993 Turbo Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RUF Turbo R... A Proper Introduction

Old 02-15-2014, 09:59 AM
sfbanchs
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 52 Posts

car is perfect. I noticed you switched back to the Porsche badge on the hood. Are you going to leave it like that or put the RUF one back on?
Old 02-15-2014, 10:20 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,387 Likes on 2,509 Posts

It amazing that something as "simple" as a shaved gutter does to the apperance of a +17 year young Porsche. Well done, all around. Anotheronesaved.
Old 02-15-2014, 12:08 PM
993 770
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sfbanchs
car is perfect. I noticed you switched back to the Porsche badge on the hood. Are you going to leave it like that or put the RUF one back on?
I was waiting for someone to notice! I'll be going back to the RUF badge. The old one got misplaced somewhere at the shop and I'll have a new one on in no time.

I really want to thank everyone here for making RL what it is. I would have never bought this car, nor had the confidence to undertake a project like this without y'all. I literally got more compliments, thumbs up, and head nods in my short drive to and from the office than I thought possible. It really is special.

As for the wheels, they are staying for now. In all likelihood I'll take em back to silver eventually, but not quite yet... I have a few gremlins to work out with Eddie, which I expect to be all simple fixes and I'll be set! (Like that's possible)

More than anything I got a huge compliment from my old man, who is the furthest thing from a car guy as anyone could be. When he saw her yesterday for the first time, I got a simple "you got another one" to which I told him how this one was "special" as we started to walk by it. But then something that has never happened before... he did a double take, and proceeded to walk around her really slowly, then he stopped and stared at the rear and said "beautiful".

Now that may not seem like a big deal, but this is coming from the same person who has parked next to my sisters 991 cab (yup, I'm an enabler) for the last 2 months and has yet to notice that she got rid of her range rover. So it's a much bigger deal that he actually noticed at all, let alone hand out a very rare compliment.

Anyway, I'll put up some more pics as I drive her some more, but for now... perfection
Old 02-15-2014, 02:09 PM
sfbanchs
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 52 Posts
Default Go Easy on me

here are some pics i took of our cars together a few years back when your RUF lived in miami, we had the same tech servicing our cars and i happen to bump into yours on multiple occasions. Go easy but i personally think you should go back to the HRE wheels that were on there as oppsoed to the balck ruf wheels, imo they really made the car come alive, if not then for sure silver ruf wheels
Attached Images         
Old 02-15-2014, 02:20 PM
Onami
Rennlist Member

Received 675 Likes on 446 Posts

Many years ago I read an article that basically said that wheels are to a car what eyes are to a beautiful woman...I hate dating girls with black eyes
Old 02-15-2014, 06:02 PM
mickfluff
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Default well done.....

The car looks amazing..... congrats and sincerely wish you well with the car....I am so happy someone took the car to a place I had always envisioned and wanted it to be. Just wish it was in my garage.....

Black wheels surely not for everyone but in person can tell you the car looks very nice with the wheels and the looming yellow calipers peaking through..... While in motion the contrast is stunning... that said I love factory finish of RUFs as well. Maybe get a second set down the road and can go back and forth!

Black wheels are hard to photo that is for certain....this pic may help the none believers just a bit....

Take care and excuse me as I polish off a bottle of scotch in my empty garage bay..... I am sports car less for now but will be back hopefully. Likely never a car as rare and special as a 993tt Ruf Turbo R (98+rwd!) but something neat I hope...

Be well.....

(and thank you from Porsche owners world wide and the RUF gods above for removing the Gambella side skirts)
Attached Images  

Last edited by mickfluff; 02-16-2014 at 06:26 PM.
Old 02-15-2014, 07:25 PM
CT944
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 110 Posts

Looks great, congrats!
Old 03-05-2014, 04:15 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Looks spectacular, I'd also do the silver wheels. just personal preference, I like to read Ruf on the centercap.
Old 03-06-2014, 10:52 AM
dbf73
Boost Junkie
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
I like to read Ruf on the centercap.
perhaps do the Ruf in the caps in yellow to match the calipers
Old 03-08-2014, 09:57 AM
rapvon
6th Gear

the Dollars shouln't be that much difference concerning body works, but ok the mirrors need to be replace by RUF one's which may not be cheap !
Old 04-20-2014, 11:36 AM
993 770
Pro

Update time...

Since I've had some time to enjoy my car and started down the slippery slope I'm debating a major interior change. I finally purchased the 993 sport seats (heated!), and was going to recover them in a matching blue. But here's what happened...my headliner and rear shelf have a couple of not so perfect areas so I took it to GAHH here in LA with the intention of a new headliner and to essentially put leather everywhere.

Now the question... Do I change the interior to red? I love red interior, but...

1. It's no longer the original color, so does it hurt long term value even if nothing is original anymore anyway?
2. It's pretty flashy on an already (pretty) flashy car
3. I plan on keeping the carpet and steering wheel black, so would two tone look funny?
4. Am I crazy to keep gravitating to red?

Thanks for the input everybody...
Old 04-20-2014, 12:28 PM
Nurburger
Rennlist Member

Received 552 Likes on 243 Posts

I love red interiors - especially when the carpeting is deviated black. My first C4S had just about my favorite interior - boxster red:

IMO, your car would look less flashy with a boxster or chestnut / black interior than it would with flamenco or can-can.

Regarding value - I wouldn't sweat it. Your adding value by going from a vinyl interior to full leather.
Old 04-20-2014, 03:37 PM
Knight
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 42 Posts

I say do it, you only live once might as well make it exactly the way you want!

Agreed in terms of value, your upgrading the interior. As well, the car is far from original now in terms of exterior paint, low mileage factory engine, garage queen etc. So honestly changing out the interior color isn't going to have a negative effect at all.

Personally I love white on red and also colors like artic silver on red. The contrast and extra flash I think will totally suit your car! I believe you have CF, so along with that it will look perfect in red. Here are some shots I have on my hard drive.
Attached Images    
Old 04-20-2014, 03:52 PM
993 770
Pro

I assumed as much in terms of messing with value since there isn't much OG anyway, but now I need help with what red! Any idea what specific reds those are? What do I do with the headliner... Alcantara?

In regards to the CF, I'm thinking I add CF RS panels and do the top strip to match the red dash. Pretty minimal since I'm doing just about everything already.
Old 04-20-2014, 04:37 PM
hillsdonsmith
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 993 770
I assumed as much in terms of messing with value since there isn't much OG anyway, but now I need help with what red! Any idea what specific reds those are? What do I do with the headliner... Alcantara?

In regards to the CF, I'm thinking I add CF RS panels and do the top strip to match the red dash. Pretty minimal since I'm doing just about everything already.
I bought my car sight unseen and was a bit nervous about how the red would look. As you know, the same red can look very different when photographed under different lighting conditions and with different camera settings. This is "Flamenco Red". I think it looks great and the black floor mats and black dash break it up nicely. Headliner is black. Your upholsterer should be able to provide you with a lot of sample swatches - it's incredible how a slight change in colour is so obvious. Flamenco (only avail from Porsche) is hard to copy - when I had the front seats recovered, this red is in the "Raspberry" end of the spectrum .

I think your car would look simply amazing in red and IMHO much better than blue.

Good luck!

Mark
Attached Images    

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: RUF Turbo R... A Proper Introduction