Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   993 Turbo Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/993-turbo-forum-62/)
-   -   Left Tail Pipe Smoking (https://rennlist.com/forums/993-turbo-forum/817839-left-tail-pipe-smoking.html)

jcoles 06-04-2014 01:05 AM

Thanks bbs99tt. It is slate with black interior. The bumpers are Ruf along with a steering wheel, shift knob and pedals. Engine is stock. I was told the rocker panels are Ruf but not positive about that.

I'm taking my car back to my mechanic tomorrow. I hope it's just overfill

Ridin Dirty 06-04-2014 08:39 AM

especially in Los Angeles... the v-twin 20/50 is perfect for you; your you could run it all year w/o a second thought. Plus it has the best cocktail of additives/more than government regulations allow i believe b/c its for bikes not cars.

Although on the other side of the coin it's been discussed here that catalytic converters don't like mobil v-twin one of these additives "apparently" can corrode them.... but I'm not worried the benefits to the engine outweigh the risks..... maybe if i were to put over 50k on it, maybe then.

bbs993tt 06-04-2014 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by jcoles (Post 11415772)
It is slate with black interior.

WINNER!!!!!!! Some additional pics when you have time would be greatly appreciated. Also, since I guessed the color right I get first dibs if you ever decide to sell.

Don't mean to keep hijacking your thread but do you know if your rocker panels are just installed "over" the stock ones?

jcoles 06-04-2014 09:54 PM

I just picked up the car. Oil level was too high. Thanks everyone for your input.

jcoles 06-04-2014 09:57 PM

No worries bbs993tt. I'm not sure but they do look like they are. I would prefer them to be off. What do you think?

Slate993tt 06-05-2014 09:44 AM

Slate is the best color after-all. ;-). I think you and I are the only 2 Slate cars on this forum...also funny we're both in SoCal as well.

Glad to hear the issue was a simple overflow.

PiB993 12-23-2015 07:41 PM

Another mechanic, another overfill. I've had no problems with smoking in 2 years or so? Got some work done with a new mechanic convenient to my location. Switched from my 20w-50 V-Twin to 15-50 because that's all they had. He wanted to put in 10w-40 but anyway I am digressing.

How should I read this oil dip stick? It is so difficult to read. Do you start from the very bottom to the top of the twist?

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...bf70c630fe.jpg

993Turbo Oil Indicator

Switching to 15w-50 shouldn't make it smoke should it? Again, majority of smoke was Left side only when cold. Car was doing great until I brought it to a new mech :banghead:

LexVan 12-23-2015 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by PiB993 (Post 12869124)
Another mechanic, another overfill. I've had no problems with smoking in 2 years or so? Got some work done with a new mechanic convenient to my location. Switched from my 20w-50 V-Twin to 15-50 because that's all they had. He wanted to put in 10w-40 but anyway I am digressing. How should I read this oil dip stick? It is so difficult to read. Do you start from the very bottom to the top of the twist? 993Turbo Oil Indicator Switching to 15w-50 shouldn't make it smoke should it? Again, majority of smoke was Left side only when cold. Car was doing great until I brought it to a new mech :banghead:

Did he use Porsche OE oil filters? Proper torques?

It's hard to tell form your picture, but, oil level appears OK.

We have seen on the 993 Forum that Mobil has recently and significantly changed 15W50. And not for the better. In fact, Steve Weiner will NO longer use nor recommend.

Go back to the V-Twin ASAP.

OverBoosted28 12-23-2015 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by PiB993 (Post 12869124)
Another mechanic, another overfill. I've had no problems with smoking in 2 years or so? Got some work done with a new mechanic convenient to my location. Switched from my 20w-50 V-Twin to 15-50 because that's all they had. He wanted to put in 10w-40 but anyway I am digressing.

How should I read this oil dip stick? It is so difficult to read. Do you start from the very bottom to the top of the twist?

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...bf70c630fe.jpg

993Turbo Oil Indicator

Switching to 15w-50 shouldn't make it smoke should it? Again, majority of smoke was Left side only when cold. Car was doing great until I brought it to a new mech :banghead:

The level should be between the lower beginning of the twist and the middle of the twist. Never above half way. 15W50 if your winter temps are pretty low. Otherwise get the V-twin back in there. Don't let any mechanic tell you what to put in your car, if it goes against what you know should be in it!
Also: I used a small jeweler file and made a couple of reference marks in the twist. Hope this helps. Take care

PiB993 12-23-2015 08:48 PM

Thanks guys. YES I had just read the reformulation thread too but really 15w-50 viscosity should be fine and the formulation should not make it smoke should it? Mid- 50's are the highs right now in San Francisco.

Mechanic claims and on the invoice indicates Porsche filters (I INSISTED). Even Steve Weiner indicates Mahl are okay (if not better perhaps) than Porsche filters for non-Turbo 993's.

All the more frustrating because my car lives in a small condo garage. While hot I removed 700mls of oil. Letting the car cool back down and will try again. With the holidays it will be awhile before I can put the v-twin back in.

Thanks again. Merry Christmas

UPDATE - Almost 6 hours later started with smoke out of the Left pipe again!

chsu74 12-25-2015 09:33 AM

I would guess the mechanic put whatever oil and filter he had around for your car then made out the invoice to what you wanted to see.

How would you know the difference unless you saw the empty part boxes and oil containers proving otherwise? That is why I do the oil changes myself.

PiB993 12-25-2015 10:09 AM

I'm will do an oil analysis and it will be easy to see if it's not 15w-50. I'm up against a smog deadline too. It's smog clean when it's warm/hot - no mods. I took it to a respected place in SF but I had to return for some other issues they didn't do right. RMG and FD Motorsports are the best but not this place.

Planned on a Christmas drive today but didn't want to smoke my neighbors out. Things could be worse. Merry Christmas.

nrubenstein 12-26-2015 11:45 AM

For what it is worth, after I had established that ours was no longer smoking from any part of the engine (bad turbo in our case), the oil soaked muffler and cat eventually cleared themselves. (Fortunately, in my case, I was able to establish this concretely by popping the cat off.) Once you have established that you have the right oil level and correct filters, it may just need the oil burned out of the exhaust.

OverBoosted28 12-26-2015 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by nrubenstein (Post 12874719)
For what it is worth, after I had established that ours was no longer smoking from any part of the engine (bad turbo in our case), the oil soaked muffler and cat eventually cleared themselves. (Fortunately, in my case, I was able to establish this concretely by popping the cat off.) Once you have established that you have the right oil level and correct filters, it may just need the oil burned out of the exhaust.

^^^^^^^^^^^ and this should entail loads of fun, to make short work of it.

PiB993 01-24-2016 12:27 PM

Ok now where was I? Ah, Sunnyvale. The oil level finally did look correct. It still smoked on start up. Tested the oil and it WAS in fact 15w-50 per Blackstone. Put 20w-50 V-Twin in and it stopped smoking. Right turbo showed some leakage but RMG said it didn't warrant replacement. I should probably install the check valves next year. Passed smog in the the nick of time. It took 3-4 drives to get all the smog equipment cleared (readiness codes). As usual the smog tester thinks it's two wheel drive and wants to put the car on the dyno then looks at the intercooler and is completely baffled. Back to normal.:to_order:

A nice Andial twin plug from Florida at the shop!