

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2014, 01:46 PM
dlee888
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Getting my new 993TT smogged...

I know this topic has been discussed many times and have done some homework on previouse threads... but I'm still not 100% sure. My car is getting dropped off next week and will have to get it vin verified and smogged (In California). The previous owner had the catalytic coverters removed...

I've heard that as long as the "readiness codes" are set, the car should pass with flying colors. On the other hand, some people say no catz = fail.

Any advice? Thanks in advance!
Old 10-01-2014, 02:00 PM
AiRick
Pro

Received 35 Likes on 13 Posts

California + No Cats = Red Flag I'm no expert... don't live there anymore but I don't think it would pass. Any chance of putting them back on for the test, a yearly problem ? Good luck
Old 10-01-2014, 02:07 PM
Boober
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No cats present will certainly fail the visual examination unless you're taking to a buddy's shop and he is willing to look the other way. I'm not up on Cali emissions regs but I'm obviously aware that they are the most stringent in the country. Will the car be smog'd or just checked for readiness codes?
It honestly depends on the tolerance level of NOx and CO for the given vehicle. Even if your car is running right at stoich for the fuel octane, the emissions might exceed the upper limits for your engine, thus failing the smog test.
In my own case, PA has nearly as strict emissions standards as CA but since my car is register classic, I don't have to pass emissions. I still have Fabspeed 200 cell cats though.
Old 10-01-2014, 03:31 PM
Slate993tt
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I doubt it'll pass the sniffer w/o the cats. Find a place that will test it w/o it hooked up to the DMV database just to see the readings. Tell them you just bought the car and you want to check its Cleanliness. Don't say anything about the cats. Play dumb and just say you are curious about the readings as you want to check the health of the motor.

If it's numbers are good then you could ask them for a real smog. At that point the tech may not even look for the cats. Besides they aren't that easy to see on our cars anyway/most people may even thing the heater box around the pipes could be a cat. I think you know where I am going with this.
Old 10-01-2014, 06:05 PM
dlee888
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the responses and advcice! ;-) Greatly appreciate it...
Old 10-01-2014, 07:29 PM
doublecabmel
Three Wheelin'

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Have the smog place check the computer first before they do the actual test. Don't want to start ruining the almighty carfax, or better a few red flags to the wonderful people at the DMV
Old 10-01-2014, 07:59 PM
Bradford
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

Do as Chad recommends. The genius that I bought my car from ran to the smog station after having the engine built to 3.8 without measuring the tailpipe emissions first. My cars carfax will forever have the "gross polluter" label on it from 2005

Last edited by Bradford; 10-02-2014 at 05:56 PM.
Old 10-01-2014, 11:38 PM
OverBoosted28
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Slate993tt
I doubt it'll pass the sniffer w/o the cats. Find a place that will test it w/o it hooked up to the DMV database just to see the readings. Tell them you just bought the car and you want to check its Cleanliness. Don't say anything about the cats. Play dumb and just say you are curious about the readings as you want to check the health of the motor.

If it's numbers are good then you could ask them for a real smog. At that point the tech may not even look for the cats. Besides they aren't that easy to see on our cars anyway/most people may even thing the heater box around the pipes could be a cat. I think you know where I am going with this.
Originally Posted by Bradford
Do as Chad recommends. The genius that I bought my car from ran to the smog station after having the engine built to 3.8 without measuring the tailpipe first. My cars carfax will forever have the "gross polluter" label on it from 2005
And by no means what so ever, let them put it on rollers! Make sure they're aware of AWD and that it will ruin car if they do. Tell them you want the test or inquiry as a "pre-purchase" investigation. This state has the worst smog laws. These laws are not doing much to actually help any environmental issues. Our cars (that are not driven as often) should be exempt. Say 5000 miles annually max and you're exempt. Just look at all of the lawfully licensed drivers that (CA DMV puts on the road) which have absolutely no clue what they are doing. Tells you how well that agency is run and what they really produce.😜😜😜. Sorry, you had to ask and got me started.
Old 10-02-2014, 03:27 PM
ScottMellor
Drifting

Originally Posted by Bradford View Post
Do as Chad recommends. The genius that I bought my car from ran to the smog station after having the engine built to 3.8 without measuring the tailpipe first. My cars carfax will forever have the "gross polluter" label on it from 2005
Must....resist....can't....fight....it....

Scott, my old car Frank was a gross polluter: Your car is the reason there are no mosquitoes in Westlake Village and no live birdies on your street.
Old 10-02-2014, 06:05 PM
Bradford
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by ScottMellor
Must....resist....can't....fight....it....

Scott, my old car Frank was a gross polluter: Your car is the reason there are no mosquitoes in Westlake Village and no live birdies on your street.
Dang, I knew you'd be lurking around here. I'll take responsibility for the mosquitos, but the birds are on you.

Are you allowed to tell us what has become of your Andial? Still in the area? Hope you're well
Old 10-02-2014, 07:27 PM
ScottMellor
Drifting

Guapo went to New York and is living at the palatial Monticello Motorsports park along with his old amigo Blackie.
Old 10-03-2014, 12:00 AM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Do you guys know you both live in Westlake Village? about 4 blocks apart?
Old 10-03-2014, 08:45 PM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Frank was the fvd car?
Andial's pass emissions with no problems !
Old 10-06-2014, 02:46 PM
ScottMellor
Drifting

Yes the Andial passed smog with no major problem.
Frank had cat bypasses = big problem.
Old 10-06-2014, 07:43 PM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

Received 301 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by Slate993tt

Now this sounds like a great idea for some cat-free friends. Thx.

Quick Reply: Getting my new 993TT smogged...