Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   993 Turbo Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/993-turbo-forum-62/)
-   -   Left Tail Pipe Smoking (https://rennlist.com/forums/993-turbo-forum/817839-left-tail-pipe-smoking.html)

DiegoR 01-24-2016 01:09 PM

Left Tail Pipe Smoking

I torqued my oem filters to my "hand torque capability"...the oil in the turbo intake tract was reduced a lot, but still with some time w/o starting the engine 1.5/2 months (of inactivity) it still drip oil in the compressor side of the turbos, not the exhaust anymore (thank god)....also I had at some point overfilled of oil and that also cause this problem but is worse to have the engine overfilled of oil rather than over torqued the oem filters in my experiencie, so watch out the oul level carefully specially at hot levels where it does expand.

I just installed my TurboKraft oil feed lines...I will report later how it tuned out, if fixed this issue, partially or not at all. Otherwise I will put custom return lines with check valves to the scavenage pump.

Here are some pics. Also, you can see some thin coat of oil bath in the intake tube for the turbo.

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...0d7fe8c77d.jpg

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...89787d9eb8.jpg

OverBoosted28 01-24-2016 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by DiegoR (Post 12954226)
I torqued my oem filters to my "hand torque capability"...the oil in the turbo intake tract was reduced a lot, but still with some time w/o starting the engine 1.5/2 months (of inactivity) it still drip oil in the compressor side of the turbos, not the exhaust anymore (thank god)....also I had at some point overfilled of oil and that also cause this problem but is worse to have the engine overfilled of oil rather than over torqued the oem filters in my experiencie, so watch out the oul level carefully specially at hot levels where it does expand.

I just installed my TurboKraft oil feed lines...I will report later how it tuned out, if fixed this issue, partially or not at all. Otherwise I will put custom return lines with check valves to the scavenage pump.

Diego, the return lines won't need any check valves. Just have to have an "anti-siphon" trap in them. Either the hard (RUF type) lines with an upside down trap in them, or the flexible/braided lines with loops in them.

PiB993 01-24-2016 02:26 PM

I left out perhaps the most important part. We also replaced the small oil filter despite being brand new. Making sure it was not the problem.

DiegoR 01-24-2016 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by OverBoosted28 (Post 12954262)
Diego, the return lines won't need any check valves. Just have to have an "anti-siphon" trap in them. Either the hard (RUF type) lines with an upside down trap in them, or the flexible/braided lines with loops in them.

Yes, I have seen some modded or custom return lines with the loop you mention, should be enough, but some add a check valve there. If my check valve at the oil feed of the turbo doesn't work, I will go this "loop" route and see what happens.

Thanks for the suggestion :thumbsup:

OverBoosted28 01-24-2016 06:53 PM

Not sure if the complete system, is a constant loop on oil pressure. I think the return lines are more gravity/residual pressure, fed. Who makes the return lines with check valves?
Aloha
Richard

LexVan 01-24-2016 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by OverBoosted28 (Post 12955056)
Who makes the return lines with check valves? Aloha Richard

UMW. Ultimate Motor Works. Rennlister Kevin is the owner. Good guy.

OverBoosted28 01-24-2016 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by LexVan (Post 12955063)
UMW. Ultimate Motor Works. Rennlister Kevin is the owner. Good guy.

The "return" lines.

LexVan 01-24-2016 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by OverBoosted28 (Post 12955140)
The "return" lines.

Yeah. Pretty sure. Did you check his web site?

DiegoR 01-24-2016 09:42 PM

Left Tail Pipe Smoking

Turbokraft makes it. I believe Kevin does offer it too?

nrubenstein 01-26-2016 11:00 AM

Kevin makes the return lines as well as the check valve lines.

OverBoosted28 01-26-2016 12:50 PM

What I was getting at, is the return lines (usually) don't have any check valves, just an inverted "P" trap.

DRPM 01-28-2016 10:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I bought the oil return lines from RUF de.
Perfect product < 200.$

SSTAR 02-18-2016 03:41 PM

That's my Andial car. Is the motor still out?

Basal Skull 02-18-2016 10:42 PM

^ hey Stephen haven't seen you post for a bit - not sure which is your car?

SSTAR 02-20-2016 12:52 AM

Hey Basal. Still kicking around :). Confusion is what I get for posting a reply before finishing reading a thread. Responding to Pi's post midway through where he saw my car in Sunnyvale. Back to the original programming ...

Speaking of smoking exhaust and RMG, Bob made up a set of return lines for my 97. Cured a bad smoking problem. Already had check valves installed and for some reason it still smoked -- the bent return lines fixed my issue.