Sponsored by:

CHECK THIS 911 Twin Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2003, 10:24 PM
S2peed
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CHECK THIS 911 Twin Turbo

This post has been deleted due to it's blatent disregard of the self promotion rules associated with this community. You can access the rules here: http://www.rennlist.org/charter.htm and https://rennlist.com/nospam.htm .

Old 08-02-2003, 10:38 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Can you say SPAM? Coincidence that car and poster are in the NYC area. And this was posted at the same time on the 996TT board. Hmmmm, what are the odds.

And someone has WAY too much money to spend on their car. They will be lucky to get 5 cents on the dollar for what they put into it.
Old 08-02-2003, 11:06 PM
ZAMIRZ
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And it's the first thing the guy's ever sold on eBay (0 feedback)..........
Old 08-03-2003, 12:20 AM
bbeckmann
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

60K on the engine?

Hey, I'll tell you what, I'll swap you my TT-S for your car + 50K.
Old 08-03-2003, 06:15 AM
John H. in DC Area
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

This is definitely spam. I remember when this guy excitedly posted pics of this/his car on this board a couple of months ago after it was shown at a car show somewhere; the pics were on a board that required joining before viewing, etc. Ho Hum...

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...threadid=30965
Old 08-03-2003, 06:34 AM
Autobahn
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

You guys are good.

Stunning car although a bit too flashy for my taste.
Old 08-03-2003, 11:29 AM
viperbob
Former Vendor

It is always a shame when people are forced to sell their cars. It is going to be tough for this guy to sell and get a reasonable price with all he has done (i.e. new cams, all spherical bushings). The ride for 99% of the people that can afford the car will be too harsh, and doubtful that it will pass smog in most places..

Got to admit, this guy spent a lot of attention to detail. And spent, and spent....
Old 08-03-2003, 11:47 AM
Glen
Race Car

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

Bob, as You and I know mods rarely add value, usually in fact they reduce it. If he finds that one guy who wants it this way though... who knows. I hope he gets a decent number for it, seems like a nice car, emissions could be a concern as You pointed out. I wonder who doid the work, I bet they could give alot of insight into the car...BTW Bob, talk to Rick in Portland, he may have some wheels for You!
Old 08-03-2003, 12:03 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Thanks Glen. Rick and I are in contact. He is supposed to send the sizes and offset for the wheels along with a picture when he gets them off the car this weekend. Appreciate the help...
Old 08-08-2003, 08:48 PM
BABaracus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hi Rennlisters,
I have been saving (for ages it seems) for a 993 TT and hapened to notice this post, as well as the listing on eBay.
I am pretty much ready to purchase my car, so I am hoping for some advice from you knowledgeable folks on the white 96 993 mentioned above.
It does seem a little extreme and maybe a bit gaudy but I really like the attention to detail...and it is rather different.
So my questions are :
1. Would this car be a bit extreme to drive fairly regularly on the road.
2. What would the issues be other than the Cats for smog testing.
3. Do you forsee maintenance issues with this type of engine upgrade work.
4. Any other comments.

I would really appreciate your feedback.

Regards

- james

Last edited by BABaracus; 08-09-2003 at 05:06 PM.
Old 08-08-2003, 10:13 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Some answers and I am a confirmed Lunatic so review my answers in that light please. Oh, and you will never get the smile off you face after you get one of these cars BTW:

1) This car would be horrible to drive everyday. The part with no rubber left in the suspension and all the sperical bushings means no deflection of the suspension for the track and a car that if it rolls over a dime on the road you can tell from the jolts whether it is heads or tails.

2) The cams that were installed will more than likely cause emissions issues.

3) Maintenance issues? It's a crap shoot. The guy spent an incredible amount of money on the car. That however does not always mean quality. And with a modified engine, anything can happen. And then if they do, who is going to fix it? Not your local Porsche dealer. A delaer close to me recently when I drove in told me "gee we don't see many older cars like that anymore". So dealers are just plain stupid anyway.

4) What kind of car are you looking for? Street. Driver Ed, 100% race? There are a lot of cars out there. Ebay is full of them. Determine what you want to do with the car, and then find one that fits your requirements. Modifications are fun, and REAL expensive on these things. If you are not a mechanic, or wrench-enabled, then maintenance can also be very costly.

Good luck with your search
Old 08-09-2003, 05:34 PM
BABaracus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Bob,
Thank you for the feedback - honestly, I had anticipated most of the comments - I suppose it is just the kid in me, that is so attracted to the racer styling and high hp engine.
I have been following 993TT prices for the last year, but my serious search has just started.
I think my best option would be to purchase a reasonably stock vehicle, then gradually apply the mods that interest me. I plan to use the car almost daily on the street, with some track and drivers ed days thrown into the mix. Being fairly mechanically minded, I will attempt most of the maint and upgrade work myself...any body or electrical I will farm out (except for maybe the short shifter, hammer work - LOL )
Anyway, thxs again - I will let you know how my search goes.

- james
Old 08-09-2003, 07:08 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Snake-handling Bob is touching on the right points, especially things like smog. Some people enjoy keeping a kidney belt in their car, other people think factory springs are stiff, but I'd expect this is a car that would annoy the crap out of you as a daily driver if you live in a city with roads as bad as the logging trails they call highways in the Bay Area.

I think you'd get a good idea of the car by talking with the present owner, checking the history and verifying the paperwork behind the dollars in the car.

If the owner passes a phone call, have him/her fax paperwork and then go for a visit. If he and the car pass a visit, go for a PPI. If all that happens and you've seen and driven the car three or four times and become familiar with it, you'll have a decision.

In my experience, the first visit to almost any car, even a complete, flea-ridden dog, is fun and the car is appealling. The second and third visits, usually involving a trip to a PPI and the car on a hoist with the wheels off and other people asking furrowed-brow questions are when you start to say "no thanks" or "this is the one!"

At least, that's what it took for me.

I maybe "wasted" some serious beer money on PPIs but this gave me the knowledge and detachment to make sensible decisions. Plus I got to know the place that will tune the car and the place that will do minor service work when I'm too lazy.

Looking back on some of the first cars I considered with that dream fog of "well, maybe if I ..." or "all it really needs is ..." I can't believe the tired old junk I was considering. Then again, there was at least one or two cars, looking back, I wish things had worked out and not one of them was a Turbo ... I was also looking at normally aspirated cars including '72 or '73 early 911's and '98 wide body two-wheel drive cars. That might sound like a scattered target range, but I've met numerous other people (and sellers) all reporting the same cars on their shopping list.
Old 08-10-2003, 03:07 PM
BABaracus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Carrera GT,

I intend to be fairly cautious in my search, taking advice from you guys, and a PPI will hopefully weed out any nasty suprises.
I had originally wanted to purchase a 94 3.6 turbo - but after reading comments in the various publications, including Bruce Andersons Performance Handbook, I decided to save a little while longer and get a 993TT. Also, meeting another Rennlister with his car in Seattle, and chatting with him convinced me of this decision.
Anyway, thxs again for the feedback.

- james

Quick Reply: CHECK THIS 911 Twin Turbo