Sponsored by:

Oil change / cleanup, now little boost

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2014, 12:28 PM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by rlme36
I don't see any cracks or splits in them so figure use them till they are toast, no?
I'd continue to use the old hoses, why fix something that's not broke. I know I'm probably in the minority when I say that I liked the original old non orange tipped ones better - I just thought they fit better and the clamps didn't cut into them like they do on the orange ones..
Old 03-02-2014, 01:00 PM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Oh and just carry your new ones in the frunk as a spare and don't leave them on your shelf. (My usable spare was my old black ones, the oranges ones I couldn't reuse - In addition to the relay/few fuses/belts) ask me how I know..
Old 03-02-2014, 01:45 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Basal Skull
I'd continue to use the old hoses, why fix something that's not broke.
You certainly are not alone - the original hoses work just fine for me as well, the same for a few other Turbos around here. Sometime people just gotta have the new stuff, and I will replace the hoses when it's time - but they are in good shape so it's not time yet. I have a bit of fraying on the top of the right one, but its not an issue.

I do use Breeze clamps on the top though - have not gotten around to putting them on the bottom near the turbos, since I think some sheet metal work would be required to fit them.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 03-02-2014, 02:14 PM
OverBoosted28
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike J
You certainly are not alone - the original hoses work just fine for me as well, the same for a few other Turbos around here. Sometime people just gotta have the new stuff, and I will replace the hoses when it's time - but they are in good shape so it's not time yet. I have a bit of fraying on the top of the right one, but its not an issue.

I do use Breeze clamps on the top though - have not gotten around to putting them on the bottom near the turbos, since I think some sheet metal work would be required to fit them.

Cheers,

Mike
In my case it wasn't jumping on the bandwagon. I don't have that money to spare. I was regularly losing the pass. hose at the intercooler. Not fun trying to get it back on, on the side of the road. Worse if your in the boost to pass a group, who then pass you under the hood on the side of the road. Entertaining for them I'm sure
Tried a few attempts atmaking my own out of aluminum tubing. Would've worked if I could get them in. Need a little play to squeeze them in. Engine out would've been possible.
Old 03-02-2014, 02:23 PM
Johnny_law
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did order the new updated hoses, but I have to tell you that now that I have my old hoses dialed in I see no need to swap them out. Boost comes on early 3200-3600 and stay at full boost until I shift. At least in 3rd gear, bit harder to keep my eye on the boost gauge in 4th. Still haven't done High Speed boost pull in 5th or 6th gear.

I will install my Breeze Clamps, if I find I need to trim the tin at the turbo end then the old ones will go back on. I think the OEM hose on the passenger side is a about 1/4-3/8" short on the turbo end. If it was a bit longer I could get the upper end to sit just right at the intercooler end and have plenty of overlap to put the Breeze clamp on. As it sits now the intercooler side the hose has a bit of tension on it sit just right and there really isn't a great amount of overlap on the turbo.

If the updated hoses are a bit longer then I will definitely install the new ones.

I have already got a DME relay, now spare hoses, maybe some spare Breeze Clamps for the turbo end. Now to put a tool kit/parts kit together. I was very impressed with Mike J and what he had with him when he became the de-facto local mechanic at 2013 993 FEST. I think I may get close to copying him except for his wisdom but I'm working on that.
Old 03-02-2014, 02:32 PM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Johnny_law
If the updated hoses are a bit longer then I will definitely install the new ones.
The updated ones unfortunately are not any longer, if anything stiffer and won't stretch as much as the old black ones.

Now the S Car Go ones are nice, I don't feel I need to carry a spare with those!
Old 03-02-2014, 04:34 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnny_law
I was very impressed with Mike J and what he had with him when he became the de-facto local mechanic at 2013 993 FEST. I think I may get close to copying him except for his wisdom but I'm working on that.
Only guy silly enough to load his car down with extra tools!
Old 03-02-2014, 06:38 PM
rlme36
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts

I have the breeze clamps on top as well. I'll put them in the car, no sense in tempting fate I guess.

Quick Reply: Oil change / cleanup, now little boost