Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

diy carbon fiber bits

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2014, 12:09 AM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Hopefully I’m not boring you guys with more posts…
Was supposed to be in San Diego for a meeting this weekend but got delayed/missed connections/got stuck in San Francisco – that airport must be the worst, if it isn’t the late flights from back east d/t to snow, it’s the fog preventing flights from landing/leaving… crazy but ended up spending 3-4 hours in the customer service line in San Francisco and after finding out I can’t get a flight out to San Diego for 2 days, decided to fly back to Vancouver – what a waste of a day.
Anyhoo, gave me time with family/spent Valentines day with my wife and had time to make this. I think is pretty cool that Porsche still used wood… I made one a while back in aluminum but it was heavier than wood, CF is a little lighter.
Attached Images       
Old 02-17-2014, 12:22 AM
Johnny_law
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That really looks pretty good. Didn't save too much over the wood but still some weight savings. A big weight savings over the aluminum.

Have you totaled up all the weight savings?

But as I was reading through your post I was expecting that you made a vase for flowers. LOL

Johnny
Old 02-17-2014, 01:59 AM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Johnny_law
That really looks pretty good.
Have you totaled up all the weight savings?
Thanx!
I have a few more things I can do, need to go get more material though, have almost run out of cloth and resin.
I was just going to write that I will take it to the truck scales in the spring to weigh the car but just remembered I have scales! https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=28499
Old 02-17-2014, 03:02 AM
OverBoosted28
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Hey you seriously need help. Does your boss know you have this much free time on your hands? Are you getting your materials from a race or marine source?
Old 02-17-2014, 07:46 AM
jhg41977
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Could you (maybe you already have) write a thread with where you get supplies, and a general how to? I would like to try making a few things as well. Looks great btw!
Old 02-17-2014, 04:18 PM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by OverBoosted28
Hey you seriously need help. Does your boss know you have this much free time on your hands? Are you getting your materials from a race or marine source?
I know...
Do you mean my wife? she tolerates me, I have to keep track on a post-it on the kitchen cupboard how much I spend since she will want to spend the same (or more) on herself
I'm generally swamped at work but make time for this kind of stuff since it's what keeps me sane.
I had to search quite a bit and call a few places for the materials, managed to find a local shop (after finding US suppliers won't ship this kind of stuff across the boarder) who have been supportive and helpful www.fibertek.co (or www.fibertek.ca)

Originally Posted by jhg41977
Could you (maybe you already have) write a thread with where you get supplies, and a general how to? I would like to try making a few things as well. Looks great btw!
Not much to it actually, I must be the worst for reading things on the internet/watching youtube videos and thinking "I can do it". And I don't mind making mistakes/'tuition'/enjoy learning things. Most things you want to make needs some form of a mold, and need mold release agent (so that you can separate the cf part from the mold once set). The cf cloth differs depending on if you want to mostly make something flat vs more shapely. Epoxy resin just needs to be measured and mixed accordingly. There's a lot of different formulations, different curing time/temp but I relied on the recommendation of the store clerk after I explained the stuff I wanted to do (see previous pics). Rest is just trial and error/strategizing about it. The newer resins are pretty user friendly, just wear a mask/gloves when sanding/cutting since CF slivers are nasty, cf/resin dust likely bad for the lungs and can cause skin irritation.
Old 04-13-2014, 11:50 PM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Dead pedal
Attached Images  
Old 04-13-2014, 11:51 PM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

transmission cover
Attached Images     
Old 04-13-2014, 11:52 PM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

battery mount
Attached Images    
Old 04-14-2014, 12:07 AM
lopro
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

interesting work man Nice job.
Old 04-14-2014, 08:59 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,444 Likes on 836 Posts

holy **** dude, is there anything that isn't carbon at this point lol.
Old 04-14-2014, 09:29 AM
tacker
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

nice work, I've made a airbox using CF and I can say it's a very long process that requires allot of Patience.
Old 04-14-2014, 02:12 PM
Ag02M5
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great stuff. Signing on for updates.
Old 04-14-2014, 04:43 PM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

thanx guys!

Originally Posted by tacker
nice work, I've made a airbox using CF and I can say it's a very long process that requires allot of Patience.
I don't think the stuff I've made is up to par with your's Mike, but functional and good enough for me. I could make it look prettier I suppose but would need too much work. Pics of your air box was one of the things that made me look into playing with CF!
Old 04-15-2014, 11:12 PM
TouringTeg
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very impressive work. Adding lightness is a great way to make your car faster and improve gas mileage

Quick Reply: diy carbon fiber bits