Sponsored by:

Happy "New To Me" 993 Twin Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2013, 01:02 AM
DoninDen
Three Wheelin'

Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Happy "New To Me" 993 Twin Turbo

Last night I took delivery of a '96 Midnight Blue TT. Today, I drove it! Coming from a 997 4S Targa, that was modified with plenum, racing headers, 200 cell cats and performance mufflers the weight to HP may have been within the same township, but the pull from those turbos is truly sublime!

I immediately noticed the lack of some creature features that I was accustomed to (no key fob button to open the frunk!) and the fact as a big guy it's noticeably more tight in the 993 TT.

The idiosyncrasies of the climate system (and the fact that my A/C needs to be periodically recharged) and the digital read out of the outside temperature under the tach as opposed to speed will take some getting used to. I appear to need to lock and unlock the car once the key has been removed from the ignition is this normal?

Normally it takes me awhile to like a new car. I have to learn how to drive a new car. But after one day driving I really like the 993 TT!
Old 08-25-2013, 01:18 AM
PiB993
Rennlist Member

Received 154 Likes on 100 Posts

That is normal about the key. I think it times out after 3mins. There is a trick to not have to lock and unlock but I forget how it works. My mech told me and I promptly forgot. I was shocked by the ergonomics too at first but they make the car . . . quaint.
Old 08-25-2013, 02:38 AM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by DoninDen

The idiosyncrasies of the climate system (and the fact that my A/C needs to be periodically recharged) and the digital read out of the outside temperature under the tach as opposed to speed will take some getting used to.
Congrats!
The ac shouldn't need to be recharged periodically, I haven't recharged mine in 8 yrs..., the digital readout can be changed to read a few different things, most leave it on boost/bar I think.
Enjoy!
Old 08-25-2013, 02:41 AM
doublecabmel
Three Wheelin'

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

So you definitely have the on board computer. What other options do you have?
Old 08-25-2013, 03:21 AM
Knight
Drifting

Received 76 Likes on 43 Posts

Congrats, let see some pics!

The spartan interior and idiosyncrasies of the 993 is what you will grow to realize makes it so special, night and day vs a 997.
Old 08-25-2013, 03:48 AM
carbonGT
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 9 Posts

Congrats on the car...Midnight Blue is my fav color too. I'm still searching one for myself too...
Old 08-25-2013, 01:28 PM
Tokyo Joe
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 5 Posts

Congrats, never seen a turbo in that colour...got any pics?

Old 08-25-2013, 05:02 PM
bbs993tt
Rennlist Member

Received 357 Likes on 188 Posts

I appear to need to lock and unlock the car once the key has been removed from the ignition is this normal?
Congratulations on the new turbo but you must post obligatory pics.

As another said, if you don't restart the car within 3 or so minutes, the immobilizer kills it. You don't, however, have to lock/unlock to get going. You can turn the key to the first position on the ignition and then push the button on the key fob. That will disable the immobilizer and allow you to start the car.
Old 08-25-2013, 08:00 PM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

Received 301 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by bbs993tt

As another said, if you don't restart the car within 3 or so minutes, the immobilizer kills it. You don't, however, have to lock/unlock to get going. You can turn the key to the first position on the ignition and then push the button on the key fob. That will disable the immobilizer and allow you to start the car.
Jeez, I wish someone posted that one 4 years ago!
Old 08-25-2013, 08:12 PM
DoninDen
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by doublecabmel
So you definitely have the on board computer. What other options do you have?
Here are the codes that were listed, what does the on board computer do?

Code Option Description
454 Automatic speed control
650 Sunroof
688 Radio cd CDR210
C02 Equipped with catalytic converter
Old 08-25-2013, 08:15 PM
DoninDen
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by bbs993tt

That's a better way to do it, I wonder if the immobilizes can be immobilized. There have been a couple 993s stolen in LA recently, how effective is the immobilizer?
Old 08-25-2013, 08:19 PM
DoninDen
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Tokyo Joe
Congrats, never seen a turbo in that colour...got any pics?

Sure, but I have to apologize I am using an iPad and don't seem to be able to shrink the image. It can at times look black or as in this photo look very blue. In general it is a very dark and glossy blue black.
Attached Images  
Old 08-26-2013, 12:43 AM
OverBoosted28
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Regarding the on board computer. The smaller stalk on the left side of steering column says menu on it. While the ignition is on or car running you can scroll thru outside temp,mpgs, trip odometer, distance to empty, mph and boost/bar. Regarding the immobilizer. When you've shut the car off or have gotten in car and not started it immed. you will need to use the button on the key fob. In the clock are status lights, seatbelt, brakes, and a couple of others I don't remember right now. The light in the clock at about the 3 o-clock-3:15 position is an icon that looks like a transmitter transmitting right above the timing chain and gears. This is the immobilzer icon/light. Turn on the ignition, press the fob and the light will go out then your car will start. I wouldn't disable the immobilizer system. Not only might stop them from taking it but will eliminate one more way for insurance company to try and wash their hands of responsibilty. Hope this clears some things up. Start enjoying one of the best rides available no matter the price. Not many cars are built like these bank vaults.

Last edited by OverBoosted28; 08-26-2013 at 01:46 PM.
Old 08-26-2013, 01:06 AM
Chris V
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sure, but I have to apologize I am using an iPad and don't seem to be able to shrink the image.
Great looking car. You can email the original pic to yourself in a smaller format, then save it to your camera roll when you open the email. Now you have a smaller format to post (it wiill be the last picture in the camera roll)
Old 08-26-2013, 03:14 PM
ECS Tuning
Former Vendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Congratulations on the purchase!! That color looks amazing, need a few more though.

Quick Reply: Happy "New To Me" 993 Twin Turbo