Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'd like to punch porsche engineers in the di&k

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2013, 02:46 PM
DM993tt
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

piece of cake job with the engine out. First time I changed mine, I noticed po (or shop) only changed 5 plugs before giving up. Apparently its common for shops to do that. Impressed with your persistance Oli.
Old 10-21-2013, 03:31 PM
Augustomf
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by DM993tt
piece of cake job with the engine out. First time I changed mine, I noticed po (or shop) only changed 5 plugs before giving up. Apparently its common for shops to do that. Impressed with your persistance Oli.
That is why sometimes it is better to do it yourself at home, Tech might not do it, charge you for having it done, and you will never be able to know if he did it. (Happen to me more then once with other cars, only caught it because I marked sparkplugs and filters with nail polish before taking the car to the dealer, yes it is true)

For my 993 I used to have an articulated sparkplug socket, really helped.

something like this:

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...=0CCwQrQMwADgU

Use that a small extention and another universal joint then a longer extention to your wrench. In all you have two articulation points.
hope it helps next time.
Old 10-21-2013, 05:25 PM
993Godspeed
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
sure do. heavy duty from harbor freight. Problem with this job is not so much cuts, but abrasions. There are a lot tight areas where you have to squeeze your hand through. combine that with a little bit of sweat in the gloves and your skin gets awfully soft.

My hands are more sore from being banged around than cut up, but yeah, one knuckle definitely needed a bandaid, lol
+1, I have the exact same gloves!! Lol. I threw them out after 2 mins into changing the plugs. What I did try were the latex ones, at least helped keep the grease of the nails for a little bit then as soon as skin starts to come off my hand I no longer use them. Tight as a ****.
Old 10-21-2013, 06:04 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,444 Likes on 836 Posts

Originally Posted by DM993tt
haha, thanks. We don't give up too easy.

If we skipped #5, the whole process wouldn't have been bad. Another 2 inches of engine bay space would make all the difference.
Old 10-21-2013, 06:33 PM
doc_porsche
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

sometimes im glad i have no desire to work on my turbo
Old 10-21-2013, 07:27 PM
Johnny_law
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Note to self... Start slush fund for mechanic's boat payment.

Thanks for the heads up.
Old 10-21-2013, 07:30 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 315 Likes on 263 Posts

Originally Posted by Augustomf
That is why sometimes it is better to do it yourself at home, Tech might not do it, charge you for having it done, and you will never be able to know if he did it. (Happen to me more then once with other cars, only caught it because I marked sparkplugs and filters with nail polish before taking the car to the dealer, yes it is true)

For my 993 I used to have an articulated sparkplug socket, really helped.

something like this:

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...=0CCwQrQMwADgU

Use that a small extention and another universal joint then a longer extention to your wrench. In all you have two articulation points.
hope it helps next time.
Would this apply to turbos also or just NA motors?
Old 10-21-2013, 09:20 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,444 Likes on 836 Posts

really its a combination of just the right extension length and well placed swivel.

If i could weld, I would cut down a longer extension down to about 4.25".

Any longer and you may not be able to get it into the plug hole. Shorter than 3" and you run the risk of it getting caught under the lip of the valve cover.

Lets not talk about the stripped threads on the throttle body that needed a jerryrigged solution until i can timesert it.
Old 10-21-2013, 09:30 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,416 Likes on 2,519 Posts

Originally Posted by rlme36
What is the reco service interval for them? Want to plan my free weekends accordingly

Rob
Every 24,000 miles IIRC.
Old 10-21-2013, 10:21 PM
Tonydec
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 107 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by chsu74
Even my NA was a bear. I used a knuckle (articulated) joint as well as a 3/8" drive swivel ratchet head.
Old 10-21-2013, 10:24 PM
Tonydec
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 107 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by chsu74
Even my NA was a bear. I used a knuckle (articulated) joint as well as a swivel head ratchet head. Even worse is if you drop a plug off the socket. The air fins seem to have a larger space just after the heads, so you play hell trying to get the socket to grab the plug if it falls off, it's not a straight shot. Even with a magnetic socket, I still put some painters tape on the inside of the socket for a little more grip.

Quick Reply: I'd like to punch porsche engineers in the di&k