engine rebuild help

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2014, 03:29 PM
Mike W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine rebuild help

Broke my motor - will get full report tmrw - assuming the worst I might has well upgrade to a 3.8? Can anyone who has done this give me an idea of what is needed and gulp - the cost ? thanks
Old 04-09-2014, 07:18 PM
OverBoosted28
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

How, what, where????
Old 04-09-2014, 08:48 PM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

depends on how 'broke' broke is, and what you want to do.. probably easier to give an estimate of a stock rebuild but if you want to upgrade, I think it's more what your budget is - and not how much it will cost.
Old 04-10-2014, 10:32 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,370 Likes on 793 Posts

lets start with...did a rod break?
Old 04-10-2014, 11:55 AM
Shawn O
Intermediate

Sucks man. Sorry to hear it. Do you mind if I ask mileage? Where you ******* it or just one of those things that we all fear?
Old 04-10-2014, 11:59 AM
Mike W
Addict
Rennlist Member

like an idiot I over reved in first. Hit the limiter and the car shut down. Would not restart so I had it towed. My wrench said something is broken inside the motor - hope to know more today.

I have had a problem with second gear so I assume I will get that taken care of when the motor is out. Just wondering if I can upgrade assuming a motor rebuild of some type. Just wondering the cost above the rebuild....
Old 04-10-2014, 12:33 PM
lambotex
Instructor

If you need a stock set of 3.6 pistons I have some and can make you a deal on them. 4k miles on them.
Old 04-10-2014, 01:07 PM
Mike W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by lambotex
If you need a stock set of 3.6 pistons I have some and can make you a deal on them. 4k miles on them.
thanks depending what happens I may take you up on that...

by chance do you have rods?
Old 04-10-2014, 01:14 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

As you can tell by the posts, you need to provide more information - just saying its "broke" is like going to the doctors saying "it hurts" - a lot more questions need to be asked.

If you over-revved it (which under power is hard, downshifting easier, not sure how you did that - is the rev limit higher on your ECU?.. ), you might have either floated a valve and caused an impact, or caused a rod to be thrown. These are different things and can cause different forms of damage. is there oil on the ground, and did a rod punch a hole?

The 3.8L kit is not really worth it in my estimation because of the costs - to really use it properly, you should do the RS valves/cams as well, and then have the engine tuned to accomodate. Looks like you have some mods to push more power out of the engine already. The Turbos are more thermally stressed than the NA engines, so you need to be careful on how much power you try to push out of these engines -

Get the assessment done first - a clean bottom-end rebuild starting with good parts can be $10K plus easily moving to $20K+, so be prepared for some high estimates. Unless you trust your mechanic 100%, with those sort of bucks, its worth getting a few more opinions as well.

Best of luck, post back when you know more, and there is always a lineup of people here suggesting ways to spend your money!

Cheers,

Mike
Old 04-10-2014, 01:27 PM
Mike W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mike J
As you can tell by the posts, you need to provide more information - just saying its "broke" is like going to the doctors saying "it hurts" - a lot more questions need to be asked.

If you over-revved it (which under power is hard, downshifting easier, not sure how you did that - is the rev limit higher on your ECU?.. ), you might have either floated a valve and caused an impact, or caused a rod to be thrown. These are different things and can cause different forms of damage. is there oil on the ground, and did a rod punch a hole?

The 3.8L kit is not really worth it in my estimation because of the costs - to really use it properly, you should do the RS valves/cams as well, and then have the engine tuned to accomodate. Looks like you have some mods to push more power out of the engine already. The Turbos are more thermally stressed than the NA engines, so you need to be careful on how much power you try to push out of these engines -

Get the assessment done first - a clean bottom-end rebuild starting with good parts can be $10K plus easily moving to $20K+, so be prepared for some high estimates. Unless you trust your mechanic 100%, with those sort of bucks, its worth getting a few more opinions as well.

Best of luck, post back when you know more, and there is always a lineup of people here suggesting ways to spend your money!

Cheers,

Mike
thanks - good advice - your right I need more info to know what to do - will keep you guys posted when I find out more (think your right about 3.8)
Old 04-10-2014, 05:37 PM
993Godspeed
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I am somewhat confused here but I was under the assumption our motors or ECU could save us from overreving? Isn't there like a cut of limiter? I have over rev my motor quite a few times and see the limiter cutting power and saving me against disaster quite a few times. Just wondering if something else could have caused your failure.

Is your car stock?
Old 04-10-2014, 05:40 PM
Mike W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 993Godspeed
I am somewhat confused here but I was under the assumption our motors or ECU could save us from overreving? Isn't there like a cut of limiter? I have over rev my motor quite a few times and see the limiter cutting power and saving me against disaster quite a few times. Just wondering if something else could have caused your failure.

Is your car stock?
I thought the limiter would save me as well. But my car is not stock and I had the boost up to 1.1 bar and this probably caused the failure before the limiter was activated.......
Old 04-10-2014, 05:56 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 259 Posts

Maybe your flash removed the limiter. Some flash increases it..
Old 04-10-2014, 06:38 PM
993Godspeed
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike W
I thought the limiter would save me as well. But my car is not stock and I had the boost up to 1.1 bar and this probably caused the failure before the limiter was activated.......
Ah got you, first thing Todd at Protomotive asked was if my motor was built. I guess that's why, he left limiter on.

Sorry that happened to you.
Old 04-10-2014, 07:24 PM
mausone46
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

happens to me weeks ago too, second gear full trottle to pass 2 trucks on Highway, revs going so fast high that limiter stopped me to make things worse
now I try to pay more attention to revs
sometimes in some condition with k24 is not so easy
Giorgio

Quick Reply: engine rebuild help