Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   993 Turbo Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/993-turbo-forum-62/)
-   -   Left Tail Pipe Smoking (https://rennlist.com/forums/993-turbo-forum/817839-left-tail-pipe-smoking.html)

jcoles 05-31-2014 08:40 PM

Left Tail Pipe Smoking

I had my oil changed two weeds ago and have only driven it a few miles since. I just started it up and the left tail pipe was smoking a lot. Got a little better as the car warmed up but I shut it off after 5 minutes. Any ideas? Thank you.

LexVan 05-31-2014 08:43 PM

Oil overfilled? OE Porsche brand oil filters? What oil and viscosity?

jcoles 05-31-2014 08:44 PM

15/50 Mobile One.

LexVan 05-31-2014 08:46 PM

Oil is probably overfilled. Or wrong filters. Or over torqued. Or a combination. Read the "sticky" up top.

jcoles 05-31-2014 08:48 PM

Thanks...does any of the above cause much damage if caught quickly?

PiB993 05-31-2014 09:29 PM

Is there any significance to it smoking on the left side? Just curious. My car smoked from the left side (at times badly) when I had the wrong oil in it and possible overfill.

LexVan 05-31-2014 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by jcoles (Post 11407924)
Thanks...does any of the above cause much damage if caught quickly?

Shouldn't with the proper correction in a timely manner. And proper cleanup.

LexVan 05-31-2014 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by PiB993 (Post 11408000)
Is there any significance to it smoking on the left side? Just curious. My car smoked from the left side (at times badly) when I had the wrong oil in it and possible overfill.

Well, as you know the exhaust chris crosses.

This was covered once, but I don't recall the specifics. Something about one side being inheritley lower.

bbs993tt 06-01-2014 12:10 AM

Overfill seems likeliest, but could be a leaky valve cover gasket too.

ca993twin 06-01-2014 12:28 AM

I'm guessing Mahle oil filter. They will almost always cause this issue, and Mahle still claims they work for the 993TT. Its really hard to convince independents that ONLY a Porsche brand oil filter works.

ca993twin 06-01-2014 12:33 AM

jcoles,
Your car looks really nice. I can see Ruf bumpers and aftermarket wheels. What color is it? What else is done to your car? I'm sorry to take this off your topic, but I'm curious.

LexVan 06-01-2014 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by jcoles (Post 11407918)
15/50 Mobile One.

Not bad. Next time elect Mobil V-Twin 20W50.

badabing 06-01-2014 10:28 AM

I had 2 smoking problems.

First one was from passenger side (LHD) tailpipe. Mahle filter was the culprit.

Second time was due to overfill I believe. Driver side tailpipe.

I posted freak out threads at the times of the incidents you can refer to.

In the first instance, the intercooler was removed and all the oil in it and the plumbing was cleaned up as good as possible. Replaced filters with OEM, reassembled and after several drives any remaining oil was burned off and no more smoking.

Second instance was a little more invasive partially because the smoking persisted after some corrective action and based on research on here and other advice I thought I had a bad turbo.

In addition I was doing valve cover gaskets, plugs, wires, and a bunch of other stuff so alot more got taken apart. Thoroughly cleaned intercooler, hoses, intake manifold, turbo plumbing etc.

Smoking persisted but the smoke only began emanating from the tailpipe after the engine was running for a few mins or right after boosting.

Determined that it was the muffler which had gotten oil soaked from the overfill incident and every time it got hot the oil would burn and smoke.

Replaced muffler and now smoke free.

DiegoR 06-03-2014 11:58 AM

I had a thread here not long ago about this issue as well. I changed from 10w-60 to V Twin 20w-50 using OEM oil filters (Porsche) and recently rebuilded turbos. I didn't know if the smoking was caused by bad rebuild of the turbo (was smoking left tail pipe which is passenger or RH turbo side) and later I found the driver or LH turbocharger the INLET was full of oil but exhaust was dry. Lucky enough my IC was dry almost (didn't get the oil in the IC/intake of the engine).

Culrpit at the end, was the overfill. I think I had like 1/4 of oil extra but now is perfect and no more oil/smoke.

For the CAT bit covered of oil I cleaned it and the muffler took more time to cure since it has some fiberglass inside I believe. Now all is dry and perfect.

bbs993tt 06-03-2014 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by ca993twin (Post 11408259)
jcoles,
Your car looks really nice. I can see Ruf bumpers and aftermarket wheels. What color is it? What else is done to your car? I'm sorry to take this off your topic, but I'm curious.

Glad you asked because I was wondering the same. Looks like Slate to me. Beautiful.