Notices
993 Turbo Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

$124K for a non S Turbo 41K miles is a silly price?

Old 03-15-2014, 12:50 PM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default $124K for a non S Turbo 41K miles is a silly price?

I was Farting around the duPont Registry looking for the 993 Turbo I'm going to buy some day and I came across a 993 non S Turbo. Get this they want, if you read the topic, this dealership wants $124,000 for a car that has 41,000 miles. You can see the car here.

I know there are a lot of enthusiast that visit this forum and are very familiar with current prices. To me the price is far, far too excessive. The car appears to be an number 1 example on a 1 to 5 scale where a 1 is superlative.

I follow the market prices for most Porsches from 993 onward. And for this example that this Dealership is offering being a non S and having 41K miles on it isn't even worth 6 figures. For one thing I feel that Kelly Blue Book is a poor source for valuation on Porsches older than the 996 iterations. I would like to see this car at auction in Monterey during Pebble Beach without reserve and see what it really fetches. Personally I wouldn't pay more than $65,000 for this car at auction. Does anyone believe that I under-value this car with this mileage? For sure I know they are asking far too much, this dealership is for this car. Maybe if the car was an S would it be about that Valuable! Further, it would need a clean PPI, the first thing that comes to my mind are the Turbos and what shape they are in. There is just too much that can go wrong with a car with this mileage and (PROBABLY) receives little use. From watching "Chasing Classic Cars" it just gives me a bad feeling.

Primarily from this post I'm asking what others think the value of this car is and if they are asking for way too much.

The 993 Turbo was the first Porsche I fell in love with after I graduated High School. When I was working at Starbucks Coffee in Belmont Shore there was a lawyer who had one in Arena Red and a Tan Interior. Thats why when I do pull the trigger the car must be Arena Red!

I really like the current Turbo and would like it in Arena Red but I feel Paint to Sample is way over priced at around $8,000! I've talked to real Porsche rep's from the Tequipment division and they say the color would be no problem since Porsche used it in the past. But the do have another Dark Maroon color but I forget the name of the color.

I will end my Babbling now, thanks for your responses!
Old 03-15-2014, 02:10 PM
OverBoosted28
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Exterior color and unique interior will command more in regards to rarity but the price is a tad much. Your estimate is a tad low. Not sure on market for that color. If there's a buyer looking solely for investing in something not many people have, than this would be one of those. I don't mind the gold but I think I might tire of it after a bit.
Old 03-15-2014, 02:17 PM
CT944
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 110 Posts

I think this car was recently for sale for $99k on Cars.com or Autotrader.com.
Old 03-15-2014, 02:34 PM
Ridin Dirty
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

answer.

1. It's all in your perspective. This seller is looking at this car as essentially a 1 off. And it does have some unique and less seen options. That's how one could arrive at this price and actually it's not unreasonable given these unique aspects.

2. Now for the bad....In my most humble opinion... For as beautiful and timeless as these cars were/are it was still the 90's and upon looking at this one has to scratch ones head and say "what were they thinking?" Example: the chrome wheels were period for the car but.....from a collectors point of view you typically search for the finest examples not necessarily the most odd ones.

so IMO indeed 124k is pricey especially for this particular example. And you had made reference to a turbo s for this price but actually for a nice example of an "s" you would need about double that amount.
Old 03-15-2014, 02:40 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

$124K is crazy money for this car, IMHO. BTW this particular car has been for sale for a LONG time. At $124K asking, no wonder.

If it were an under 20K mile 993TT with a desirable color, say, black/black with some tasty options and mods, then maybe $124K might, MIGHT, make more sense.

But this car? Uhhh, no.

The exterior color makes me wonder if this is an ex-Mr T. car
Old 03-15-2014, 02:58 PM
Knight
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 42 Posts

$65K will not get you a TT in this mileage range, there is pretty much no debate needed. Unless you literally find someone selling who has no idea what they have...

If you've been somewhat following the market, honestly this in the 993 C2S/C4S range for clean examples.

40K miles, no stories car, traditional color, 6 figure range no problem IMO. Desirable PTS or say speed yellow, easily tag on a nice premium.

Someone I know was looking and inquired about this car, it was already sold $125K.

http://sloancars.com/4202/1997-993-t...k-29000-miles/
Old 03-15-2014, 04:02 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,368 Likes on 792 Posts

Originally Posted by Knight
40K miles, no stories car, traditional color, 6 figure range no problem IMO.

Someone I know was looking and inquired about this car, it was already sold $125K.

http://sloancars.com/4202/1997-993-t...k-29000-miles/
$100k for a 40k mile car? no chance.

$125k for that sloan car? someone is lying.
Old 03-15-2014, 04:20 PM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Page 201 duPont Registry December 2010, mileage not listed but 6 speed 1996 Aventurine Green, asking $57,950.

I imagine higher mileage 50K-80K and sure 3 years plus 3 months ago. And this was a dealership's advert! Again full PPI before purchase.

If I could have the money in hand and be able to go to all the auctions during Pebble Beach I can find that Arena Red Turbo with less than 25,000 miles for $75K-$80K, probably even less.

When I said $65K I meant more or less at auction. Personally I don't think that car is worth beyond that value. Especially if they tried to sell it at a Mecum auctions that's for damn sure.
Old 03-15-2014, 04:29 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by Knight
Someone I know was looking and inquired about this car, it was already sold $125K. http://sloancars.com/4202/1997-993-t...k-29000-miles/
Something doesn't add up with that, since I called Sloan a very short while ago and he quoted me $110K for it
Old 03-15-2014, 04:40 PM
Ridin Dirty
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tacet-Conundrum

If I could have the money in hand and be able to go to all the auctions during Pebble Beach I can find that Arena Red Turbo with less than 25,000 miles for $75K-$80K, probably even less.

There's no way. That's at least 100+ in today's money. And even that would be a GREAT deal.
Old 03-15-2014, 06:25 PM
Knight
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
$100k for a 40k mile car? no chance.

$125k for that sloan car? someone is lying.
Yep no problem 40K miles, clean, $100K I place my bet on that. I know we are priced a bit higher in Canada, but one just literally sold last week in a day in Vancouver (with stories and not clean) and there was a lineup of buyers if it fell thru too. Makes no sense to some, but that's the market.

Didn't an ebay auction just end a few weeks ago, GR 993TT, 54K miles, $87K.

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
Something doesn't add up with that, since I called Sloan a very short while ago and he quoted me $110K for it
Only what I was told gents!

If this is true, then he's been lying about the sold price or jacking up the future price up for us Canadians intending to buy. This info I just received last night.

Last edited by Knight; 03-15-2014 at 06:41 PM.
Old 03-15-2014, 06:33 PM
solomonschris
Burning Brakes

Imagine how foolish I now feel after selling my Arena Red/Cashmere TT with 28K, fresh top end and a bunch of other new, while your in there stuff, for 82K last spring. I sold the car going up in value and kept the one going down. I love my 991C2S Cab, but I regret the decision I made. I was hoping to find a nice speedster but if you think 993TT prices have gone "tulip bulb", check out speedster prices. I'm still driving a great P car so I'm in no position to whine.
Old 03-15-2014, 06:58 PM
993TurboS
Burning Brakes

Received 253 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by Tacet-Conundrum
Page 201 duPont Registry December 2010, mileage not listed but 6 speed 1996 Aventurine Green, asking $57,950.

I imagine higher mileage 50K-80K and sure 3 years plus 3 months ago. And this was a dealership's advert! Again full PPI before purchase.

When I said $65K I meant more or less at auction. Personally I don't think that car is worth beyond that value. Especially if they tried to sell it at a Mecum auctions that's for damn sure.
I don't get what the 2010 data is for. There is plenty of current data. The S & P 500 was at 700 in 2009, what does that have to do with today's value?
Old 03-15-2014, 07:37 PM
Parnelli
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

That dealership has listed that gold car in Dupont Reg for a long time. Originally they had a @ $89K ...recently they bumped it up to $99K. If you think you are getting a 40K mile TT for $65K you are DREAMING (I am guessing this has to do with the fact that u are a buyer . ) What you "think it's worth" and what is actually sells for are 2 different numbers. Especially given the low quantity of nice TT's that are actually available for sale.
Old 03-15-2014, 08:24 PM
Johnny_law
Pro

Originally Posted by Parnelli
That dealership has listed that gold car in Dupont Reg for a long time. Originally they had a @ $89K ...recently they bumped it up to $99K. If you think you are getting a 40K mile TT for $65K you are DREAMING (I am guessing this has to do with the fact that u are a buyer . ) What you "think it's worth" and what is actually sells for are 2 different numbers. Especially given the low quantity of nice TT's that are actually available for sale.
Parnelli is right. When I started looking for my TT back on April 2013 I was crazed to buy. I actually put a deposit on this car for a weekend until I came to to my senses. At the time the asking price was 90K other cars at the time with 40K were commanding prices in the $72-80K range. The car is loaded with options and definitely is a one of a kind, but in the end you will be hard pressed to sell it for a premium. IMO R&H doesn't really want to sell it. I believe because of it's uniqueness it is priced high for comparable mileage cars so as the market goes up so does the sell price on this car. R&H raised the price of the car to $100K just a month ago or more, now again.

I think it just is indicative of the current market for these cars.

I'm glad I ended up with my car 6 months ago, I don't need to fret the increases in prices.

Johnny

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: $124K for a non S Turbo 41K miles is a silly price?